Boela

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Zululand Hunters & Conservation Association, South African Hunters Association, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, England, Wales, Austria, Swaziland, US: Idaho, Alaska
Good day AH members.
I happened to come across a deal on a Winchester 30-06 XPR for ZAR 10 000 (new). Being a Winchester fan and in the market for a 30-06, I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit more info on this model.
I have three Mod 70’s, which I am very happy with though. Would anyone prefer / recommend a XPR over the Mod 70 / should I rather stick to the Mod 70? This will become a hard working rifle exposed to the elements on a very regular basis.
Regards
Boela

the XPR is winchesters foray into the budget rifle market ($450). I would stick with the M70 if it is going to be a hard use rifle

Dont have any experience with the XPR but have a couple of M70's
The M70 is really a nice rifle and i would not swop it for anything in the world

I am a devoted M70 fan and have no experience with the XPR. It may be a fine rifle for the price point, I really don't know. What I am sure of is that if I were looking for an inexpensive rifle that I could count on, it would be the Tikka T3 series. The Tikka's are very accurate with as smooth an action as you can have. Good looking they're not, but they're awesome shooters.

Reactions: lcq
I am a devoted M70 fan and have no experience with the XPR. It may be a fine rifle for the price point, I really don't know. What I am sure of is that if I were looking for an inexpensive rifle that I could count on, it would be the Tikka T3 series. The Tikka's are very accurate with as smooth an action as you can have. Good looking they're not, but they're awesome shooters.

Tikka is a great rifle but it isn't what I'd call inexpensive, at least not in Canada

Tikka is a great rifle but it isn't what I'd call inexpensive, at least not in Canada

About $550 I think I paid for my son's .308 a few years ago. The T3 Lite......black plastic stock.....blued barrel....not pretty. His first 3 shot group, a one holer.

You could pick up a Basic Weatherby Vanguard/Howa, for XPR money or close to it. I'm impressed as hell with my wood stocked 257W first time out

About $550 I think I paid for my son's .308 a few years ago. The T3 Lite......black plastic stock.....blued barrel....not pretty. His first 3 shot group, a one holer.

They are really accurate out of the box, the bolt lift is only 70 degrees and slicker than snot on a glass door knob

Thank you for your inputs gents, I’ll stick to the Mod 70 that stood the test of time.

Budget rifles usually sacrifice on something. I would save and buy the Model 70.
I think the Tikka is nice though.

Thanks Enysse.
I have been thinking to get myself a Mod 70 Extreme Weather for quite some time, it was only recently that I became aware of with the XPR. Not knowing anything about the particular model and having never seen one - I knew that AH members would be able to advise. With the experience, knowledge and inputs of our members here, I have decided to pass on the XPR. Do you by any chance know if you can buy / order a factory built Mod 70 with a 20" barrel?

I looked and they make Model 70 Featherweight compact, calibers 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm 08 Rem and 308 Win. They make other models but they start at 22 inches and get longer. You would have to do something custom.

I'm not a fan of jumping on the newest thing to hit the market. I love the Model 70 and would stick with that.

Thanks Enysse.
I have been thinking to get myself a Mod 70 Extreme Weather for quite some time, it was only recently that I became aware of with the XPR. Not knowing anything about the particular model and having never seen one - I knew that AH members would be able to advise. With the experience, knowledge and inputs of our members here, I have decided to pass on the XPR. Do you by any chance know if you can buy / order a factory built Mod 70 with a 20" barrel?
I have the Xtreme Weather in 300wm. Very dependable and nice shooting.

You'd have to go custom to get a M 70 in a 20" barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg