Wyoming Elk Clothing Suggestions

Crispi are my go to when not on a horse, love them. I did the rifle opener a few years ago in the Teton's it went from hot and raining to cold and raining, then it when to cold and icing and then heavy snow. It is absolutely miserable, by the middle of the week, my saddle had 20lbs of water soaked in it, then it was frozen solid the last couple days of the hunt.
Every time I kill an elk I think, "What was I thinking doing this without a horse?!" Someday... My dad is getting too old to help pack, but my boys are hitting their teen years so they're up a and coming packers. Between them, me, and my wife we packed out a cow about 2 miles in a single trip last year.

Maybe one more piece of gear for the OP is a frame pack... save your back!

Every time I kill an elk I think, "What was I thinking doing this without a horse?!" Someday... My dad is getting too old to help pack, but my boys are hitting their teen years so they're up a and coming packers. Between them, me, and my wife we packed out a cow about 2 miles in a single trip last year.

Maybe one more piece of gear for the OP is a frame pack... save your back!
You are tougher than me. I think if I ever had to hunt elk without a horse; I would skip that year. I exclusively hunt units 70 and 71 though.

I've been very impressed with the few clothing items I have from KUIU. Very high quality with an athletic fit. Pricey but worth it IMO. Temps can go from 70F and sunny to -10F blizzard conditions in a couple of days. Try planning for that.

For a packs, I like Eberlestock. Lots of options to choose from to suit your specific needs. I have the X1 Euro and love it.

Last edited:
Of course I always pack gloves and a stocking hat. And you will have to wear blaze orange.

Are you going with an outfitter or DIY?

Hi Cornell Cowboy. We will be with Cross C ranch. Your help is greatly appreciated

Thank you
Matt

I will be hunting unit 7 starting the 21st of October. I will be wearing light weight merino base layer top and bottom. Next is first lite wool pants and a light wool shirt whose maker’s label is long gone. Polypropylene liner socks and merino boot socks in kenetrek boots.

My kuiu super down vest and hooded jacket will be along with a kudu kutana jacket for a shell. A felt western hat with a blaze beanie over it will top things off.

Leather unlined shooting gloves and wool gloves along with leather chopper mitts will provide all weather hand protection.

A merino balaclava and face gaiter will go in the pack as well. My survival gear, first aid kit, and spotting scope will also be in the alps pack.

I have always been a fan of wool and it may well have saved my life when I was caught by a surprise blizzard hunting near Pinedale about 10 years ago.

Lots of great advice here. +1 on merino wool. Definitely +1 on pants with a padded knee, I wear the ones Kuiu makes. Between kuiu and Patagonia, you can make an excellent kit of gear that will last for a very long time. It is very light, but not cheap.
+1 on Schnee’s pack boots. My whole hunting party wears them for both Montana and minnesota hunts.
Definitely add a cowboy style silk scarf. They are inexpensive but make a big difference.

I grew up hunting with jeans and cotton. It works, just not as well. The wool pants from those days are still good today. For weather colder than 30 degrees, a good pair of wool pants is a wonderful.
I find that hunting in very cold weather is usually good chances. Hunting during a good storm or right after… that is the best. Get yourself set up so the weather won’t pause your chance to be outside. We usually get in a least a day or two of hunting at -15F or colder, but that is in December.

I will be hunting unit 7 starting the 21st of October. I will be wearing light weight merino base layer top and bottom. Next is first lite wool pants and a light wool shirt whose maker’s label is long gone. Polypropylene liner socks and merino boot socks in kenetrek boots.

My kuiu super down vest and hooded jacket will be along with a kudu kutana jacket for a shell. A felt western hat with a blaze beanie over it will top things off.

Leather unlined shooting gloves and wool gloves along with leather chopper mitts will provide all weather hand protection.

A merino balaclava and face gaiter will go in the pack as well. My survival gear, first aid kit, and spotting scope will also be in the alps pack.

I have always been a fan of wool and it may well have saved my life when I was caught by a surprise blizzard hunting near Pinedale about 10 years ago.
Virtually identical to what I wear. I live in the snowy Range west of Laramie and hunt there and Greys River area in. western Wyoming on a horse so elk skin shaps and kinetrec boots

I’ve hunted antelope a few times in that area and around that time of the year. The weather can vary considerably…and the wind can blow hard.

As far as clothing brands—use whatever fits you best. Any good quality base layer will do. I like wool. First Lite and Kuiu are good, but so is minus33 and duckworth. I generally wear light wool shirt/heavy wool henley/light down sweater/light shell and add a puffer if I’m sitting and glassing and it’s real cold. With good layers you can add and remove them as needed to stay comfortable. Camo pattern doesn’t really matter.

My tip- buy orange layers or bring multiple vests if you can. Not having to take off and put back on your vest every time you change a layer is nice.

Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain. Minimalism and high performance…

Boots- Crispi, Meindl, etc.

Performance mid weight socks.

If you have to pack your gear or an animal, I like Mystery Ranch…but there are many good packs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in colorado and make it back about every year to hunt with my family. Sometimes horseback, sometimes on foot. That time of year in the mountains I’d suggest layers. Thermal underwear, lightweight Sitka pants, medium weight jacket and then keep rain gear in the pack. The gortex rain gear is actually excellent at creating another layer to retain heat. Kenetrek uninsulated boots are great if you’re on foot, if you’re sitting on a point I’d go with insulated. I really like the badlands packs

Last edited:
My entire family is from Wyoming, it is fair to say I've spent a great deal of time there. I've been hunting there since I was 12. Wyoming weather is extremely variable. There will be wind, the temps will drop. Even if you're lucky with the weather it'll be different one day to the next. The FirstLite gear is made in China but it is high quality stuff. They have everything other solid brands will have only they have mastered the idea of adding/losing layers. They have pants with zippers on the side for airflow, merino wool base layers that can take off the leggings, etc. They also build a lot of their clothes specifically for western US hunting. They are one of the most pricey but the gear will last longer than just about any others.

For a packs, I like Eberlestock. Lots of options to choose from to suit your specific needs. I have the X1 Euro and love it.

For packs I really like Stone Glacier and Kifaru. Exo did not carry well for me when The pack was loaded past 55 pounds.

If you are going with an outfitter it might not be an issue. A good sleeping bag and mat is also a must.

Like others have said, the new stuff being light weight is very nice for those long hikes in the backcountry.

Good Morning AH

Matt here with NKWE SAFARIS. I live in PA and I'm going with my Uncle on a Wyoming Elk Hunt. He was fortunate enough to draw this year after a long wait for area 7. Hunt will take place between Wheatland and Laramie third week of October. I'm looking for some help on clothing. I have read so much on First Lite, Kuiu, Badlands. I have also looked at SKRE which seems to be on the newer side. Can you give me some recommendations and/or reviews?

Thank you
Matt
As many others here have already posted - WOOL. Thin merino wool base layers, then medium or light weight Wool pants and shirt. Wear a small light Daypack to carry a Gore Tex “quiet” shell and maybe light fleece vest. Wool is still popular for a reason - it “works”, has for 200 years. Also continues to keep you warm if it gets wet, is VERY Quiet the the best wool garments (KOM etc.) are expensive but will shed some water (Not a down pour) and come in medium or light weights. Some of the First Lite stuff also very light.
You can often find very good “used wool” on Ebay at 1/2 the price of new.
The Least important consideration is your Camo pattern or color - it All works as does any dull earth tone - camo pattern is very overrated and hyped and makes no difference in rifle hunts (you’re wearing Florescent Orange anyway). I’ve seen many great camo patterns on “shiny synthetic material” and sunlight glares & reflects off of it lIke a car windshield.
Be quiet, don’t skyline yourself, be able to shoot out to 250 yrds, have a compass & GPS —- have a great Hunt and Adventure....If you can handle the weather for PA firearm Deer Season - you can handle mid/late October in Wyoming. At least that has been my experience and obviously my opinion, some may feel differently.

Sitka is my go-to brand. It’s seriously pricey.. but if you are military, a veteran, or law enforcement, or work in the hunting industry, they have a “pro plan” that knocks about 40% off retail and then about once a quarter they put select items on an addition 10-15% off… which brings their gear closer to First Lite, Under Armor, and other brands price points…

For those that like badlands, they also have a similar program..

I wore “cheap” clothes in cold climates for years… stuff that was way too heavy, too thick, too noisy, and didn’t keep me nearly warm enough.. I just didn’t want to invest in top quality gear…

That changed when I did an Alaska hunt on Kodiak in November 2020.. I was cold to the point of experiencing pain and misery…

When I got home I researched kuiu, Sitka, and a few others… when I found Sitka had the pro-plan discount option, I was all in.. and pretty much wear their gear exclusively now..

I mainly hunt in November in Alberta and we get a fair share of cold weather as well. I’ve got mostly Sitka outerwear and I’ve been happy with it. I’ve just picked up some Kuiu wool base layers and like someone else said I’ve been very impressed.

I wear merino wool base layers, wool long sleeve shirt, down jacket, covered by a Gore-Tex jacket. Very good for layering up and down as needed as the weather and activity. If you’re going to be spending much time sitting and glassing or inactive for any reason, dress warmer than you possibly think you’ll need to

After freezing in a deer stand this year, I bought some Sitka Fanatic hunting bibs. I've worn them in super cold weather all over the place and will bring them again the next time I hunt Wyoming. On previous Wyo hunts, I've worn 5.11 BDUs, smart wool long johns, a t-shirt and a heavy firstlite 1/4 zip, and a warm down coat w hood. Crispi boots, 10" which frankly were overkill. The wind is the killer out there. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you