Yes, The Cart is in Front of the Horse!

Better start reloading Charlie! 470 has an expensive diet! Lol

Better start reloading Charlie! 470 has an expensive diet! Lol
Or, he can bring his 470 to DSC and you and I can work up a regulated load for his while we are doing the same for yours.

Charlie you don't need the Lott anymore.
I would be willing to part with it and some ammo for a very reasonable price.

Lucky for you Hornady makes bullets for the 470...otherwise you'd have to go over to the dark side!

@tarbe the dark side makes me afraid! No not really!
IMG_0588.JPG

Or, he can bring his 470 to DSC and you and I can work up a regulated load for his while we are doing the same for yours.

No you have my attention!

No you have my attention!
We are going to start working on an A-Frame load for mine as soon as Tim gets his beautiful daughter married off. We should have a lot of data by DSC!

We are going to start working on an A-Frame load for mine as soon as Tim gets his beautiful daughter married off. We should have a lot of data by DSC!

Mine shows really good results with Hornady. But having some AFrames would be great!

Anybody got any suggestions for a decent reloading press for these long cartridges. I have to angle the shell out of the shell holder. Then remove the shell holder to get the rounds out when loading the a-frames. I have a old pacific. press.

Anybody got any suggestions for a decent reloading press for these long cartridges. I have to angle the shell out of the shell holder. Then remove the shell holder to get the rounds out when loading the a-frames. I have a old pacific. press.

I have actually been able to load 400gr Hornady in the 450-400 in my RCBS Jr press of 1975 vintage.

When seating the bullets I have to "thread the needle" and slide the rim into the shell holder as the bullet is entering the die, but it is doable!

It is very close to not working though! Long buggers they are...both bullet and case. I had the same issue with the Rigby, of course.

Mine shows really good results with Hornady. But having some AFrames would be great!

I noticed MidwayUSA had the new bonded Hornady DGX on their website, but they were all showing out of stock.

Week from tomorrow! Holy cow, it's close.

Her mother will be fine. I will be a basket case.

:cry::cry::cry:

But yes, hopefully by DSC we will have some loads that regulate in Cody's Merkel.

Cody - you have thoughts on which powder you want to try first?

What kind of temps will you be seeing on your hunt in Australia?

The horse has finally caught up with the cart!

Made this empty brass today...36 rounds through the 450-400.

IMG_1119.JPG

Did not make it to the range until about 1630. Range 1 (position range where I can shoot offhand) was closed due to standing water from today's earlier rains.

Range 4 (benchrest only) was open...but did not want to sit at the bench...this ain't no stinking target rifle!!

Fortunately there is a little one-position range in back where you can set up the chronograph and shoot offhand...only drawback is it is 25 yards...27 if you cheat and stand as far back as allowed - which I did.

Oh well - this is the initial run so better that I can shoot on my hind feet.

Hornady factory ammo chronographed at 2,006 fps...very mild. Like a starting load!

My starting loads with 78gr of IMR 4831 and 400gr Hornady DGX chronographed at 2,042.

Starting load of 70.5gr WW-760 and 400gr DGX did 1,973.

Starting load of 63gr of Re15 and 400gr DGX did 1,999.

Pig load of 300gr Barnes TSX and 58gr Re15 clocked 1,883. I shot these last and they felt like shooting a .308.

Next time out I will chronograph some progressively stouter loads. Hope to get on range 1 where I can shoot some 50 yard groups as well.

The Re15 and WW-760 loads above all had a 3gr dacron wad to take up the air space.

All of the loads showed very good shot-to-shot consistency. No groups as I was shooting offhand at a 6 inch paper plate at 27 yards!

IMG_1120.JPG

Initial impression - I am in love.

I cannot wait to carry this sucker 20 miles in the BVC after Cape Buffalo and Eland.

Great start Tim!

IMG_1117.JPG
Here she is in all her glory.

IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG

I bought a 50BMG press for these big boys(needed one for the 50 anyway). 505 dies are 1-1/4" dies so you insert a bushing from the 1-1/2" 50 die. There is also a bushing to take it down to the standard 7/8" die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.