Would you like a Cigar?

@PARA45

I never knew the torpedos were rolled by the best workers. Would you say this is true of Cubans too???

Also regarding Cubans - would you recommend buying big international brands like Cohiba, Monte, etc to ensure more quality control? Or are they even owned by the same company?

I like most AVO Cigars, but didn't like the AVO Heritage I just had. Made it about halfway thru the Cigar before I chucked it. Like a mix of Cocoa and Cayenne pepper. Yuck.!

Cohiba are the most counterfeited cigars in the world. I usually buy Partgas, Hoyo de Monterey & Bolivar Cuban cigars and I’ve been pleased with their quality and taste. (y)

BTW, this is something good to know. Cuban cigars are never, and I mean never wrapped in cellophane, if they are, that is a dead give away that they are fake. ;)

Last night I smoke a little Cuban Cohiba. It was a good little smoke. My friend bought some and I couldn’t say no to a free cigar:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

7D774638-AA8C-459C-AB1A-8D53342F62F7.jpeg

I am having a Monte yellow classic, sort of the sister of the white band. However this is the older more sofisticated sister. While the White has a citrus and creamy touch, this Yellow is still mellow but with strong doses of rye, nuts, and a touch of cedar/oak --- right up my alley and it has the smoke plume as the cao Brazilian. Good pair with a light rye whiskey or Evan Williams honey (which i am having).

I plan on having a Monte Platimum later, but it is very similar so I may not. Or I might compare

Monte Yellow - a solid choice for your humidor
20210522_205525.jpg

Well I had the Platinum. It was a 5 inch soggy mess. Its pretty humid out tonight and it sat out for a couple hours. I made it less than 1/2 way and tossed it.

The Monte Yellow was the winner tonight

Enjoying a cheep azzed JR cigars knockoff, Edicion Limitada..

Surprisingly, kinda tasty. Rich flavor but not overwhelming. This might be a constant.

Perez Carrillo - La Historia. I had bought a box of these just based on some decent reviews. I'm hoping this is not the standard of the entire box. Tight draw and just no complexity...just fairly bland. But it did burn well, so there is that!
I'll keep after them to see if there is any improvement.

Perez Carrillo - La Historia.jpg

Perez Carrillo - La Historia. I had bought a box of these just based on some decent reviews. I'm hoping this is not the standard of the entire box. Tight draw and just no complexity...just fairly bland. But it did burn well, so there is that!
I'll keep after them to see if there is any improvement.
Unfortunately that was my assessment as well. Good reviews, decent price...just not good

Unfortunately that was my assessment as well. Good reviews, decent price...just not good
Yeah, its too bad. Now I have an entire box to smoke...I guess things could be worse and I didn't have anything to smoke though!

While enjoying a Rib Eye dinner at the Hannagan meadow lodge, I was looking out the window at deer & elk feeding in the meadow across the road. This is prime Arizona elk country.
Top that off with a Le Bijou, at 9200', as the sun goes down.
Up in the high country for a few days.

More to follow.
IMG_20210528_190352830.jpg
IMG_20210528_172903077_HDR.jpg

While enjoying a Rib Eye dinner at the Hannagan meadow lodge, I was looking out the window at deer & elk feeding in the meadow across the road. This is prime Arizona elk country.
Top that off with a Le Bijou, at 9200', as the sun goes down.
Up in the high country for a few days
Awesome way to stay cool with Summer heat arriving. Le Bijou seems like icing on the cake

I had a sweet tooth tonight and tried a Fat Bottom Betty for the first time. Terrible experience - probably 20 touch ups before the first 3rd ended. Taste was very sweet the first 1/2" and then nothing - like breathing fog nothing. Onto something else before the night gets too late. Incredibly bad experience on a highly reviewed stick

My regular smoke is a Torano Exodus Gold 1959 Toro. On safari, the sundowner is a Paragas Series D No. 4. Match the Partagas with a pink gin, good company in camp, and an African sunset, and you pretty much have described paradise to me.

Onto a Alec Bradley Prensado. Not much on the cold draw but a little barn yard smell. Spicey on the light but settling into a spicy (rye type) oak with a very very light cocoa --- tight draw and staleness. Another cigar with a top rating but I'm not getting any complexity or flavors that are enjoyable. I'm lost for words...

@PARA45

I never knew the torpedos were rolled by the best workers. Would you say this is true of Cubans too???

Also regarding Cubans - would you recommend buying big international brands like Cohiba, Monte, etc to ensure more quality control? Or are they even owned by the same company?
I mostly smoke Cubans at present as they're readily available here in the UK. I've also visited one of the factores in Habana, so maybe I can comment.

Firstly, yes, the most experienced folk do the torpedos as they're difficult to get right.

Secondly, all cuban cigar brands are state owned under a single entity. There are several factories that manufacture the various brands across the country, info on which can be found here: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/cubas-21st-century-factories-8247

Regarding the quality control, the 'flagship' brand of Cuba is Cohiba, which gets first pick of the tobacco crop and may (or may not) also be manufactured in the larger Habana factories which may (or may not) have the best rollers. I would recommend Cohiba as a good, if pricey, entry point into Cubans, and would recommend something such as a Robusto or a Siglo III initially.

It's my experience (quite limited honestly, I've not been 'doing' cigars that long) that the larger ring guages that they're making regularly are pretty good, with none of the storied draw issues you hear so much about. The speciality stuff (the Lancero size especially) is a bit more variable.

The other big brands such as RyJ, Partagas, Cuaba, Bolivar, Trinidad, Montecristo, Punch are pretty good and on a part from a QC perspective with Cohiba IMO. The smaller brands such as Ramon Allones or Quai d'Orsay are apparently a bit more dicey (although personally I've tried several and had no issues).

I would note that the state monopoly inevitably introduces some limitations on Cubans generally. The are not as able to adjust for poor harvest years or weather, so 'vertical' consistency in a brand is not as good (so I hear), as those from other countries which are bigger and utilise more suppliers of seedlings etc and so can blend to a profile more effectively. They also don't have the sheer breadth of styles, sizes, brands etc to pick and choose from. Cubans have a pretty narrow range in that respect.

I'd give them a try with an open mind. I enjoy them a lot, but would I say they're superior to any other nation? Not really.

Enjoy!
Al.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,