Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
As usual, I'm in need of some advice from those more experienced and successful than myself, if I may.

With my current studies coming to an end, I need to start considering "where next". With the current political climate in RSA, I don't see a future in my home country and thus, I need to look to greener pastures.

So there's no confusion: I would love to stay here, but my SO and I have 4 degrees between us and with the economy as it is and the "affirmative action" policies in place, neither of us can find work. I can't put sentimentality above career.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions in terms of places to look, I'm all ears.

To provide context: I'm sitting with a business degree and a plant and soil science degree, the SO has an animal science degree and a Master's in Breeding & Genetics... So our industry of choice is Agriculture.

As always, thanks in advance for the assistance!

With those degrees, anywhere West of the Mississippi river to about the middle of California, Oregon and Washington if you are looking to the USA. Canada - Alberta and Saskatchewan. South America - Argentina. Europe - Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Eastern Europe.

If you want to stay in Africa, a lot of Zimbabwean white farmers went to Zambia, Botswana and Mozambique. I am sure your education would be appreciated in those countries.

In Canada plan on beginning your search in Quebec and looking west from there. That lack of meat processing facilities in the east cost drives the price of beef beyond fiscally viable levels.

You will likely have an easier time emigrating to Canada than the US. Within Canada, Alberta and Saskatchewan would fit nicely with both of your careers. I grew up on a farm in Ontario, but it’s not a place for folks like us anymore.

With the education you probably wouldn't be working on the killfloor but there are management/research positions that may be of interest to you and/or your SO. For the US I'd send a resume to some of the larger packers such as Monfort, Gargill and Tyson.

You will likely have an easier time emigrating to Canada than the US. Within Canada, Alberta and Saskatchewan would fit nicely with both of your careers. I grew up on a farm in Ontario, but it’s not a place for folks like us anymore.
Unless of course he just flys into Mexico and walks across the border! Canada is Fort Knox compared to the US southern border under Biden! ( I nervously laugh and sip my scotch)

Australia

They are closed for now.
I imagine it takes time to secure work or get an approval to relocate.
Movement between state is restricted but there are some exceptions for people relocating residence.

I also suggest you consider Canada. South African agriculture science doesn't translate exactly to our conditions, but all the basics are the same. South African knowledge and expertise in agriculture is generally respected here. And we have a large, vibrant agriculture sector in Western Canada. I know of several South Africans who have emigrated here. I have a Batchelor's Degree in Animal Science, my wife in Crop Science. My own career was in animal nutrition, Feed processing, intensive livestock production and meat processing consulting, and poultry production and processing. My wife's career was in crop production and crop protection products, which later morphed into accounting for our family turkey business. Saskatchewan has more than half of the farmland in all of Canada. We tend to produce more raw products/commodites in Western Canada and there is more of an emphasis processing in Ontario and Quebec. There are quite a few international companies with large crop development and research facilities operating in Saskatchewan. A lot of development activity is centered around universities, such as Innovation Place at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. The University of Guelph in Ontario is also a centre of excellence and attracts international talent to companies associated with them while doing research & product development.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg