Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

@Peter Radekevich
Peter feel free to annoy me.
Try the Speer reloading site for the 250 grain hotcore, y our will need some Hogdon CFE223 as well
Bob.
Cfe223 and primers as well as dies are like unobtanium right now. I’ll be taking it for a test run with some Hornady 200 grain super formance or whatever they call them. Stay tuned

Cfe223 and primers as well as dies are like unobtanium right now. I’ll be taking it for a test run with some Hornady 200 grain super formance or whatever they call them. Stay tuned
@Peter Radekevich
You are going to be in for a big surprise. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Bob

My 3 favorite rifle cartridges up until now have been the .30-30,.45-70 and my favorite of all time the .35 rem. I just added a 4th and it is the Three Seven Five- Ruger.

Well, I don’t have to go and buy an action to make a rifle into .35 Whelen.
I have a Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06 that I’ve been thinking about either switching the barrel out to .35 Whelen, or boring the barrel out to .35 cal.
Does anyone know how much either would cost roughly?
I’ve got the .35 Whelen bug bad now! GOTTA…HAVE…ONE!!!

Hawk
Only then will your life be complete.

I could live the rest of my life pretty happy with a 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .30-'06.

But, if you had said four I'd drop the 20 gauge and split its duties amongst a 16 gauge (September teal and dove) and 28 gauge (coastal rail, woodcock and snipe).

And, if you had said five, I'd add the .375 H&H because I've long wanted one but I'm too practical to get one...

I am honestly surprised to see how many 30 06 are listed as apposed to 308.

.30-06 is just plain better!
It has more powder space, which means it can get better velocities with all the .308 cal bullets, especially when it comes to the heavy for cal bullets.
When hand loaded, the .30-06 hits harder, and shoots flatter than the .308, and can be as accurate as a .308!
This isn’t conjecture, it’s the truth.

Hawk

For most of my hunting a .308 is "Just Right" and I need no more.
The .30-06 is only "better" than a .308 if you can demonstrate that more is always "better" ... If that's true then fastest is "best". Many .30 caliber magnums beat the .30-06.
If I need "more" than a .308 I generally choose
- a 7mm for better ballistic efficiency at longer range, or
- a .35 Caliber or larger bore for more bullet weight and bone breaking penetration.

Nice thing about the '06 is you can load it up and almost make .30 magnum type ballistics, or download it to .308 levels for a young hunter or someone a little adverse to recoil. While I don't use any of mine very much these days, if I were going to be restricted to 1 gun, the 30-06 will cover anything in North America. And most of the rest of the world, for that matter. Ammunition can be found in virtually every podunk store in the world that sells ammo. Thankfully, that restriction doesn't exist, so I get to play with whichever caliber strikes my fancy today!

For the moment and it might change I have my favorite 3 in my safe.

204 Ruger with 32gr Monolithics - Super accurate and can do headshots on most plainsgame.

6.5 x 55 Swedish with 160gr Softs - Deadly and with proper shot placment will take a eland.

458 lott - for the stuff that can bite back and can be used for bigger plainsgame at shorter distances.

I just reread this post and can see some of us have changed calibers over the years. Mine were and still are 22LR
7RM
375HH
Maybe I'm just old school and resistant to change but I based my choices on experience, availability of ammo, and the right tool for the job. I believe I have a caliber for anything that lives. I have and use others but these are my alltime favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross