Yes, The Cart is in Front of the Horse!

Tarbe, it is my understanding that the ballistics of the 450/400 and the 404 Jeffery are either "identical" or extremely close. I just finished loading up a few rounds for my Jeffery. I'm using Norma brass and a load of 84 grains of H4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame and am looking for 2,300 FPS. I will be taking it to a range next week just to try things out. I will not be bringing my chronograph for this trip, just looking to sight the gun in and then check for accuracy. Iron sights at 50 yards. My boys and I will be bow hunting for a week. Normally we do most of our hunting in the late afternoon and early evening. We are hoping to get in some range time in the mornings. We are also going to try some of my loads in the 416 Rigby I bought from you a while back.

Yes, case capacities are within 3 or 4% of each other. 450-400 is 117gr and 404J is 113gr.

The other difference is bore diameter and the resulting difference in expansion ratio and bearing surface of the longer bullet in the 400J vs 404J.

Theoretically the 400 should find its happy place with a slightly slower powder than the 404, but now we are splitting pretty fine hairs.

Results this morning with a cold barrel. 87gr of 4831sc 300gr hornady at fifty yards.
1019171357.jpg
1019171354a.jpg
1019171354c.jpg
1019171356.jpg

That there will work!

Not much you can't do with that load in Kansas.

Went back out this evening. I had loaded. 3 rounds with 86gr of H4831sc and 400 grain A-Frames. I think I may of found my powder.
1019171757.jpg
1019171759a.jpg
1019171759.jpg

Where's that red button?

"That was easy"

You done good. 2216 fps with 400gr A-Frames going into an inch and a quarter at 50 yards.

450-400 heaven!

Hell yeah! And it is an A-Frame!

Looking good Lenny.

I have been lucky with the last two rifles I've bought. I bought my wife a little savage axis11 in 6.5 creedmoor that group like that at 100yrds. I'm lucky that my 50yard range if right outside my basement door. I like the Ruger No. 1 and the 450/400 nitro express is one neat round. I was leaning towards a 416 Ruger African mostly because I have the 375 Ruger. When Charley Austin showed up with his 458Lott in a Ruger No.1 I was sold on it and decided to go with the traditional 450/400.

I have been lucky with the last two rifles I've bought. I bought my wife a little savage axis11 in 6.5 creedmoor that group like that at 100yrds. I'm lucky that my 50yard range if right outside my basement door. I like the Ruger No. 1 and the 450/400 nitro express is one neat round. I was leaning towards a 416 Ruger African mostly because I have the 375 Ruger. When Charley Austin showed up with his 458Lott in a Ruger No.1 I was sold on it and decided to go with the traditional 450/400.

You have impeccable taste sir!

I picked up my No 1 Boddington 450-400 tonight.

Depending on weather and problems at work I will try to sneak to the range over a long lunch hour to test a couple initial loads.

If you decide you need that 458 Lott I'll sell it to you Lenny!

You have impeccable taste sir!

I picked up my No 1 Boddington 450-400 tonight.

Depending on weather and problems at work I will try to sneak to the range over a long lunch hour to test a couple initial loads.

I look forward to hearing about the range report!

If you decide you need that 458 Lott I'll sell it to you Lenny!
Charley, I may have bought it that day you were here. I better save for a hunt now. That's right you did get a double.

Charley, I may have bought it that day you were here. I better save for a hunt now. That's right you did get a double.

Yep it's time to hunt again.

Charlie - what double did you get?

I have my new 400J packed, along with ammo and some range gear - just in case it is a slow day in the office tomorrow and I can manage to sneak out to do some shooting over lunch.

No, I'm not excited or anything...

Charlie - what double did you get?

I have my new 400J packed, along with ammo and some range gear - just in case it is a slow day in the office tomorrow and I can manage to sneak out to do some shooting over lunch.

No, I'm not excited or anything...

Merkel 470 NE

Charlie you don't need the Lott anymore.

How do you like that chrono?
I like it. It is more than I need but I like the fact that you set it up beside your rifle and don't have to shoot over it. My old one that I shot over the muzzle blast would blow off the shades and if you weren't careful you could shoot it. It actually worked the best on cloudy days. I have heard though that this chrono could pick up reading from other rifles at a busy range. I like that you can put in the bullet weight and it will give you muzzle energy.

I like it. It is more than I need but I like the fact that you set it up beside your rifle and don't have to shoot over it. My old one that I shot over the muzzle blast would blow off the shades and if you weren't careful you could shoot it. It actually worked the best on cloudy days. I have heard though that this chrono could pick up reading from other rifles at a busy range. I like that you can put in the bullet weight and it will give you muzzle energy.
Thank you sir! I've been looking at that model. As soon I get one I am going to shoot mine because I love it so much! It is like a high maintenance wife, quite finicky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross