Would you scrap these?

I figure I am safe until the weekend before I leave for Africa
:):)
Yep that’s the way it works!

Nah just shoot the well seasoned brass for normal practice and non-hunting shooting.

I set aside 20 or 40 once fired at full pressure cases for my primary hunting reloads.
 
Normally the line indicating incipient head separation would be a fraction higher. However sectioning one of the suspect cases will create certainty and give you peace of mind. Another way to check is to use a length of stiff wire with a bent end to feel inside the case for the groove that forms when a separation is developing. I prefer the sectioning method simply because I'm not good at the feeling method.

Annealing is useful for preventing split neck etc but does nothing to prevent head separation. Annealing machines are quite inexpensive to build. There are plenty of plans on the internet. Sometime back I put the construction notes from mine onto AH. Give it a go, its not dificult.
 
Pheroze, I've never annealed any brass either and was concerned about the cost. There are several "methods" one can use to anneal brass. I asked our friend Von Gruff about it and he sent me an email containing a video of how he does it. Surprisingly I already have all of the necessary "tools" for his simple process. Hopefully Von Gruff will see his name being mentioned and post his video for everyone to see.
Here it is Art. Very simple set up. shorten a socket extension and use a deep well socket. Only heat till deep blue and it is good to go. I do my cases every 5th loading. Run the drill slow and watch for the colour change.
 
I too see nothing to indicate any problems, as noted above the "bright ring" we often talk about would be well above the belt and obvious. I dont see that at all.
I use the bent probe to search for the "ditch" inside the case when I get suspicious.
As to annealing, I have never done it and probably never will. Modern sporting brass last as long as it should already.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,281
Members
169,994
Latest member
platinumlosssolutions
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top