Yes, The Cart is in Front of the Horse!

Beautiful wood on that stock

Beautiful wood on that stock

It does seem to be nicer than average. The Boddingtons can be a real crap shoot. Some are plain as a 2x4 and others are pretty nice.

But yes, hopefully by DSC we will have some loads that regulate in Cody's Merkel.

Cody - you have thoughts on which powder you want to try first?

What kind of temps will you be seeing on your hunt in Australia?
I'm thinking H4831 and RL-25 to start. They have the highest case densities per the Swift manual and seem to achieve the highest velocities. But I think we need to chrono the federal that it is regulated for and work toward those velocities as we talked about. The hornady shoots well also so we may shoot some of that across the screen also to compare.
What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking H4831 and RL-25 to start. They have the highest case densities per the Swift manual and seem to achieve the highest velocities. But I think we need to chrono the federal that it is regulated for and work toward those velocities as we talked about. The hornady shoots well also so we may shoot some of that across the screen also to compare.
What are your thoughts?

More data is always better. We should chrono both the Fed and Hornady.

What kind of loading density do the Fed and Horn rounds display?

Edit: might help us understand what burning range they are using...at least whether on the slow end or fast end of IMR 4831 and H1000.

I doubt you can go wrong with your two choices above. We'll see!!

More data is always better. We should chrono both the Fed and Hornady.

What kind of loading density do the Fed and Horn rounds display?

Edit: might help us understand what burning range they are using...at least whether on the slow end or fast end of IMR 4831 and H1000.

I doubt you can go wrong with your two choices above. We'll see!!
Both are claiming 2150 and just taking a SWAG I would say they are in the high 80 percent on density. Falling around a RL-15 burn rate for that density and velocity. I am expecting lower velocity out of the short barreled Merkel but I am interested to see just how much. Federal has always seemed pretty legitimate on their published velocity as long as your tube matches their test barrel. Most of my checking has been from 26" barrels which is what I believe they use. I bet money we will come up with a regulation load before I run out of bullets or powder though! Lol

I bet money we will come up with a regulation load before I run out of bullets or powder though! Lol

I hope so! You have enough bullets to dang near shoot out the barrel!

I hope so! You have enough bullets to dang near shoot out the barrel!
They make more barrels, not worried brother!

My brothers in South Africa like to schedule meetings at times convenient for them. This means I often have meetings at 0500.

Today was such a day - so when I left home at 0400 for the office, I had a couple rifles and shooting gear with me! I figured if I had to go in that early, I was going to manage a side trip to the range after an early departure.

I managed to put another 25 rounds through the Boddington Buffalo. I now have some more IMR 4831 chronograph data...

Recall the Hornady brass, Fed 215, 78gr of IMR4831 at a COAL of 3.65 with the 400gr Hornady DGX gave 2,042fps. More velocity data shown below:

80gr 2,094 fps

82gr 2,129 fps

84gr 2,202 fps

85gr 2,247 fps

86gr 2,287 fps

Next session I think I will load up some at 84 - 86gr and try to shoot groups at 50 yards to see if I can discern any accuracy advantage for one load over another. All of the loads today showed consistent shot-to-shot velocity (just like Sunday).

I did also shoot three "groups" off the sand bags, just to punish myself...you gotta finish a range session with 11 shots off the bench, don't you?

Of course, this wasn't accuracy testing because once again I was stuck on the 27 yard line...but I did want to fine-tune the scope. Up to this point I had sighted it in off-hand! Yes, I am a redneck!

Here are the last 5 shots of the day - these were Hornady factory loads...all I had left! Ignore the data sheet the target cut-out is lying on...I just wanted a light background to make the holes show up better!

IMG_1123.JPG

I believe my offhand shooting was better today (even on 4 hours sleep) than Sunday. Amazing how after just 61 rounds I feel like I am climbing the learning curve with this baby.

Cape Buffalo, look out!

Nice, nothing like sending a few big thumpers down range.

Two range sessions (Sunday and today) 61 450-400 and 42 45-70.

That's a fair bit of lead!! :)

And yes, it does feel like Mike Tyson slugged me in the shoulder a few times!

Tim

Looks like the one version of 4831 is going to be a good powder.

I should add that all of the IMR 4831 loads ejected easily. The action was not sticky upon opening and case expansion was only .001 over the very mild factory load with the 86gr load.

I will likely load some 87 and 88gr loads to check extraction, case expansion and velocity.

I think ~2,250 is fast enough for 25 yard Buffalo shooting, so the hotter loads are just for science.

Looks like the one version of 4831 is going to be a good powder.

Seems to me you were having good luck with the H4831SC?

Haven't shot for a couple days. Kansas wind has been blowing and gusting up 40mph. I agree 2250 about right.

Seems to me you were having good luck with the H4831SC?
Yes I'm happy with the H4831sc. The lmr version looks good also.

Yes I'm happy with the H4831sc. The lmr version looks good also.

I have a feeling this cartridge is not particularly fussy! ;)

It sure has been a fun one so far.

I think any slow burning powder will work just fine.

I think any slow burning powder will work just fine.

Pretty sure you are correct!

I was surprised how consistent the velocities were with Re 15 starter loads (relatively small amount of a relatively fast powder). But for serious hunting loads, I want a nearly full case to make sure ignition isn't hampered by powder position!

I noticed you used Federal215 primers. I used CCI 250. Sometimes the federal primers are hard to get around here.

@tarbe it looks like you can cut lots of meat with that rifle and the load you just made up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineT

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!