Won A Hunt - Is it worth it? Newbie needs help

MountainmanZ

Reaction score
Hello! Please forgive my absolute ignorance, but this is all new to me. A friend suggested I post this here to get some expert advise.

I "won" this hunt. I was hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not this was a good deal? I am an archery hunter from the western U.S.. I don't want to pass on what could be a great trip, but I also am not sure I would enjoy it.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Below are the details.

It's in South Africa.
I won it by purchasing a $30 raffle ticket.

Hunt Details:
This is the place I'd be going through: https://stompiesland.co.za/

DONATION DETAIL: • 7 Hunting Days • 3 Hunters Included Trophies Included: ( To be share by the hunters) 1 x Springbuck 1 x Gemsbuck 1 x Brown Blesbuck REGULAR MARKET VALUE USD 6,950 DONATION INCLUDE: Licensed Professional hunter Hunting vehicle Trackers and skinners, cook and camp staff Local wines, beer and soft drink Field preparation and reservation of trophies Daily catering and laundry Transfer from Port Elizabeth airport to camp and back 14% VAT (Value Added Tax) is INCLUDED in all prices in South Africa.

NOT INCLUDED: Trophy fees for all extra animals killed, wounded and lost. Accommodation before arrival in camp and departure from camp Gratuities of tips are at clients discretion Spirits and liquor Dipping, packing, documentation, shipping of trophies and taxidermy work Airline costs or where charter required Medical rescue insurance for the duration of safari Government taxes –if applicable in other countries Entry visa and airport departure Rifle Rental USD 20 / day Hunting licenses USD 150 per Hunter Delivery of trophies to taxidermist Additional costs and permit fees Relocating fee to another area.

Booking Terms and Conditions: ( Please read carefully) A deposit of U$ 500 Per Guest to confirm Dates. This deposit will be credit towards: Government tags per trophy, Extra Trophies, Gun Rental, Ammunition, Transfers. Extra Trophies Not included in the Donation: Important NOTE: Our program requires that each of the 3 hunters takes at least 1 extra trophy outside the donation package. The donation is only valid for 3 hunters.

A 50 % Deposit towards the extra trophy fees outside the donation is required to apply for the Government Trophy Tags for the Season. (If the hunter don t apply for the Tags there is a chance to be limit on their number of trophies to be harvest.) Balance must be paid 45 days before arrival. Trophies that are not hunted will be refund. Extra Hunters and Observer Fees: 1 Hunter x 1 PH USD 400 / Day 2 Hunter x 1 PH USD 350 / Day Observer USD 200 / Day

The main camp is located a short one - hour drive north of the beautiful seaside community of Port Elizabeth. You will fly into and clear customs in Johannesburg and the connect on a flight to Port Elizabeth. The lodge is set deep within the breathtaking Cape Mountains. Luxury Chalets that sleeps 2 people with en - suite bathrooms. The Eastern Cape is Malaria Free Zone. Hunting season runs March to October. Depending on the game you have on your wish list, we may overnight at some of our hunting destinations if travel is necessary. We utilize some of the most comfortable and scenic camps in the country. No matter where we hunt, a comfortable camp and a hot meal will be waiting for you at the end of the day. DAY TRIP FOR CLIENTS: We have different tours available such as: - Shopping and Day at beach in Jeffreys Bay. (Located in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa, 75 km southwest of Port Elizabet ) - DAY AT THE SPA - FISHING TRIPS ( Minimum 2 Person) - DAY ON THE GOLF COURSE ( Check the different golf courses. ) - TSITSIKAMMA TOUR DAY AND SHOPPING : Full Elephant experience tour ( Elephant back safari, interaction and elephant feeding ) See different monkey species, experience a 128 meter canopy and have lunch on the deck restaurant ) - BEACH HORSE RIDE.

Trophy Fees (I won't include them all): Brown Blesbuck $450, Springbuck $350, Copper Springbuck $1900, Burchell's Zebra $1500, Sable $8500, Blue Wildebeest $1100, Gemsbuck $1250, Impala $450, Warthog $450, Cape Eland $2000, Cape Kudu $1800, Greater Kudu $2600-$6000, Waterbuck $2100, Ostrich $500.......etc.

I think it would really be a fun hunt.............$30 for 3 hunters. 10 bucks apiece. Wow. $500 each to secure your dates seems very fair to me. Maybe someone here has hunted with them and will give a brief report....................or if you don't want to go, perhaps you can sell it...............best of luck..................FWB

Contact the outfitter, and for some contatcs for refferences from his clients.
Then, give them all, a call. Ask about their experiences. Numbers of animals seen, conditions in camp. Size of property. Are all the hunts done in one area, or they were driving from one area to another to collect the trophies. Food. etc... This is most important to put your mind at peace.

You "have" three animals, to share with three hunters, in one week.
Means, one animal per hunter. You will have a week time to hunt other animals. So, you can plan to take probably up to 5 animals per hunter. (this is average package for a week hunt). Prices quoted looks within average for South Africa. So, consider what other animals are intersting to you, and the price.

Then, once you calaculate all expenses, consider to have extra money on the budget. Between 10-20% of calculated budget.
For any additional animal of opprotunity, souvenirs, etc.

Here are a couple mentions I could find and they seem positive. I also found a couple positive mentions on another forum. Do some research on them and contact them to get a better feel.

Maybe you could tell us a little more about why you're apprehensive about it?

I would ask the outfitter the following questions:

1. Describe his set up for bowhunting- hide, blind, elevated stand or spot & stalk?

2. What the hunter could anticipate for average shot distance? If a professing bowhunting operation cannot get a bowhunter within 20 yds of an animal, they are not catering to bowhunters?

3. What is the size of the property you will be hunting?

4. Average number of hunters in the camp at a time?

5. Are bowhunter areas segregated from rifle hunters areas or do they share the same areas?

6. Will outfitter provide you with a list of both successful and unsuccessful BOWHUNTERS who have hunted with him in the last 3 yrs.?

I my humble opinion 3 animals for 3 people (1 animal per hunter) is not that hot of a deal in my opinion. Most auction hunts include at least 2 animals (1 small and one medium or large animal) per hunter.

Best of luck on you research

$30 for three hunters for your daily rate plus one animal each, that part is a deal. The price on Sable and Kudu is not. I suspect that where the outfitter is making up the loss of the daily rates.

My second safari to SA was won at a sporting show. I got 7 days two animal Impala Worthog this rang a bell because they were the two I didn’t get on my first trip. The form I filled out at the booth I said I wanted to get a Nyala and Red Hartebeest what they want is for you to be the first time hunter to SA and shoot 5-6 animals, in your case the three of you to take a bunch of trophies each.
I went on the free safari and did take those two trophies did several side trips that I paid for and had a great experience.
I would guess this is the same type of thing.
If you can get the other two it could be a great time.
Free safaris also include gratuity maybe 20% of what the total might have been split with Ph, trackers, skinners, cooks, laundry person etc. there are threads here that tell how that works. Shipping everything home ship and dip or taxidermy. I would say from my experience ship and dip is the best and have any work done back in the states.
I could put more but you will get more from other people.
enjoy the safari if you have always wanted to do one.

Look at the trophy fees carefully. They appear to be trying to make it on high trophy fees. However, there may be some animals that have reasonable trophy fees, perhaps impala, warthog, blue wildebeest. The zebra fee looks fine. Stay away from the high dollar animals and you may have a lot of fun. And as suggested above, check the references.

Agreed with the above. Get your references checked, ask specific archery questions and input from past archery hunters (I'm assuming that you are bowhunting).

The day rate and first animal fee is fantastic, but the prices on the mandatory additional animal and others is higher than some listed hunts by EC sponsors on this site. Do some due diligence and make an informed decision.

$30 for three hunters for your daily rate plus one animal each, that part is a deal. The price on Sable and Kudu is not. I suspect that where the outfitter is making up the loss of the daily rates.

Do you think the other trophy fees are a little high as well? $450 for a warthog or impala, $1250 for a gemsbuck, etc.? Like you said, making up for daily rates.

By the time you pay for a few extra animals you could find a similar or better deal or at least one more to your liking up in the deals or offers section. Then again if you want to take a trip with some buddies or family maybe this will work out.

Just remember, nothing is ever really free.

That is one of the worst websites I have seen but that isn't a deal killer per say.

I think prices are pretty much in line with exception of greater northern kudu (seems to be put and take). $2000 isn't bad if it is a 50-52".

3 hunters to 1 ph/guide means you aren't going to kill a lot of animals each if all 3 of you are hunting equal - even with a rifle. There just isn't the time hunting 7 days. If you all are on a strict budget and value time spent together, that's not a terrible thing. Just keep expectations lower bc you aren't going to shoot an impala, kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and wildebeest --- not going to happen.

If you want to shoot 4-5 animals and don't already have 2 other people committed, I think there are better options for the same eventual price.

If you just want to go and enjoy your time, then do your homework and see if it all checks out. If it does, proceed.

Good luck

My personal list of top 5, on this offer, for first time hunter would be:
Brown Blesbuck $450,
Springbuck $350,
Impala $450,
Warthog $450
Greater Kudu $2600

Kudu is iconic animal of Ruark and Hemingway, but the trophy pricing system in South Africa, per inch of horn, is also becoming more and more typical for the country.
I would consider a kudu, in lower size of horn... Considering that part of hunt is "won", and one animal free - you could consider getting yourself a small "luxury"

It sounds like a way to get three hunters over there with just enough of a taste to get them to buy more trophies and fill out the seven days. Given all of the extra costs that go into an international hunting trip (travel/airfare, tips, gear, dip & pack, shipping, taxidermy, potential day trips) it might make more sense to just book a package that features the animals you personally would like to hunt with an outfitter that specializes in bowhunting.

I guess it really depends on your budget and intentions. It might be fun to go and get a couple of animals and then spend some time doing tourist stuff with a couple of buddies. I think you'll find that this $30 hunt will cost at minimum a few thousand dollars per hunter, depending on what animals you take and how/if you decide to mount them.

Partially you are right, but I understand day rate for full hunt is included. This means to consider only additional trophy fee, for maybe 4 animals. My estimate, from total package almost 50% discount. If this comes from respectable ethical outfitter, all in all, not too bad.

I think that you have got some really good advice from several members. Please remember to keep a few things in mind. These people are running a business and need to make a profit. Obviously they are not going to make much of a profit with donation hunts. That is the reason that each hunter will have to purchase at least one other animal to hunt. What their hope is, is that all of you will choose to purchase more than just one! Their prices do not seem outrageous, and are in line with several other outfitters. A few people mentioned you hunting 3x1 (three hunters with one guide). I didn't see anything in the information that said that this was the case, so you may want to check on that. If you are hunting 3x1 then the amount of animals that each one of you will be able to shoot will definitely be more limited. 3x1 could be a good thing or a bad thing. You need to decide which is more important to you.. spending time with your buddies, or shooting more animals. One thing is almost a guarantee though, it's not going to be your only trip! Don't worry about shooting everything on your first trip because you're never going to go back.... that seldomly happens! After I went on my first (and what I thought would be only) trip, I found myself back 6 months later! LOL
One concern I feel you NEED to keep in mind is having two others that will for sure commit! To me, that's a risk. It states the donation is only valid for three hunters. The other thing that I noticed was
Rifle Rental USD 20 / day Hunting licenses USD 150 per Hunter Delivery of trophies to taxidermist Additional costs and permit fees Relocating fee to another area.
1. Rifle rental is reasonable, but how much is ammo?
2. Day hunting license is something I've never paid/experienced before. Is that a $150 per DAY? And is it per hunter? If yes to both then your deal just got a lot less attractive.
3. Delivery of trophies to taxidermist.... A lot of places include this, but because they don't you may want to find out how much they charge.
4. As far as additional costs, permit fees, relocating fee to another area..... I would talk to them and make sure that whatever you and your buddies are wanting to hunt, they have on their property so you don't need to travel elsewhere.
Once you have all your questions answered you will be able to make a far better decision.
Welcome to AH! Always nice to see new people. Good luck on your deciding/planning, and let us know how things turn out!

The outfitter is hoping that you will get over there and shoot several more animals. This is normal and nothing wrong with it, after all, it is a business. Since the daily fees are low, you should definitely shoot as many animals as you can afford because it’s cheaper overall since you are already there instead of spending even more money going back for animals that you could have hunted on this first trip. You will probably want to go back to Africa again but on your second trip, you can go somewhere completely different with completely different species available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross