ZIMBABWE: High Adventure With Mbalabala Safaris In Makuti - Buffalo & Leopard

Day 12

We hit the floodplain early at gache gache looking for a warthog and an impala for rations we saw probably 50 warthogs over the course of about 3 hours before we saw a good male. We took off after him and after a short stalk about 300 yards we could not get any closer as they were alert to us and if we moved any closer they would move off. As a result, I took aim with my 300 win mag and tried to steady myself as much as possible. Squeezing off a round carefully I dropped him off the sticks at just under 300 yards. This was a sweet success because we looked for a good hog on my last safari without luck. This hog had some good teeth but was exceptionally old making it a great trophy in my eyes. Next we pick through the impala on the flood plain ( probably saw 1500 or so) we see one close to the woods and shoot him for rations. And shoot another that was larger than any impala I have ever shot as a trophy. The camp was comfortable with a nice view of lake Kariba from its front porch. I loved spending time in this area and hope to return top lake Kariba to do some fishing one day.
IMG_0939-edited.JPEG
IMG_0973-edited.JPEG
IMG_6288.JPEG
IMG_6289.JPEG
IMG_6292.JPEG
IMG_6502.JPEG
IMG_6620.JPEG
IMG_6621.JPEG

Day 13-Day 14

Back to makuti to look for sable and eland we wake up early and hunt all day but no luck saw a few elephant and impala but no target species. This has been a trip for the ages though and no complaints from my end just happy to be hunting and hiking in Africa as this trip winds down.

Day 15

Pack and return to Harare for COVID tests at the Kingsmead and back on the plane.

Strangely I guess due to covid the Johannesburg airport seems to have developed a pigeon infestation. I though it was funny to see how these birds just didnt care about the people inside and were just walking around.
IMG_6784.JPEG
IMG_6787.JPEG
IMG_6789.JPEG
IMG_6790.JPEG
IMG_6780.JPEG

In conclusion, we had a wonderful trip with Mbalabala safaris and cannot wait to return someday. I cannot thank Tinie and Lin enough for making us feel welcome and their efforts while we were hunting. If you are on the fence for any reason about going to Africa because of the virus I have to say in my opinion you should get your shot and get on the plane. We were comfortable with the travel the whole time and I would have no reservations in returning today if I could.

Congrats on the entire hunt, thanks for sharing with us!

@thriller, what a fabulous safari! Congrats to all, but especially you on your leopard! Just a tremendous experience and captured so well in your report. Zim has definitely been gracious on the leopards this year. I think you are spot on that if you are thinking about going, get off your duff and just do it. You’ll have no regrets!

Congrats on the buffalo and the hippo ! keep the story coming! :)

Congrats on the buffalo and the hippo ! keep the story coming! :)
I would but the story of coming home a writing the report is not as good of a read. Lol :ROFLMAO:

I would but the story of coming home a writing the report is not as good of a read. Lol :ROFLMAO:
my apologies, I had written this reply before refreshing the page and had not seen you had uploaded the last part already :)

Congratulations. Sounds like you and everyone had a great safari.

No worries just kidding

Congratulations on your successes! Thank you for sharing a great report.

Excellent hunt. Congrats on some fine trophies. Sounds like a lot of fun

Excellent report thanks and well done.

What an incredible hunt you had! Just great animals, and a great read, I enjoyed thoroughly (hoping to hunt Cape buffalo some future trip). It sounds like nearly everything was perfect.

Just a few more leopard pictures I though were cool
D490FBFC-D807-4FA0-A01D-BB0CDB1F49AF.jpeg
FEFC7246-EE55-48B7-A400-79D1158411EE.jpeg
74B771A3-2083-4F30-BFA8-7136F1FD3FBE.jpeg
293f88ca-d60b-4a78-80e7-b1ad0381f8f4-jpeg.410301
82e21276-8b10-419f-9dd7-72029fd35c8a-jpeg.410302
c577e6a1-1fb2-4336-b08e-1cb704348250-jpeg.410303

Attachments

• 293F88CA-D60B-4A78-80E7-B1AD0381F8F4.jpeg
    10.8 MB · Views: 315
  • 82E21276-8B10-419F-9DD7-72029FD35C8A.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 303
  • C577E6A1-1FB2-4336-B08E-1CB704348250.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 302
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 2

First thing, we check the bait we sat on the evening the day before this is when we realize it was in fact two separate cats that we saw. After this, we go and check the bait on the Moto river to see a big male is coming in, in broad daylight averaging between 2 and 4 pm. This is exciting news so we hung a fresh zebra quarter and build a blind at 81yards from the bait.

Pictures of bait hanging bait and building the blind
View attachment 408388
View attachment 408378
View attachment 408379
View attachment 408377
View attachment 408380
View attachment 408381

After the blind was finished, we took our seats in the blind at 10:30 am and plan to sit until he shows. We sit in the blind for several hours and eat a quick lunch in the blind before it gets to be the time the cat usually makes his appearance. After several hours we hear the Francolin to our left start to make a fuss and we hope that it is our boy coming in for an afternoon feast.

Leopard in the tree before the shot
06030707-edited-jpg.408390

At 2:10 pm we see him get in the tree and watch him for about 20 minutes. I will never understand how a cat of the size of a leopard can climb 30 ft up a tree and not make a single sound that we could hear from our blind. After about 20 minutes we confirm this was the correct cat and not any of the others seen on the camera. and when this was confirmed and I got the thumbs up I got on the gun.

The Leopard was feeding with his arms stretched out in front of him. After waiting for what felt like an hour but was probably 5 minutes he stood offering a perfect broadside shot. At this point, I took the shot and hit him on the back edge of the shoulder smashing the offside shoulder, and he fell from the tree upside down head first maybe 30 ft to the ground. The shot felt good and looked good but that doesn’t always mean it was good so no matter what we have seen we tune our ears and start mentally preparing to follow the cat up in long grass.

This is when the tension starts we wait and listen, but hear nothing after 15 minutes, and the minutes tick by like years. Eventually, we back out to get the cruiser and the trackers. We are fairly sure the cat is dead but you can never be too careful. At this point, everyone is checking weapons and putting scopes on the lowest setting. Also, the game scout racks his AK47. Things are getting geared up.

The speargrass at the bottom of the bait tree is about 5 ft tall. I am within view of the bait tree but cannot see the base of it due to the thickness of the grass. Due to the amount of grass Tinie and his head tracker Nixon head in to take a look, and I am asked to stay in the rack of the cruiser. (30 yards from the tree) Obviously, this is a pretty tense moment. They cover ten yards in about 10 minutes looking and listening. Then I see the rocks starting to fly from Nixon and Tinies gun pointed at a stationary point under the tree. A few more rocks later and a smile on their faces and back-slapping let me know that the leopard was indeed dead at the base of the tree!!

View attachment 408383View attachment 408384View attachment 408385

That’s when the party started and let me tell you with 10 guys around the fire (4 hunters,4 PHS, the appy, and Doug) in camp we had one hell of a time!

Due to delays in flights two of our party arrived while we were in the leopard blind checked their rifles and headed into the bush. One of these two guys who I will refer to as the reverend and the choir boy (far from a real reverend or choir boy but I will explain that later) it was the Reverend's first trip to Africa and he managed to put down 2 Buffalo and a hyena the same afternoon I shot my leopard. So he was in the mood to celebrate as well. I am waiting on photos from him to add and the story written by him to add as well.
Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing more.

tip my hat to Lin and crew. Confirms why they were on my very short list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross