Woodleigh Bullets & Hydrostatic

Bruce, unless major bone is broken or the brain is destroyed, a buffalo will nearly always run - except when they don’t. I can’t figure them out, hey. Using quite a few different bullets in quite a few different sizes of cartridge, I’ve seen them make anywhere from three to a hundred metres on heart shots. Happily they almost always run in some other direction. I love Woodleigh bullets, I’m exceedingly happy with them and will continue to merrily and cheerfully use them... so it pains me to say that the quickest average zappings I’ve seen have come from CEB Safari Raptors - but even they aren’t completely magical if not placed somewhere in or near the basketball. But I worry about the Safari Raptor in thick stuff - but then should I equally worry about a Woodleigh RNSN in thick stuff? For sure I don’t worry about Hydros in thick stuff!

rule 303,
I know nothing of solids, hydros or conventional, as I have never used them.
my comments are protected points.
I will not keep buying bullets in the hope of getting accurate ones, as it is just cheaper to get accurate ones in the first place.
and head to head against swifts on lighter game there was no competition, while the swifts are good on bigger game as well.
from what I have read of hydros, they are probably too much bullet for buffalo, cattle, and down.
the reports of animals running the distances reported might suggest someone could get killed one day.
a good swift or barnes might well be a faster killer, and/or allow a little more latitude in bullet placement.
bruce.

Bruce you can stick your barnes where the sun don't shine.:) I recon I put all their kids through school with the amount of those things I have tried, different types, weights and calibres over the years. The best group I could get was around the 5" mark and they would not be anywhere near any other bullet on the target. The Woody's I find to be the complete opposite. I do believe the Swift bullets are excellent for the soft nose.

If the buff I shot heart was full at the time the bullet hit he would mostly fallen over then and there or only a few steps afterwards. So in my instance it probably matters not that i did not use a soft nose. I did have Woodliegh Weldcores loaded but as we entered a treed area with lots of hanging vines and the shot may have to go through a vine I switched to the Hydro's. A somewhat saner move then relying on soft nose where there may be plant interference. My PH swore by Hydros and used then on Buff he shoots, though he mainly brains them.

Bruce you can stick your barnes where the sun don't shine.:) I recon I put all their kids through school with the amount of those things I have tried, different types, weights and calibres over the years. The best group I could get was around the 5" mark and they would not be anywhere near any other bullet on the target. The Woody's I find to be the complete opposite. I do believe the Swift bullets are excellent for the soft nose.

If the buff I shot heart was full at the time the bullet hit he would mostly fallen over then and there or only a few steps afterwards. So in my instance it probably matters not that i did not use a soft nose. I did have Woodliegh Weldcores loaded but as we entered a treed area with lots of hanging vines and the shot may have to go through a vine I switched to the Hydro's. A somewhat saner move then relying on soft nose where there may be plant interference. My PH swore by Hydros and used then on Buff he shoots, though he mainly brains them.
@Rule 303
I've never had any problems with Barnes TTSX in either of my 25s all well under an inch
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg