ZIMBABWE Hunting Information

full

full

full

I am headed to hunt with Martin Pieters in the Zambezi Valley by lake Kariba. I have about a month till I leave and I can't get much work done because all I can think about is Safari! Im already planning my packing etc. Of course I've been shooting my gun and have it where I want it. Now I just need to go at night and practice on some varmints so I am used to shooting in the dark. I think the .375 Ruger will not leave much left of a fox or coon! I live on a ranch so I get to do these things on a daily basis. I have a sat phone, global rescue, and my PH is getting me a sim card for my iPhone as well. Lots of traveling to get there so I am already praying that all goes well!
Regards,
Philip

@Philip Glass did you do a trip report? Would love to hear the tales.

Zimbabwe travel warnings:

The IATA globally handles reconciliation of debits and credits for airlines. They also demand minimum quality and conduct from their carriers. Zim continues to lose IATA certification on Air Zim.

It gets worse. Currency is being pumped into Zim in funny money bonds. These bonds are worthless, just some people don't know it yet. This results in Zim travel industry owing global airlines huge money for travel booked in Zim but Zim has no foreign reserves or hard US dollars to pay their bill and the carriers won't accept Zim bond notes.

The dominos continue to fall. Quantas has stopped service for Zim bookings. Emirates will surely follow. Your flights are in jeopardy if most people on the plane paid in Zim and Zim won't pay the airline. In short, Zim owes airlines on passengers behalfs but cannot pay, typical Ponzi scheme.

Remain vigilant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...ets-in-zimbabwe-due-to-cash-shortage-j1dp2uz7

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.25.00 AM.png

Quick question, although i think i know the answer, anyone travel with a camo backpack in Zimbabwe? I don't have a normal one and heading out in less than two weeks?

Where in Zim are you flying into? I flew into Bulawayo from JNB and I saw people with camo and it didn't seem to be an issue. Heck, my PH, John Sharp, had camo shorts and he was chatting with several airport officials along the way. Of course he also shared a few bags of biltong along the way...........

If you are flying into Harare, it might be a different story.

Quick question, although i think i know the answer, anyone travel with a camo backpack in Zimbabwe? I don't have a normal one and heading out in less than two weeks?
I would not be concerned about hat or pack. Jacket, shirt or pants NO!

Through Harare and up to Makuti in the Northwest by Mana Pools. Mbalabala. Thanks for the info guys.

in the bush it doesn't matter.
In the cities, I'm sure you make some bad memories as a white man.
Best color I find grey of elephants
Do you see him? He is very close,no 40meters.
Elefant camo.JPG

In some areas of Zim, (Dangerous Game Areas) they have a policy to shoot poachers on site. In other areas, they can engage and shoot poachers that are armed. Poachers wear camo fatigues. Camo is illegal because it represents military and paramilitary activities in Zim. Anti-poaching patrols have been shot and killed in recent years by mistaken identity.

Adding up all those facts, why take a chance when it is A.) Illegal, B.) Will increase your odds of being shot/killed/mistaken for a poacher.?

Perhaps i missed it, but my understanding is that there is an arms imbargo against Zimbabwe from both the EU and Canada. Pretty important information. Hunters may not legally bring firearms from those countries into Zimbabwe. To do so risks criminal charges in their home country. Why no mention?

Arms embargo
It is prohibited to export, sell, supply or transfer military goods and technology to Zimbabwe. You should also be aware that there are prohibitions if you are providing technical assistance, financing and financial assistance, and brokering services related to these items or to military activities.Aug 13, 2012
Trade sanctions on Zimbabwe - GOV.UK

Sporting rifles have nothing to do with military goods and technology. Hunters can bring in hunting/sporting rifles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.19 PM.png
    356.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.22 PM.png
    429.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.23 PM.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.24 PM.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.25 PM.png
    327 KB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.46.27 PM.png
    420 KB · Views: 256
yes for me to hunt in zim last october i had to have letter of invitation to hunt in SA and land in jo'burgh and put gun through customs then repeat to go to Harare

That is not the information I have for Canada:
Prohibitions
Sanctions related to Zimbabwe were enacted under the Special Economic Measures Act in response to human rights violations, political violence and a worsening humanitarian situation.

Subject to certain exceptions, the measures implemented by the Special Economic Measures (Zimbabwe) Regulations include:

• a ban on the export of arms and related material to Zimbabwe or to any person in Zimbabwe;
  • a prohibition on the transport of arms and related material to Zimbabwe aboard a Canadian vessel or aircraft;

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.03 PM.png
    829.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.04 PM.png
    864.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 1.51.06 PM.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 269
The arms embargo has existed since 2004 but that never prevented us from hunting in Zimbabwe and taking our rifles with us , rifles that we check in publicly at our airports in Europe towards Zimbabwe.

We are not arms dealers and normally we bring our rifles back.

I have been to Zimbabwe with rifle and ammunition 5 times since 2004 , most recently in September 2019 , and so far I am still at large.

Last edited:
You would not be able to book your firearm directly from Canada to Zimbabwe. Due to the Embargo.
(Even if you could book a direct flight.)

You are doing a temporary export from Canada to South Africa or other intermediary country.

Then go on to export from South Africa (etc) to Zimbabwe.
(I believe that knowledgable travel agents don't link the tickets to avoid any concerns.)

When the embargo was first announced, I found it easier (and legal) to just have my go-to PH in Zimbabwe acquire a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H on my dime. I've been back many times and get to use my own rifles when I'm there. When I'm not there, he rents them to his clients, keeping an eye on them, and I end up with lots of spare ammo as well, at no cost.

I realize not everyone will plan on going to Zimbabwe multiple times, but I didn't either at first!

So am I to understand that it is legal for a Canadian citizen to transport a firearm from South Africa to Zimbabwe? Is that written down anywhere officially? Or is this actually illegal, but we are not likely to get caught because of clever temporary export papers ...

Travellers from the UK and EU need to be aware of this.
I quote:'There is an EU arms embargo against Zimbabwe. It is an offence in UK law to take firearms into Zimbabwe at the current time, even if you intend to bring them back to the UK at the end of your visit.'
This taken from the GOV.UK website and can be found on the link below.
You will need to do, as Ian said above, import your firearm into South Africa or other non sanctioned country and then export it from there, doing the same in reverse for your return. How the logistics will actually work and if the Border Force will pick up on the fact you have actually been to Zimbabwe is anyone's guess......

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/zimbabwe/entry-requirements

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.37 PM.png
    388 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.40 PM.png
    546.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.40 PM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.40 PM 1.png
    505.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.42 PM.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.43 PM.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.52.45 PM.png
    417 KB · Views: 262
There is an exception in the EU regarding hunting rifles and their ammunition if it can be proved that they are used for hunting in these countries and that can also be proven that this rifles return to the country of origin in a limited period.

This arms embargo also affects countries like Russia , where there is a lot of hunting activity.

Last edited:
So am I to understand that it is legal for a Canadian citizen to transport a firearm from South Africa to Zimbabwe? Is that written down anywhere officially? Or is this actually illegal, but we are not likely to get caught because of clever temporary export papers ...
You will not find that particular "work-around" outlined in anything posted by the Government of Canada, to my knowledge.

Having said that, the law is clear that you need an export permit to take firearms out of Canada (other than to the US). The permit asks you for the destination country. If you are only going to Zimbabwe and you lie on the form, you have committed an offence. But it wouldn't be easy to do - they want to see a flight itinerary as well as a letter from the outfitter you are using in the destination country, and a letter from you outlining the purpose of the export. You'd have to fake a bunch of stuff if you were only going to Zimbabwe. I suggest that would be a very bad idea. You'd likely get caught.

Now, things get easier, if no more legitimate, if you are hunting somewhere else first. If you are going to South Africa for example, you can fill out all of the paperwork honestly. Once in South Africa, you could go on to Zimbabwe and no one in the government would know. That doesn't make it legal, it just makes it practical to do without getting caught (see some of the posts above, for example). For this to work, you need a separate itinerary for the Zimbabwe portion of the flights - you could not check your firearms to Zimbabwe from Canada, but you could check them to JNB, pick them up and re-check them to Zimbabwe, for example.

Personally, as ridiculous an interpretation of the UN embargo as I think this is, Canada doesn't make it hard to take your own firearms hunting, and I wouldn't want to promote ways around the existing rules, the long term effect of which would likely be to make travel with firearms more complicated if not impossible. As it is, the government employees involved in the existing permitting system have been uniformly pleasant and helpful (at least to me). I feel no need to try to con them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross