Winchester Model 70 300 H&H Magnum Super Grade

Checkering is a factor also. Usually the SG will be hand checkered in earlier models and wrap clear around the bottom of the forepart of the stock.
Pistol grip cap and forend tip are or should be ebony and the floor plate should state Super Grade on it.
Thanks.......
Now...mine seems to be a "Employee Grade"

HWL

Photo of this rifle from this deer season. Only saw one deer that evening and this boar ran him off.
Pig.jpg

What makes a Winchester Model 70 a "Super Grade"?

I do have a Model 70, but no idea, what "Grade".

HWL
It was initially an upcharge from Winchester's custom shop in 1936 that included a nicer piece of wood. This morphed into a sales tactic/upcharge from Winchester.

It could be had with or without a cheep piece, it most commonly included a black forestock (not always) cut at 90 degrees, had a supergrade grip cap, and the bottom metal was engraved supergrade. Barrels could be the same as the standard grade and come with or without sights. The magnum supergrades often came with them. The stocks also had different sling studs. Bolts were often times jeweled. Checkering was normally different on the supergrades but again there were different grades and upcharges. Many also had different buttpads.

There are some differences between Pre-64 and Post-64 manufactured guns not just in terms of CRF vs PF but also in what was done as a Super Grade. Within the Pre-64's you'll see difference between a Pre-War, Transition Period, and Post War Guns, but even with-in those 3 blocks there can be some cross-over, especially in the Transitional Guns. There are a lot of fakes out there so be careful. Serial Numbers aren't the only thing to look at.

I see from the safety that your Model 70 find is not just pre-64, but pre-War. All of my competition Model 70's were pre-War, because of the smoothness of the action and the clip slot.

My plains game rifle for my three African hunts was a Model 70 .300 H&H. I preferred it over its more modern counterpart, the .300 Winchester Magnum, because of the totally reliable feeding action of the sloping shoulder case, and that trait proved itself repeatedly in the field. I used Winchester factory loads of 180 grain Silver Tips exclusively and found them accurate and effective.
Looking at it, I think the rifle is actually a transition block gun, with a pre-war safety. Winchester was using a lot of left-over pre-war parts during the transition time period. I've seen it all the way on guns made into 1952 and they're almost always H&H Caliber Rifles, but would need to confirm the serial number to be positive.

I personally have a .375 H&H with the prewar safety, prewar receiver bridge and bolt design, that is a Type II transition gun from the mid 1940's. I'm guessing everything on my gun was manufactured pre-war, and assembled shortly after WWII ended. Winchester made more guns in each of the years 1939 , 1940, and 1941 leading up to WWII, than they made in the entire 5 year period the US was involved in WWII.

Looking at it, I think the rifle is actually a transition block gun, with a pre-war safety. Winchester was using a lot of left-over pre-war parts during the transition time period. I've seen it all the way on guns made into 1952 and they're almost always H&H Caliber Rifles, but would need to confirm the serial number to be positive.

I personally have a .375 H&H with the prewar safety, prewar receiver bridge and bolt design, that is a Type II transition gun from the mid 1940's. I'm guessing everything on my gun was manufactured pre-war, and assembled shortly after WWII ended. Winchester made more guns in each of the years 1939 , 1940, and 1941 leading up to WWII, than they made in the entire 5 year period the US was involved in WWII.
Serial # 103691. I think 1949.

That S/N and year lines up with what I was seeing in the pictures. The 1947 - 1950 years are a hodge podge. Have you checked to see if the bolt s/n matches the rifle, or checked the barrel stamp to see if the year matches? I'd check that out just from a value perspective.

Its an amazing rifle and I hope you get a deer with it this coming fall as well as an opportunity to use it in Africa on some plains game.

That S/N and year lines up with what I was seeing in the pictures. The 1947 - 1950 years are a hodge podge. Have you checked to see if the bolt s/n matches the rifle, or checked the barrel stamp to see if the year matches? I'd check that out just from a value perspective.

Its an amazing rifle and I hope you get a deer with it this coming fall as well as an opportunity to use it in Africa on some plains game.
The bolt does match, but I have not checked the barrel. The only thing I question on it is the rear sight. it is a folding sight and not a spring sight. All other Super Grades I've seen from this time the spring sight.

Dammit man!

The bolt does match, but I have not checked the barrel. The only thing I question on it is the rear sight. it is a folding sight and not a spring sight. All other Super Grades I've seen from this time the spring sight.
Sights get swapped out a lot, especially given there weren’t a ton of stock options so some people need a taller or shorter sight to get a good cheekweld. It’s easy and cheap enough to replace if you want to go factory and how it was shipped.

Now just go out and keep shooting stuff with it!

...Your receiver number (103691) was produced between February 1, 1949, and March 4, 1949.
2/1/49 #103225 -3/4/49 #105240

Front sight for Super Grade should be a gold bead Redfield 255, or gold bead Winchester 103C.
Rear sight should be a Winchester 22G with adjustable leaf spring and 3C elevator.

Underside of barrel may or may not be stamped: SUPER. Barrel date stamp: 49

Nicely re-furbished .300H&H.

WOW great rifle in a great caliber. I have a set of dies and several boxes of new old stock vintage brass for this caliber that I got for a song. But don't have a rifle. I figured someday I'll come across one. I also have the same thing going on for 505 Gibbs. Hopefully someday I'll come across a a gun or do a build. Anyway awesome find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois