roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
Digging through my father's ignored gun safe I came across an interesting 300 H&H I wanted to pass along. The rifle is a M70 in 300 H&H with a factory heavy barrel / match set-up. I have never seen one of these "Bull Rifles" before. Serial number 38585. On online Winchester serial number look up site has year of manufacture as 1941.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a re barrel; the pre 64 super grade I had in .300H&H was actually marked on the factory barrel “300 MAGNUM”
A bit of looking on google images shows quit a few marked 300 H&H apparently factory. I do not know the history on this rifle.

Long range match rifle, seriously cool!

Will you put an Unertl scope on it?
I think my dad is looking to sell it at some point. I’m not to sure if he will put a scope on before that or not. I’m trying to convince him to sell off his odd collection and do some more hunting. He has loads of random firearms.

I think my dad is looking to sell it at some point. I’m not to sure if he will put a scope on before that or not. I’m trying to convince him to sell off his odd collection and do some more hunting. He has loads of random firearms.

Cool rifle. Quite valuable if unmolested and if the serial numbers all jive. Slap a modern set of scope mounts on it or remove a few original features like the scope mount on the barrel and becomes a pawn shop gun.

The good news, the rear bridge has NOT been drilled/tapped for a scope mount which enhances the value of the rifle. Condition and originality dictate worth with these old M-70 rifles.

I have several Unertl Scopes to complete that rifle, PM me if interested. That rifle deserves one!

Roverandnbrew, what a find, I'll bet your dad knew about it all along. Buy a Unertl scope from Cody and find a set of metallic sights. Then promptly notify "Pops" that you want him to include it as part of your inheritance. You've only got one shot at "doing this right."

@roverandbrew I did some additional digging on this gun. If it is legit as it seems, the gun is worth $3000-$5000. (assuming no undisclosed defects, modifications, that its internally pristine, etc.)

If you're going to sell it, definitely sell it. If you're going to keep it, it matters little whether you paint it purple or put a pic rail with night vision on it.

But keep in mind, simply handling that gun or shooting it from the range is tossing hundred dollar bills in the fire. The winchester collectors are such obsessive folks that every ding, every molecule of bluing lost by racking the bolt, this stuff is all accounted for in the valuation of such a gun. This is why I do not collect winchesters because you cannot collect them and enjoy using them at the same time as they are incompatible themes. Anyone that claims otherwise does not have collector grade winchesters.

If it were me, I would sell it for FMV and use the money to buy a gun you will enjoy using the rest of your days. If you're going to keep it, get it cleaned of debris and micro rust and display it in a glass case where it never gets safe marks from other guns dinging it.

Same here, looks legit to me. There is a market for all things pre-64 Win 70 if they are unmolested as this one appears to be. I think that model was popular for some of the Camp Perry matches. Not my cup of tea, but for a serious Win 70 collector- tops. I too looked and found current records of sale of ones like this at $3000-5000. If mine and wishing to sell, I'd get it to a large market online or to known collectors or outlet dealers and see what happens.

@roverandbrew I did some additional digging on this gun. If it is legit as it seems, the gun is worth $3000-$5000. (assuming no undisclosed defects, modifications, that its internally pristine, etc.)

If you're going to sell it, definitely sell it. If you're going to keep it, it matters little whether you paint it purple or put a pic rail with night vision on it.

But keep in mind, simply handling that gun or shooting it from the range is tossing hundred dollar bills in the fire. The winchester collectors are such obsessive folks that every ding, every molecule of bluing lost by racking the bolt, this stuff is all accounted for in the valuation of such a gun. This is why I do not collect winchesters because you cannot collect them and enjoy using them at the same time as they are incompatible themes. Anyone that claims otherwise does not have collector grade winchesters.

If it were me, I would sell it for FMV and use the money to buy a gun you will enjoy using the rest of your days. If you're going to keep it, get it cleaned of debris and micro rust and display it in a glass case where it never gets safe marks from other guns dinging it.
I really appreciate your thoughts on this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross