Woodleigh Bullets & Hydrostatic

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Ok, so im hearing that some people are not fans on Woodleigh projectiles. Some noted points ive noted
  • Dont drive them to fast
  • they are soft
  • they are an old Kynoch design, (Old technology) newer might be better
  • There are better
Being an Aussie i like the idea of supporting an Aussie company and maybe one day hunting DG with Aussie bullets overseas.

i also read a bit about them previously and it seems they have done plenty of field testing.

i bought some Hydro statically stabilized after research.

people here keep referring to north Fork and CEB? Cutting Edge Bullets. i did not make the connection until i asked. They are a monometal too. i had heard of meplat services but did not connect with CEB

so Barnes, CEB and Woodleigh Hydros are all monometal.

Has anyone given Woodleigh Hydros a fair go?

As a PH explained to me if it comes to stopping a buff then the PH is taking a shot from a less than desirable angle so they want all the advantage they can get.

but is a CEB to soft for hitting shoulder bone etc. Do Woodleigh Hydro compare against CEB, Northfork, Barnes??

Ive read why CEB say they are the latest leading edge technology but how far are they in front of other monolithic type bullets?

Another thing i read is that you dont want a bullet to pass through a Buff into another as your hunt may take a turn you did not see coming. And then there is the cost,

Mate, I’ve got hundreds of tonnes of experience with Hydros and conventional Woodleigh softs and solids, plus approximately ten tonnes of experience with CEB Safari Raptors and maybe thirty tonnes worth with Barnes TSX. There is NOTHING wrong with conventional Woodleighs. All the projectiles mentioned above work fine and I’ve experienced great / quick results with them all. There are certain shot angles / cover or multi-animal situations where one projectile may be better than another. Value for money with big animals falling-over promptly, it’s hard to go past Woodleigh conventionals - and I don’t say that lightly because I also think TSX, Hydro and CEB Safari Raptor are impressive.

@CBH Australia,

I have no experience with the Hydros. Lots of people here do however and I don't think I've read anything but positive about them. The closest comparison I think would be to the NorthFork Cup Point Solid (CPS) or Swift's somewhat newer solid.

The NF CPS has plenty of positive reviews. A solid for deep penetration yet acts a little bit like a soft and causes plenty of devastation.

Honestly I'm not sure I've read a single report on Swift's solid.

Regarding the Woodleigh softs, if you're comparing them to North Fork's or Swift's, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The latter bullets having bonded the lead to the copper resulting in high weight retention. Of the soft bullets using lead, I think they really are the best.

Comparing Woodleigh's or any other soft to the CEB Safari Raptors, isn't even apples to oranges comparison. More like onions to grape fruit. The CEBs are just a totally different bullet. I've hunted with them, and they are simply devastating.

All that said, I wouldn't criticize the Woodleigh softs. They are what they are and Woodleigh gives you their recommendation for velocity. Go outside of that and you may have a problem, but it is in my mind your problem as you were provide the information. But used in the proper velocity envelope, there certainly is plenty of positive reviews on their softs.

Many Woodleigh bullets are designed to be very like Kynoch bullets. These bullets are made to duplicate the performance of Kynoch bullets in double rifles regulated with specific Kynoch ammunition. As mentioned Woodleigh give an impct velocity range for each of their bullets. Stay in that zone to get the best performance possible.

Mate, I’ve got hundreds of tonnes of experience with Hydros and conventional Woodleigh softs and solids, plus approximately ten tonnes of experience with CEB Safari Raptors and maybe thirty tonnes worth with Barnes TSX. There is NOTHING wrong with conventional Woodleighs. All the projectiles mentioned above work fine and I’ve experienced great / quick results with them all. There are certain shot angles / cover or multi-animal situations where one projectile may be better than another. Value for money with big animals falling-over promptly, it’s hard to go past Woodleigh conventionals - and I don’t say that lightly because I also think TSX, Hydro and CEB Safari Raptor are impressive.

Well said

ive done quite a bit of research on Woodleigh bullets. as far as im concerned they are great bullets as long as you use the right bullet for the job.

-Woodleigh round nose bullets are excellent for class low velocity cartridges. these will often regulate in old double guns built around Kynoch ammunition. these are still bonded bullets and do a great job on animals such as cape buffalo. but you need to avoid high velocity with these otherwise your penetration will greatly suffer.

-Woodleigh protected point bullets are designed with modern high velocity cartridges in mind. when your cartridge proves to be too fast for the round nose bullet then this is your bullet. but you need to make sure your velocity doesn't drop too much or these wont expand properly and you run the risk of poor wounding.

-Woodleigh FMJ bullets are a near exact copy of the classic solid used in the days of old. these are easily one of the toughest bullets on the market (leaps an bounds better then Hornady's DGS). these are ideal for someone with a classic double rifle looking to hunt elephant!

-Woodleigh hydro solids are a very nice example of a modern brass solid. these will drive deep and do more damage then the classic FMJ. I would recommend these over the FMJ for bolt action rifles or modern double rifles. if I ever get around to hunting elephant, this is the bullet I will likely use in my 500.

PS: the Woodleigh loading manual is one of the most useful large bore loading manuals ever made!

-matt

Last edited:
PS: the Woodleigh loading manual is one of the most useful large bore loading manuals ever made!

-matt

Thanks for that tip, I better get me one of those!

Ohh, I’ve got the manual. Sounds like I need a Double so I can burn off these projectiles.
Can someone explain to my wife? I’m overcommitted with a couple of purchases and a planned hunt.
If, when I get a.375H&H I will start by buying Hydros unless I just want something for plinking.
Thanks for all the advice. I did not realise where these projectiles sat in the scheme of things when I purchased them back when I bought the rifle. Picked up stuff here and there and did not consider they’re are not the most suitable. I’ve got cheap projectiles for practice and some of the others I got as old stock on specials tables.
I believe that I am a bit more knowledgeable about smaller hunting cartridges but I’ve learbned something here.

Ok, so im hearing that some people are not fans on Woodleigh projectiles. Some noted points ive noted
  • Dont drive them to fast
  • they are soft
  • they are an old Kynoch design, (Old technology) newer might be better
  • There are better
Being an Aussie i like the idea of supporting an Aussie company and maybe one day hunting DG with Aussie bullets overseas.

i also read a bit about them previously and it seems they have done plenty of field testing.

i bought some Hydro statically stabilized after research.

people here keep referring to north Fork and CEB? Cutting Edge Bullets. i did not make the connection until i asked. They are a monometal too. i had heard of meplat services but did not connect with CEB

so Barnes, CEB and Woodleigh Hydros are all monometal.

Has anyone given Woodleigh Hydros a fair go?

As a PH explained to me if it comes to stopping a buff then the PH is taking a shot from a less than desirable angle so they want all the advantage they can get.

but is a CEB to soft for hitting shoulder bone etc. Do Woodleigh Hydro compare against CEB, Northfork, Barnes??

Ive read why CEB say they are the latest leading edge technology but how far are they in front of other monolithic type bullets?

Another thing i read is that you dont want a bullet to pass through a Buff into another as your hunt may take a turn you did not see coming. And then there is the cost,
Just stick to the velocity , woodleigh recommends & you won't have dramas. If penetration is what your after, you won't get better than the hydros. Buffalo arnt armour plated, & a good soft point or copper hollow point in the right place, first off will put them down.

ive done quite a bit of research on Woodleigh bullets. as far as im concerned they are great bullets as long as you use the right bullet for the job.

-Woodleigh round nose bullets are excellent for class low velocity cartridges. these will often regulate in old double guns built around Kynoch ammunition. these are still bonded bullets and do a great job on animals such as cape buffalo. but you need to avoid high velocity with these otherwise your penetration will greatly suffer.

-Woodleigh protected point bullets are designed with modern high velocity cartridges in mind. when your cartridge proves to be too fast for the round nose bullet then this is your bullet. but you need to make sure your velocity doesn't drop too much or these wont expand properly and you run the risk of poor wounding.

-Woodleigh FMJ bullets are a near exact copy of the classic solid used in the days of old. these are easily one of the toughest bullets on the market (leaps an bounds better then Hornady's DGS). these are ideal for someone with a classic double rifle looking to hunt elephant!

-Woodleigh hydro solids are a very nice example of a modern brass solid. these will drive deep and do more damage then the classic FMJ. I would recommend these over the FMJ for bolt action rifles or modern double rifles. if I ever get around to hunting elephant, this is the bullet I will likely use in my 500.

-matt
matt85 - Thank you very much for the clear explanation of the Woodleigh bullets and their intended use.

i use 286 gr hydros in my double and my scope sighted encore hand gun ,both in 9.3x74r.let the pics speak for them self's.cape buff,1 shot kill,complete pass through,oryx,1 shot kill at 129 yards,complete pass through.left shoulder was slop,jelly.only one bullet needed for D.G.or plains game.
DSCF0669.jpg
IMG_4180.JPG
as an afterthought,the spot over the right eye of the buff is crap to cover the bullet hole that went through his rib,shoulder,neck and then his boss when the ph wanted a security shot as we approached his dead body.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg