Zebra Meat Should Be On The Braai, Say Stellenbosch Animal Scientists

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/z...aai-say-stellenbosch-animal-scientists-2023-1

• South Africans hunt zebras mainly for their skin and most of their flesh is exported to horse-eating countries, study says.
  • When 20 stallions were butchered in the Western Cape, scientists reported a good yield of lean, nutritious meat and plentiful offal.
  • Zebras are a valuable protein source that can boost food security, especially in rural areas.

Nine out of 10 South Africans are meat eaters, so there’s a good chance they enjoyed a braai over the holidays. But there’s very little chance they ate zebra. That may soon change, though, because new evidence from animal scientists at Stellenbosch University shows zebras are an ideal species for meat production.

Screenshot_34.jpg

best fillet you can eat, no doubt!!! and ive proved it over and over

Zebra was one of the nicest game meats that my wife and I tried in Namibia. We left there wondering how we could get some here in Canada to cook for ourselves!

best fillet you can eat, no doubt!!! and ive proved it over and over
Mr. Kharen, the chef @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS prepares zebra superior to most any other steak!
He also prepared one of my giraffes so that it melted in my mouth. If one is a "Foodie" or their spouse is, a hunt there is worth it just for Kharen's meals!

My favorite animal to hunt and to eat when I'm over there. But don't shoot or eat the one pictured in the article. Grevy's are not on the shoot list. Just FYI

Country-fried Zebra

52213819900_b33cec5399_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have eaten both mountain zebra and burchell zebra. Both were the best meat I've ever had. Both cooked on open fire.

Indeed, Hartmann Mountain Zebra is one of the better red meats I have eaten, world wide, domestic or wild, either one.
If I didn’t know what it was before trying it the first time, I would have guessed elk.

We ate the back straps from a zebra I took this past July… and have had it on one other occasion… both times cooked about medium rare on the braai… it was absolutely delicious… I’d eat it again anytime …

Just curious if anyone doesn't eat it on religious grounds? My PHs wife wouldn't eat zebra bc it says not to eat cloved hoof animals in the bible.

Just curious if anyone doesn't eat it on religious grounds? My PHs wife wouldn't eat zebra bc it says not to eat cloved hoof animals in the bible.
?!? If so, she might want to check that whole "cloven" definition thing. :unsure: Then she might want to pass on all those antelope, cattle, pigs, sheep and things and take up zebra and elephant.

Yes. In Tanzania at our last camp they would prepare it for you if you asked them to, but they did not consume anything like that. I had a very good discussion with my PH on the religious differences we had. He is Muslim, and he was great to have some really educational discussions with me. I was curious and did not want to offend, and he was not offended at all. Very nice man!

?!? If so, she might want to check that whole "cloven" definition thing. :unsure: Then she might want to pass on all those antelope, cattle, pigs, sheep and things and take up zebra and elephant.
Agreed! I asked the same question. It was explained to me it was not the hooves, it was how many stomach chambers the animal had. It was quite interesting to learn about it when I was in Tanzania.

That's what the lady said. I don't claim to be an expert lol I ate it.

Yes. In Tanzania at our last camp they would prepare it for you if you asked them to, but they did not consume anything like that. I had a very good discussion with my PH on the religious differences we had. He is Muslim, and he was great to have some really educational discussions with me. I was curious and did not want to offend, and he was not offended at all. Very nice man!
The Muslim traditions can be particularly tricky - especially in East Africa. For instance much game shot with a rifle or bow will not be considered halal because the blood was not properly drained from the carcass when the animal was killed. It is why in the early safari literature is full of descriptions of porters herding goats along with all the other gear. They could be correctly killed for camp meat.

When lorries came along the goats were caged - often after having their legs broken to fit in very small cages. :oops:

Very interesting topic, i like hearing the different points of view, many of which I've never even thought of.

The Muslim traditions can be particularly tricky - particularly in East Africa. For instance much game shot with a rifle or bow will not be considered halal because the blood was not properly drained from the carcass when the animal was killed. It is why in the early safari literature is full of descriptions of porters herding goats along with all the other gear. They could be correctly killed for camp meat.
I am glad you brought this up, Joe! I was just trying to remember what it was called that they did after an animal was killed. They cut a slit in the bottom of the throat and say a prayer. In our group, our PH could perform the halal, and we had one other person in our group that could. This was because the others were not “practicing Muslim” in the group. Bob said there were some trackers who would eat any of the meat that was killed.

Very interesting topic, i like hearing the different points of view, many of which I've never even thought of.
Same!
Just as there was no alcohol in camp. You could buy your own and bring it, they would not. This did not bother anybody in camp and there was no alcohol. We were all more concerned with coffee. We knew this ahead of time.
Funny thing…Bob told them I did not eat meat. So, they made me chicken or some bird the guys shot. Bob told the camp manager that I did not eat meat again, and he replied, “that is not meat.” Bob agreed that it was not meat. :E Laugh:
So then they said, oh! Vegetarian! Ok. No problem! I had clear veggie soup and fresh veggies every day and it was the best I have ever had on a hunting trip!
I am not opposed to eating meat. I cannot properly digest animal protein. I have enzymes I have to take to eat and that helps, does not fix the issue. Especially when I travel, I eat a vegetarian diet. It was funny that the bird was not considered “meat” to most :E Laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois