Zebra rug - getting it done in Africa or at home?

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
I have seen many posts over the years warning of the tanning in Africa, but wanted to ask you guys who have zebra rugs what you choose. Did you do the D/P and then get it tanned/made into rug in the US or get it made into a rug there? I know money is not always the prime concern, but it would be a lot extra to get it done back home.

Please let me know what you have done.

Thanks guys!

Charles I'm having Mike at. Capricorn do two of them right now!

I think it depends on how picky you are.

The job done here will be likely be better, with betting backing, tanning, and will be more likely to lay flat in particular due to the backing.

I did mine in Africa thinking it would all be the same. It isn't. I'm not unhappy with mine, but if I had it to do all over again I'd have it done in the States for sure.

I had mine tanned in Africa, it turned out good. didn't have any backing put on the skin.
Plus 3 other Zebra back skins, also turned out good. Forrest

We got ours done with Hunters and Collectors in RSA. This is a photo showing the piping on the sides.
Pic 4.jpg

Thanks for the responses so far guys! Hopefully a few more responses will follow

Had mine done in RSA and am completely happy with it.

I haven't had one done yet but figure if I head over again I will have one.

But if you have other animals that you are just having dipped and packed then if you have the zebra turned into a rug in Africa you will be looking at some extra time or extra shipping to get it home. If you just have everything just dipped and packed and shipped it should be quite a bit faster showing up at your home taxidermist.

I had mine done in RSA and am happy with it. The only thing I would have done differently is to have gotten a backing put on it.

I assume you have your taxidermy done in the US.?.? If this is the case keep in mind that having skins tanned over there is going to delay your entire order. My dip and ship items are typically ready in 2 or 3 months. Each time I've added tanning it has taken approximately a year. I added several tanned skins to my order last from last year and it has now been 13 months.

Hope this helps.

BD

If your stuff is in South Africa I have used hunters and collectors In PE several times with no complaints whatsoever shoulder mounts, skulls, euro mounts,tanned rugs all very well done. Ask for Kevin. In Namibia I've used reisers in Windhoek for leapard and zebra tanned flat skins plus shoulder mounted gemsbok again absolutely no complaints. If you kept the tail with the zebra be sure and have them leave it. No harder than dealing with mane and it adds a lot to the look. Horror stories from other places do exist and I personally had a lion flat skin ruined, very sad. Best of luck

Thanks for the input guys!

If you want to hear something unpopular but smarter....just buy a flatskin rug already done. Thats coming from a guy that has two rugs from "his" zebras. Unless yours has some super awesome markings, id just buy a flatbskin rug and save the money. I wish i would have.

Or better yet, (1) buy one here in the USA already made; or, (2) buy the tanned hide and have the rug made here. Choice 1 is the cheapest.

Personally I would never have any capes tanned in Africa or actual taxidermy done but we've have several zebra flat skins tanned there and they were all really good and really cheap compared to getting them done at home. We get all our flat skins and back skins tanned there!

we've have several zebra flat skins tanned there and they were all really good and really cheap compared to getting them done at home.

Good to know, thanks

Just for what it's worth, I will have a couple of Zebra skins available soon from Dennis at Artistry. I shot 4 for bait and really only want to keep 2. Probably should post that as a for sale but let me know if you might be interested.

I had one tanned with backing done in RSA and I'm completely happy with it.

I have seen many posts over the years warning of the tanning in Africa, but wanted to ask you guys who have zebra rugs what you choose. Did you do the D/P and then get it tanned/made into rug in the US or get it made into a rug there? I know money is not always the prime concern, but it would be a lot extra to get it done back home.

Please let me know what you have done.

Thanks guys!
We had two done inAfrica by whoever the outfitter dropped them with...They are both beautifully done with face on..Had to hang 'em in the garage till smell went out but other wise very happy..Lot cheaper too !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg