Won A Hunt - Is it worth it? Newbie needs help

Personally I would pass. 3 hunters sharing one PH on a 7 day hunt is not a great deal. Trophy fees seem a bit high as well.

I'd just go on a regular hunt and with trophy fees it would be a wash, but you'd have a PH to yourself and actually have fun all 7 days.
3 hunters sharing 1 PH would be illegal. Max 2 hunters per PH per trip.

Gosh, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth - you won it for nothing for goodness sake! So go with one buddy and thoroughly enjoy yourself. I don't find their prices unreasonable at all, and what the heck, it isnt a trap, its a choice. You can go birding, walking, whatever, or just soak up some African sun. Of course they want you to shoot more animals, its called promotion and it looks like they have laid out quite a lot instead of just an advert like everyone else.

@Kevin Peacocke Kevin, with respect, I think you've misunderstood. Have you ever had a salesman or someone offer you something that just seems to be too good to be true? I think that's what @MountainmanZ is worried about. He's unfamiliar and is looking for information. He's a new member who has just joined our wonderful community to ask us for help. There can be positives and negatives with donated hunts, and it's very wise of him to gather as much information as he can before making a decision. Please remember, this is a very big decision for a lot of people, and for most it comes with a lot of unknowns.
Cheers. :D Cheers:

PS Him taking one buddy isn't an option with the way the offer is written.
NOTE: Our program requires that each of the 3 hunters takes at least 1 extra trophy outside the donation package. The donation is only valid for 3 hunters.

3 hunters sharing 1 PH would be illegal. Max 2 hunters per PH per trip.
Thank you! I learned something new! :A Thumbs Up: I haven't heard of anyone doing it before, but I didn't know it was illegal. I didn't see anywhere in the write-up where it said how many hunters per PH. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all 1x1. I'd recommend asking.

Overall the “deal” sounds to be in the ball park.

Question to ask yourself. Before buying the raffle ticket, did you really want to go to Africa in this area and with this outfitter?

Recommendation before going further. Invest some research time in the net and on the phone doing some comps and getting a feel for what these trips are about. Good start here on the AHF.

No matter what, that raffle ticket is an awfully inexpensive contribution if you don’t do anything. But is really expensive if the the trip is not what you really want to do. Last but not least, do some research on what bow hunting usually amounts to in Africa.

I bought a hunt at an SCI auction for $1,200. The hunt was on a large property in Limpopo and included day rates for two hunters and trophy fees for two nyala. I looked at their trophy fee list and saw that the fees for some animals were very high (kudu, etc.). We limited ourselves to the Nyala included plus warthog, impala and red hartebeest, all reasonably priced. It was an outstanding experience at a very low cost. However, if we had squeezed off on a few of the ‘premium’ animals the cost would have skyrocketed.

You have received some very good advice so far. If it were me, I'd go and limit myself on the animals on that property. Perhaps a couple of lower dollar ones where their trophy fees are reasonable. Go and have a great time. I'd also book with another outfitter for a few days elsewhere. Sable can be had for under $5K pretty readily so don't pay the $8500. There are several companies that advertise here that are set up for bowhunters. A 2nd hunt could be for as few as 3 days and 1-2 other animals that are much cheaper with someone else.
The last auction hunt that I won I also hunted 2 other properties. With the cost of airfare I try to stay at least 12 days in africa if you can. Some very good deals out there if you look a little. If you decide to add on you ask here for suggestions. Good luck. Go and have fun.
Bruce

Hunt Details:
This is the place I'd be going through: https://stompiesland.co.za/

DONATION DETAIL: • 7 Hunting Days • 3 Hunters Included Trophies Included: ( To be share by the hunters) 1 x Springbuck 1 x Gemsbuck 1 x Brown Blesbuck REGULAR MARKET VALUE USD 6,950 DONATION INCLUDE: Licensed Professional hunter Hunting vehicle Trackers and skinners, cook and camp staff Local wines, beer and soft drink Field preparation and reservation of trophies Daily catering and laundry Transfer from Port Elizabeth airport to camp and back 14% VAT (Value Added Tax) is INCLUDED in all prices in South Africa.

NOT INCLUDED: Trophy fees for all extra animals killed, wounded and lost. Accommodation before arrival in camp and departure from camp Gratuities of tips are at clients discretion Spirits and liquor Dipping, packing, documentation, shipping of trophies and taxidermy work Airline costs or where charter required Medical rescue insurance for the duration of safari Government taxes –if applicable in other countries Entry visa and airport departure Rifle Rental USD 20 / day Hunting licenses USD 150 per Hunter Delivery of trophies to taxidermist Additional costs and permit fees Relocating fee to another area.

Booking Terms and Conditions: ( Please read carefully) A deposit of U$ 500 Per Guest to confirm Dates. This deposit will be credit towards: Government tags per trophy, Extra Trophies, Gun Rental, Ammunition, Transfers. Extra Trophies Not included in the Donation: Important NOTE: Our program requires that each of the 3 hunters takes at least 1 extra trophy outside the donation package. The donation is only valid for 3 hunters.

A 50 % Deposit towards the extra trophy fees outside the donation is required to apply for the Government Trophy Tags for the Season. (If the hunter don t apply for the Tags there is a chance to be limit on their number of trophies to be harvest.) Balance must be paid 45 days before arrival. Trophies that are not hunted will be refund. Extra Hunters and Observer Fees: 1 Hunter x 1 PH USD 400 / Day 2 Hunter x 1 PH USD 350 / Day Observer USD 200 / Day

The main camp is located a short one - hour drive north of the beautiful seaside community of Port Elizabeth. You will fly into and clear customs in Johannesburg and the connect on a flight to Port Elizabeth. The lodge is set deep within the breathtaking Cape Mountains. Luxury Chalets that sleeps 2 people with en - suite bathrooms. The Eastern Cape is Malaria Free Zone. Hunting season runs March to October. Depending on the game you have on your wish list, we may overnight at some of our hunting destinations if travel is necessary. We utilize some of the most comfortable and scenic camps in the country. No matter where we hunt, a comfortable camp and a hot meal will be waiting for you at the end of the day. DAY TRIP FOR CLIENTS: We have different tours available such as: - Shopping and Day at beach in Jeffreys Bay. (Located in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa, 75 km southwest of Port Elizabet ) - DAY AT THE SPA - FISHING TRIPS ( Minimum 2 Person) - DAY ON THE GOLF COURSE ( Check the different golf courses. ) - TSITSIKAMMA TOUR DAY AND SHOPPING : Full Elephant experience tour ( Elephant back safari, interaction and elephant feeding ) See different monkey species, experience a 128 meter canopy and have lunch on the deck restaurant ) - BEACH HORSE RIDE.

Trophy Fees (I won't include them all): Brown Blesbuck $450, Springbuck $350, Copper Springbuck $1900, Burchell's Zebra $1500, Sable $8500, Blue Wildebeest $1100, Gemsbuck $1250, Impala $450, Warthog $450, Cape Eland $2000, Cape Kudu $1800, Greater Kudu $2600-$6000, Waterbuck $2100, Ostrich $500.......etc.
First and foremost, will each hunter have a PH (professional hunter) or will it be 3 hunters with one PH which is not a good mix. What will be the extra cost for each hunter to have his own PH?
Coming off a pandemic year and this year not much relief in sight, trophy fees seem high. But then someone (you) has to pay for the donated hunt and they want to make money on the deal.
Check around on other outfitter sights, (there are plenty here) and compare daily rates and trophy fees for animals you want. You may find you can get a better deal some where else.
Depending on where you fly out you may have to spend the night in Joburg and connect to Port Elizabeth the next day, extra expense. Check with travel agents. Then if you take rifles there is another issue.
I'll let you digest this for now. Good luck and have fun where ever you go.

I bought a hunt at an SCI auction for $1,200. The hunt was on a large property in Limpopo and included day rates for two hunters and trophy fees for two nyala. I looked at their trophy fee list and saw that the fees for some animals were very high (kudu, etc.). We limited ourselves to the Nyala included plus warthog, impala and red hartebeest, all reasonably priced. It was an outstanding experience at a very low cost. However, if we had squeezed off on a few of the ‘premium’ animals the cost would have skyrocketed.
Due diligence pays off.

Seems like a good offer, for $30 its a great offer. Some people may have a hard time finding 2 other hunters to go...and if you cant find 2 other hunters the bright side is you're only out $30!

If you do find 2 other hunters the question, I'd ask the outfitter is if all three will be 1x1 or will one hunter be 1x1 and the other hunters be 2x1. Personally since I won the hunt I'd take the Gemsbok and let them choose between the Blesbuck and springbok. I'd then add blesbuck, springbok, warthog, and blue wildebeest. Which should total about $2,250... For 7 days and 5 animals that's not bad at all. Even if you added a Cape kudu you'd be at $4,050 for 7 days and 6 animals... again not bad at all.

Buy coming here you're already doing a great job of research before your trip. Only other advice would be look into the following as far as cost goes to prepare:

Flights roundtrip US to Africa
Flights from Joberg to Port Elizabeth and back to Joberg or Cape Town
Overnight in Joberg on the way in
Excursions you may want to take
Tips while there
Souvenirs
Cost for trophy care after hunt dip & pack or have work done there
Shipping cost of trophies back to US
Cost to have trophies cleared or learning how to clear them yourself

I "won" this hunt. I was hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not this was a good deal?
If this looks like it is going to happen I would pick some days around a new moon if they have them. Bow hunting would be best in the dry time I was there the first part of October before the rain season started and that was great for bow hunting.

If you plan on taking more animals (one animal in seven days will NOT work), check the site's sponsors prices for the additional ones. I believe you'll find those prices lower and more than enough to cover the day rate.

I don't see anything that specifically says 3 hunters and one PH. As LvW says....that would not be legal anyway. Listen to Bruce and Kevin. That is good advice. Get two buddies and go have fun. It will be a great first trip. Some old timers on here have said, "I wouldn't go...." of course not. It is for a newbie. they already have most of the common trophies. Others have said, "it looks like they're trying to make money on trophy fees".....Ya, that IS how operators stay in business...they have to make a little money. As for kudu, don't give up on Cape Kudu......they are not little, and still make a great trophy. I have bought auction hunts. Never had a bad one. I checked out these guys......all looks good............FWB

Welcome to AH !

You already got very good advice, and I think it´s right that you should question wether this is a good deal or not.

So, I would just pick out the species I would like to hunt, and calculate what it would cost me with "the donation", and with one of the sponsor outfitters on the forum, in the same area.

For my nickles worth I would look over the contract very closely and then make a decision. Their price list doesn't look too far out of line with what I have seen other outfitters charging. Some animals are higher and some are lower. I would do some math from the download that they have regarding prices and animals to see just what you may end up spending if you want another animal or two. I would also send the outfitter a email asking them how the PH is going to be handled. I have no idea of what the laws are but as others stated 1 PH for 3 hunters is not legal but 1 PH for 2 hunters is. So will there be two PH's or do you have to alternate on who is hunting today vs tomorrow?

I would also contact SCI or whoever you won the raffle from at and see if they have any bad reports on hunts that were donated. There are quite a few stories here about how I won a hunt and ended up getting screwed over by the outfitter.

You will also find that the hunt is the cheap part of hunting Africa. By the time you figure in airfare, tips, any dip and pack, transporting the trophies home, transportation here in the US, rifle permits if you use a service, and perhaps a hotel stay before the hunt you will see that the deal is OK but not great.

It is usually just a way to get you over there to spend money.

My two cents: look at the hunt offers on AH, calculate what a hunt with a few different outfitters and see if the money makes sense if it doesn’t choice a different option.
There are a lot of options and opportunities in Africa and it’s best to do a lot of research before you book a hunt of a lifetime. Once you have been to Africa you most likely will be planning trip 2 and three, just saying....

NO, YOU SHOULD NOT GO! To make it easier on you, I'll give you $50 right now for that ticket. :cool::giggle:
Hello! Please forgive my absolute ignorance, but this is all new to me. A friend suggested I post this here to get some expert advise.

I "won" this hunt. I was hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not this was a good deal? I am an archery hunter from the western U.S.. I don't want to pass on what could be a great trip, but I also am not sure I would enjoy it.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Below are the details.

It's in South Africa.
I won it by purchasing a $30 raffle ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross