www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Binga campfire is bringing me a couple of Zastava M-70 .458 WM to look at. They recently purchased these rifles, every time they fire a round the magazine pops open. I have never worked on a Zastava rifle, but I have seen a few and really never paid much attention to them other than the fact that they seemed to light for caliber and that they use a commercial Mauser style action. Has anyone experienced this problem with the Zastava.

I’ve never had that problem with mine in .375 and a semi custom in .416 Taylor. The older production ones had the magazine release inside the front of the trigger guard and the newer ones a button in front of the trigger guard. I have one of each. Sounds like it could be a weakened spring in the magazine release button? I’ll look at mine tomorrow and see if I can figure out what the problem may be.

Hint, they purchased 4 of these, new or used? I do not know. 2 were in .375 H&H, these are o.k.. 2 were in .458 WM these come open with every shot. This is bad when you are doing night time elephant PAC in the mealie fields with no backup.

Lon

I know AH member @Badboymelvin has a .458WM Zastava and has shot and hunted with it EXTENSIVELY. Maybe he could chime in on this?

Hint, they purchased 4 of these, new or used? I do not know.
On Zastava, in most of cases, you can establish date of manufacture.

On side of receiver, usually right side there should be 4 digit number. XXYY.
XX-month
YY-Year
So for example 1289, would mean December 1989.

The best quality rifles are produced before 1990.
Now it is not so relevant, as we have samples that open magazines upon being fired.

All of the zastavas I have seen had this type of date of manufacture, but I am not sure if all exported rifles had these.

Armchair detective chiming in....
Information so far:
- possibly lightweight for caliber
- possibly release lever inside trigger guard
- possibly weak release spring
What about finger contacting release lever with weak spring, under recoil?

Armchair detective chiming in....
Information so far:
- possibly lightweight for caliber
- possibly release lever inside trigger guard
- possibly weak release spring
What about finger contacting release lever with weak spring, under recoil?
Hi Pertime, I am not sure when they are bringing me the rifles to look at, but I know that at least some of those .458 weight was around 7 1/2 lbs. I am guessing that 1. they probably have the mag release inside of the trigger guard. 2. as light as they are the rifle trigger guard is recoiling into the trigger finger. I am guessing the solution would be adding lead to the fore end and to the butt and bringing it up to a 10lb + rifle. That alone may cure the problem and save their trigger finger. I may semi-permanently de activate mag release.

What ever I do they will destroy the stock within 2 years

I corrected the same problem in a Mauser-type action with the release lever inside the trigger guard. I replaced the trigger guard release spring with a AR-15 ejector spring. The magazine doesn't even think about popping open now! :) Also, to one the magazine one has to apply a little force!

I realize AR-15 parts may not be common in Zim, but they I always carry a few extra parts in my rifle case when traveling...

I corrected the same problem in a Mauser-type action with the release lever inside the trigger guard. I replaced the trigger guard release spring with a AR-15 ejector spring. The magazine doesn't even think about popping open now! :) Also, to one the magazine one has to apply a little force!

I realize AR-15 parts may not be common in Zim, but they I always carry a few extra parts in my rifle case when traveling...
Hi Thanks for the good advice on the spring I have to see what I have. I may have to make a trip to RSA and may be able to pick one up there. I really think this problem is multi faceted, but that excessive recoil being the root cause. They are having no problems with the .375 H&Hs. The only rounds that they have for PAC are softs.

Thank You, Lon

Lon,

If it is a Zastava with a magazine release like this
22800813-B01C-4930-97B6-3DFEBCF63699.png

I had one that would do the “bombs away dropping of ammo when fired.

Things to check…
1. Is the stock fit around the floor plate allowing the floor plate to closed completely allowing the latch to fully engage?

2. Any rough spots on either the latch internals or floor plate spur that cause the latch to bind up before fully engaging?

3. Clean out the latch mechanism with carbon blaster/aerosol gun cleaner, an amazing amount of dirt, grease and even metal filings can be impacted in there and not allow the latch to fully engage.

4. Fit of the floor plate section that inserts into the latch- sometimes the machining on this area is a little rough leaving the dimensions just a little too big for the latch to engage correctly. A little stoning/sanding can do wanders.

I have fixed two different Zastava's/whitworth rifles with that problem and each time it was the mag release spring. I just bought some spring stock in the right diameter and trimmed a piece till it had the right tension, problem solved.

if you cant find a suitable spring in SA, and if you have a hunter headed over from the US I can send them a piece of spring stock to bring to you.

I forgot to mention my Interarms Whitworth (Zastava) .458WM probably because I've never fired it. I bought it in 2021 and the barrel had no sights (still doesn't) on it. The action I thought was dirty but just had a bunch of grease on it. After I cleaned it up it doesn't look like it has ever been fired. Probably not w/o any sights on the barrel? Anyway, it looks like the previous owner had bought a barreled action and then jacked up the bedding in the stock he put on it and then sold it as is. I need to find some sights for it so I can shoot it and watch the cartridges “rainbow “ from the magazine onto the ground. LOL

7C685A86-4EDA-465B-81CB-15453CFC8A2A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have zero experience with floor plates flying open under recoil.
However, if it does ever happen to me, even one time, I will have a Professional Gunsmith, either silver solder it permanently shut or, run a machine screw through it, and apply industrial grade epoxy to the threads.

I have zero experience with floor plates flying open under recoil.
However, if it does ever happen to me, even one time, I will have a Professional Gunsmith, either silver solder it permanently shut or, run a machine screw through it, and apply industrial grade epoxy to the threads.
Maybe something to be said for having a "blind" magazine DG rifle? Really, for a non PH client, what is the advantage of a rifle with a magazine drop plate? Sure, it's convenient to drop the cartridges out without having to run them through the action, but for the average few DG hunts a hunter may participate in?

Maybe something to be said for having a "blind" magazine DG rifle? Really, for a non PH client, what is the advantage of a rifle with a magazine drop plate? Sure, it's convenient to drop the cartridges out without having to run them through the action, but for the average few DG hunts a hunter may participate in?
I totally agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danpowder

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you