Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
The most important part of this little missive is the apparent contradiction from what I was told by the DHA when I contacted them a few years ago.
Flying through Dakar at that point required a YF vaccination.

Yellow Fever Warning

When planning your next holiday, please make sure that you have read all the health entry requirements for your intended destination. Due to the high incidents of yellow fever and other infectious illnesses, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) South Africa has introduced a strict programme to control the importation of these diseases. Warnings have been issued to all border officials and foreign affairs missions to enforce stricter control.
According to International Health Regulations, a valid international yellow fever certificate is required for all passengers over the age of one, arriving in or from a yellow fever infected area. Passengers who are unable to produce a valid international certificate of vaccination on arrival in South Africa will either be placed under quarantine or refused entry into South Africa.

Please note that passengers in transit in Dakar (not leaving the aircraft), do not require a certificate.

Source

Yellow Fever Warning | Medication | Travel tips | Travel clinic | Medical kit | Onboard health | health advisory | SAA | South African Airways

Brickburn

That is the same information that I received from our travel doctor...

Plus, South Africa has not asked for my YELLOW card. I have asked customs in South Africa about this. If your passport is stamped and you are departing from a Yellow Fever country then you will need show proof of having the shot.

I did not make a difference to me as I have the yellow fever stamp on my yellow card.

I was more concerned about the Customs folks bouncing me for not having it. Certainly after I contacted DHA and they said it was required.

For me, no matter. I am vaccinated now and good for ten years.
It's just the new folks can avoid it. Saves them $75.00* at the travel doc.

Good news, I have traveled through twice without the yellow fever card. Glad to hear, someone state it.

I've been vaccinated twice (on my second decade) for business travel so it didn't matter for me. My family has traveled that route twice without it and no issues. Having said that, there's a reason they spray the plane with insecticide once you take off from Dakar, and it's not for fleas .... While the doors are open and the humididty is climbing while parked on the on the tarmac, you start feeling like the mosqitoes are chewing on you. Get the vaccination and don't worry about it. I'm making my youngest son get it for the next trip.

That is a change from my research two years ago when I was planning my first safari. At that time, RSA's web site clearly indicated that if you travelled through Dakar that you must have the yellow fever vaccination. Even if not required now, though, I think Shakey's advice is good.

From the RSA DHA website.

The whole reason everyone gets confused.

Requirements for entering South Africa

You will need the following if you wish to visit South Africa:

A valid and acceptable passport or travel document for your intended stay
At least one blank page in your passport for endorsements
A valid visa, if required
Sufficient funds to pay for your day-to-day expenses during your stay
A return or onward ticket
Yellow fever certificates if your journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America.

What is the difference between "transiting" and "passing through"?
Obviously a technical detail.

I would certainly hope that the National Airline would be providing proper information to its travellers.

This is what WHO reports in SEPT 2011

WHO | South Africa - Revised requirements for Yellow Fever vaccination

South Africa - Revised requirements for Yellow Fever vaccination

21 SEPTEMBER 2011 - The National Department of Health from the Republic of South Africa informed WHO that it considered that travellers from countries with low risk of yellow fever transmission still pose a risk of yellow fever importation into the country and that proof of yellow fever vaccination will be required from all travellers (unless in possession of a valid waiver certificate) coming from yellow fever risk countries - including Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia, the United Republic of Tanzania and Zambia. Also, all travellers transiting airports in these countries will have to show proof of yellow fever vaccination at entry in the Republic of South Africa.

The South African yellow fever vaccination policy for travellers can be consulted on the National Department of Health website.

http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/policy/2011/draft_yellowfever.pdf

Sadly the South African Health Department LINK provided is DEAD.

They have also changed their website address. Now health.gov.za.
No search function.
On the policy page you can not access any historical documents. i.e. 2011 Policy documents.
No email address to ask a question. Phone us or snail mail???
How to take a website back to the stone age.

"How to take a website back to the stone age?"
Start one as if it were in the stone age like Obamacare! Opps! Sorry To political
I'll shut up now!

Maybe the vaccination might be a good idea even if just transiting as mentioned. All it takes is one skeeter! That's why I go Delta They use Boeings and go non-stop!

"How to take a website back to the stone age?"
Start one as if it were in the stone age like Obamacare! Opps! Sorry To political
I'll shut up now!

Maybe the vaccination might be a good idea even if just transiting as mentioned. All it takes is one skeeter! That's why I go Delta They use Boeings and go non-stop!

LOL! When I read the last sentence of Wayne's post that's exactly what I thought. Now I will shut up as well.:D

This was the email reply I got today.

My immediate response is, can you please read and answer the question I presented to you.
The policy stated on your website is in direct contradiction to this reply.

Thank you for your e-mail of 8 March 2014.

In order to control the spread of the Yellow fever disease into the country, South Africa requires a valid yellow fever certificate from all citizens and non-citizens over one year of age travelling from an infected areas or having been in transit through infected areas. To assist passengers SAA will be checking the requirements leaving South Africa and departing from infected areas as they would be required to be in possession of this certificate. Passengers making a return booking to or from these countries must be advised that they require a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

For your convenience, I have attached the directive from the Department of Health South Africa with regards to the countries that are impacted by the Yellow fever requirements. Kindly visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web page or follow the below link.

Health Information for Travelers to Madagascar - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Yours sincerely,
Judith Toorn | Customer Service Agent | Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross