ZIMBABWE: Charlton McCallum Safaris Oct 2021

Really well told. Super trophies too.

Thank you for a great report. I was in namibia in Agust snd was interested in your travel experiences. We had good results with Travel Express and Jennifer Ginn as well. I highly recommend her company. Ethiopia worked out very well for us as well. Thanks again. Your friend, Brian

From what Alan told me, a good general bag is possible in the east if you are there at the right time. Most of the pans had dried up concentrating the game near the remaining pans. The problem in the east is once the pans do dry up, there isn’t enough permanent water, and most of the animals will move across into Mozambique. The north has more permanent water from what I understand and more permanent game populations and a much higher quota. I did get lucky on my hunt though too, that was the first eland and first bushbuck ever taken in Dande East.

Exactly, I was at Dande East for 5 days after I shot my elephant and did not have a shot at any shootable plains game. Plenty of buffalo though but I could not have shot any extras as there was only one left on quota and they were saving it for you. ;)

Exactly, I was at Dande East for 5 days after I shot my elephant and did not have a shot at any shootable plains game. Plenty of buffalo though but I could not have shot any extras as there was only one left on quota and they were saving it for you. ;)
Well, thanks for not shooting my buffalo. Interestingly I got them on camera, but I never saw an elephant in 16 days in the east. I think my favorite part of hunting a wild area is game and conditions can change dramatically from week to week, so you know when you have a good hunt a lot of factors had to come together that aren’t always repeatable. I shot the first kudu I saw first morning partly on your feedback, but had many opportunities during my trip just a couple weeks later.

Love that wide 2nd kudu. Congrats on an excellent hunt. We appreciate your sharing it here.
Bruce

My rifle made it to Dulles, but this was a bit of a process. I told customs I had a firearm. I went to secondary and waited on rifle to be brought in. They needed to confirm rifle wasn’t in their system as stolen, which I hadn’t seen before. Once my rifle arrived, officer confirmed serial number against 4457 and I was allowed to temporarily leave secondary to retrieve my checked bag.

At LAX my experience was slightly different but the gist of it was the same. When I told the CBP agent I had a firearm he closed his station and went with me to the luggage claim (that's what they have done every time). Emirates had my gun case and luggage on a cart already and gave it to me after verifying tags. I really appreciated that effort by Emirates.

Then, we went to the customs inspection area. There after verifying the 4457s then they did a stolen firearm check which was new to me as well. I relocked the case and was off as I did not need to retrieve my checked luggage.

At LAX my experience was slightly different but the gist of it was the same. When I told the CBP agent I had a firearm he closed his station and went with me to the luggage claim (that's what they have done every time). Emirates had my gun case and luggage on a cart already and gave it to me after verifying tags. I really appreciated that effort by Emirates.

Then, we went to the customs inspection area. There after verifying the 4457s then they did a stolen firearm check which was new to me as well. I relocked the case and was off as I did not need to retrieve my checked luggage.
I’ve always returned from Africa through Atlanta, so this process was new to me. Atlanta always seems very gun friendly returning and Pittsburgh is very gun friendly when checking in, Dulles seemed much more formal. I wanted to fly Emirates but just wasn’t practical from Pittsburgh. They said Ethiopian had lost several client’s firearms this year.

Reactions: AES
WOW! One fine adventure with lots of exceptional game in a wild place! A trip to be envied!
Thanks!

full

I had missed some of the pics. That's a very nice tuskless. Someone will do well next year if they see it during the day.

Thanks for the report well done on that Roan that is special.

Next time if you can try the Woodleigh HD bullets for 375H&H they are coated black and are made for the 375H&H velocities used them on buff no issue they have a thicker jacket than the normal protected point.

I’ve been hunting geese, so just getting back to reading report. Exceptional report and amazing hunting variety. My favorite pics are of bushbuck and roan. Plus second kudu was a toad. Baeie dankie for taking us along. Congrats

Fantastic report!!! Really great animals!!! That Roan is magnificent!!! Congratulations!

Congrats on a great adventure with some fine animals. Really enjoyed your report!

I've read this a few times but never replied. Well wrote and a great hunt for sure. Beautiful trophies.

Thanks for posting a great report on a dream hunt. Well done to hunter and operator. FWB

Thank you for a great report and taking us on your adventure. Great writing and lovely pictures!

I somehow missed this report I think. Great read !

You’ll never guess who initially paid to build this safari camp in the early 2000s. The food was very good, simple but perfect. Usually meat, a green vegetable, and a starchy vegetable or rice. These were some of the best dishes I had, roan kabobs, eland kabobs, eland filet steaks. Part of my consideration to shoot an eland was just for eland meat. After our eland was down, we made it a point only eland from then on. I wish I had shot it earlier in trip. Roan and sable was very good as well.
View attachment 429863View attachment 429864View attachment 429865View attachment 429866
Eland is by far my favorite eating game animal

Eland is by far my favorite eating game animal
I’d go further than that and say it’s my favorite meat anywhere. I’m realizing today once I got a few comments again, the best part of writing a detailed report is rereading it yourself after some time has passed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!