Won A Hunt - Is it worth it? Newbie needs help

I wanted to clarify from my previous post that it's not automatically a bad deal. It's just that the 'free' part of the hunt is not the full cost of the adventure. The total cost of my $5,850 package hunt was in the vicinity of $20,000 when all was said and done, with taxidermy being the main cost inflator. That final number includes a couple thousand dollars on gear that many regular hunters may already have on hand. I had not hunted before, so I did not have a rifle or binos or any of the other gadgets one might take with them on safari.

If you already have most of the gear and go light on the taxidermy you could probably get out of there for just a few thousand dollars, with the bulk of that being airfare and trophy shipping. For some forum members a couple thousand dollars is weekend money or something that can be easily rolled into their regular hunting hobby costs. For others, a commitment like that is a relatively large expense that requires a fair amount of planning. I don't know where you stand on that continuum. For me, the total cost of my hunt was a stretch, and would have been so even if the trophy package were free or discounted further.

I can say that hunting in Africa was the trip of a lifetime for me, and you will probably catch the bug and spend a significant time during and after your hunt plotting how to get back over there for the next one. Just the sheer variety and volume of wildlife you see on a daily basis is amazing.

@MountainmanZ I was in a similar situation for my first (and only, so far) safari. My Brother won an auction that was effectively 5 hunting days for 4 hunters going 2x1, plus each hunter received a $500 trophy credit. There was a 2 trophy minimum per hunter, and most of the same inclusion/ exclusion items as you have.

Keep in mind that a large part of the total expense is beyond the trophy fees: airfare, dip & pack and/or taxidermy work, shipping costs, gratuities, etc. I encourage you to get estimates and budgets for all the other items, add in the trophy fees for what you want to target, and make sure it works for you.

The other big note is to ensure the outfitter suits your style. For example, you mentioned your a bow hunter; if you plan to bow hunt then make sure they can provide opportunities for you. Or that they will support your hunting style (like spot and stalk). Anything that would be the difference between the hunt being "worth it" or a waste.

I certainly could have got better prices on trophies, but I have no thoughts that I got a bad deal. As long as you enjoy yourself, it will be well worth it!

The outfitter is hoping that you will get over there and shoot several more animals. This is normal and nothing wrong with it, after all, it is a business. Since the daily fees are low, you should definitely shoot as many animals as you can afford because it’s cheaper overall since you are already there instead of spending even more money going back for animals that you could have hunted on this first trip. You will probably want to go back to Africa again but on your second trip, you can go somewhere completely different with completely different species available.
Yep, like a buffalo!!! Sorry, I know, I have a problem...

My personal list of top 5, on this offer, for first time hunter would be:
Brown Blesbuck $450,
Springbuck $350,
Impala $450,
Warthog $450
Greater Kudu $2600

Kudu is iconic animal of Ruark and Hemingway, but the trophy pricing system in South Africa, per inch of horn, is also becoming more and more typical for the country.
I would consider a kudu, in lower size of horn... Considering that part of hunt is "won", and one animal free - you could consider getting yourself a small "luxury"
@ Mark Hunter
I hunted Namibia and are group of 3 got kudu from 52 to 58 inches. It didn't matter the size all were one reasonable price regardless of size.
Charging by the inch seems a great way to make money but not my idea of good.
Bob

As far as the ph and location itself goes I have a small bit of info. One of my customers hunted with that outfit a few years ago after watching an episode of "pigman" on one of the outdoor channels. All this customer does is bowhunt and was very happy with the hunt. Maybe something to check out on internet.

If I understand this correctly, this appears to be a 3 on 1 hunt for for seven days. I think I can make the numbers work depending what additional animals you shoot. My concerns are with respect to the hunt itself.

I really don't like hunting 2x1. Even when my son accompanies me, he has his own PH or guide. We have our together time around the fire in the evening discussing our separate adventures. Neither of us miss an opportunity. I simply can't imagine hunting 3x1 (other than a goose pit). Best case, it will turn a 7-day hunt into a 2.33 day hunt for each of you. It might be a even worse. You say you are a bow hunter. Are your friends? They won't be long if they spend all their time locked in a blind at a waterhole waiting for you to shoot something, or watching you blow stalks where kills could have easily been made with a rifle.

Before I would even begin to consider the economics of this thing, you three need to have a serious chat among yourselves about just what a 3x1 hunting experience will look like. And if you are the only bowhunter, then you need to find a rifle.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Bob, you are not aware how much I agree with you. Moreso, because I live in price per inch invironement, and exponential increase of price by measurement. (euroepan CIC)
In long term, I can say, due to this reason, I dont have a single trophy in CIC medal score.

Enf of July, beggining of August.
It was a roe deer rut season. I had a contract signed for my first Safari in Namibia, shortly, beggining of september.
So, at that particular moment I had a dedicated budget for safari, and say - limited funds for local hunting
So, I was hunting roe.
To cut the story short, in the late afternoon, I spotted roe buck. Actually a buck with a doe.
I came close to up to 40 meters. They were busy chasing each other in circles, and did not notice me.
When I put the rifle on the sticks, and took a good look thorught the zeiss scope, I froze.
This was the strongest roe buck, I have ever seen.
I took carefull aim, safety off.
And started thinnking.
Roe buck in fat gold medal, and If I squeeze the trigger, it will cost me HALF OF MY BUDGET for fortcoming safari to Namibia.
And...
And I let it go.
This roe buck was shot later, by local hunter, member of local hunting club (for local members, free of charge. And he shot it just because I told him where to find him) and was measured as the strongest roe buck shot in my country for that year, published in monthly hunting gazzete.
So, I hate pay-per-measurement system, more then you know. I really do. System is absoultely unsporting.

South Afrcia, is different.
In europe, although you have high fence areas here and there. Many of hunting areas are true free range unfenced. (like the area in my story), and game is true free range, except in case when the game is by its own nature - territiorial by behaviour.
In South Africa, they breed game.
Some of species have been on the good way to extinction and numbers declining when game ranching started. (roan, sable, etc)
In the beginigng, inbreeding, gene pool poor, and size of horn, modest.
With good breeding program, gradually the size of horn improved, and today is getting better, the numbers of animals improved and became accesssable for us to hunt, for reasonable price.
But the efforts to achieve all this, have been economically motivated.
And best breeding bulls reach bidding high prices for game ranchers (especially buffalo). So, from south african perspective, I understand pricing system, although not favoring it.
Ranchers invest in best breeding bulls, and expect financial gain, from investement in long run, with improved trophies. In that situation, personally I will be happy with good hunt, for mediocre trophy
South African system at least I try to understand, Euroepan system, I hate.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you ALL so much for the great feedback! I really can't thank you enough. They are asking me to commit to a date, so I am really trying to cover my bases as quickly as I can, and this info has helped a lot! I did shoot them some questions in regards to archery hunting specifically, as well as asked for past archery-customer contacts. Thanks again!!!

First of all you were duped. Everyone who bought a ticket won! This is the dirty little secret.
These donated hunts are tricky. They can be ok at best and a disaster at worst. I don’t want folks to have this be their first safari experience. I’ve spent a lot of time helping guys plan and execute their first safari because I want it to be epic!
This won’t be epic, as I said it might be ok.
Regards,
Philip
PS are there any guided moose hunts for $30? Why not?

Keep us posted, how it goes. I hope you will have a good hunt!
Speak with outfitter and references, and put all expenses on paper.
Then, check as well, deal&offer section of this forum and compare the prices.
Then make your decision.

Don't remember seeing in any of the posts but a HUGE issue now is getting trophies back to the states. Delta and SAA cargo are usually the carriers. They are not flying to RSA. Having said that, it may be YEARS before you see anything. An even more onerous issues is they MUST be in separate shipping containers and warthogs opens another can of worms. The other hunters may not want to be stuck with the freight costs associated with only a couple animals. One has to drill down very deep on these "wins", lest it winds up costing more than an actually better hunt.

Don't remember seeing in any of the posts but a HUGE issue now is getting trophies back to the states. Delta and SAA cargo are usually the carriers. They are not flying to RSA. Having said that, it may be YEARS before you see anything. An even more onerous issues is they MUST be in separate shipping containers and warthogs opens another can of worms. The other hunters may not want to be stuck with the freight costs associated with only a couple animals. One has to drill down very deep on these "wins", lest it winds up costing more than an actually better hunt.
Great points by Hogpatrol. Freight costs are high and timeline for getting trophies back to the states is uncertain at best right now.

How long is the hunt "good for" with this outfitter? We had 3 years from date won to schedule our won hunt; I'd certainly encourage you to see if it can be taken in '22 or even '23 and hopefully you would have a better picture of how travel/costs/shipments are looking at that time.

Great points by Hogpatrol. Freight costs are high and timeline for getting trophies back to the states is uncertain at best right now.

How long is the hunt "good for" with this outfitter? We had 3 years from date won to schedule our won hunt; I'd certainly encourage you to see if it can be taken in '22 or even '23 and hopefully you would have a better picture of how travel/costs/shipments are looking at that time.
Freight is still flying. I know, I got trophies back this past August. That said, it will not be the normal routes. Mine went through Turkey then to Atlanta. Costs weren't bad for that part of its trip, but I'm in Alaska so it got interesting after Atlanta.

Freight is still flying. I know, I got trophies back this past August. That said, it will not be the normal routes. Mine went through Turkey then to Atlanta. Costs weren't bad for that part of its trip, but I'm in Alaska so it got interesting after Atlanta.
Just curious, what country did you hunt and were they shipped out of Joburg?

Just curious, what country did you hunt and were they shipped out of Joburg?
Hunted the East Cape of South Africa. I believe it did leave out of Joburg. Transitted Istanbul. And I was wrong, it went to San Francisco from there.

Last edited:
Any first time hunt at a reasonable price is worth it. As stated several times already, the PH's goal is to get you your first African animal and you will be hooked. I would ask if he has any cull animals, they are typically much lower price. I expect most concessions have too many animals and need to get them off the property. Trophy or non-trophy a bow hunt will definitely be a challenge. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.