WIN a FREE Hunt, Taxidermy & Sightseeing Week in Romania with a Guest for 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats

Congrats John, can't wait for the report!!

Lucky dog! Can't wait to read the report!

I shot my first turkey today. Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, and I'm not allowed at that grocery store again but it was awesome!

Congrats!

Well it is that time, I am preparing for our trip to Romania in a few weeks. I look forward to posting photos and a report in August. Thanks to Jerome and folks from AfricaHunting.com and George Dumitru with
Romania Hunting Outfitters. My wife and I are excited to go on this adventure.

I’m excited for you! Hope you and the Mrs. have a wonderful trip.

20190804_074129.jpg

Hi Everybody,

I am back from our trip to Romania. I again want to thank George Dumitri from @Romania Hunting Outfitters and his son for the fantastic visit to his beautiful country. I also want to thank Jerome and AfricaHunting.com for hosting the contest on their site. My first impression is that Romania is a very green country with fantastic history and friendly people.

The temperatures during our hunt were in the mid 90's F with 85%+ humidity.​

We landed in Bucharest and learned that we needed to go to another of George's hunting areas because of government study with the boars in the intended hunting area north of the capital. George has associations with over 60 hunting areas across the country, so went to another hunting area in a different part of Romania. This was OK, as we got to see a good deal of the countryside and mountains that most people probably don't get to see. We stayed in a village called Carei near the Hungarian border. George's professional hunters Niko, Christi, and the head huntsman Vasile were experienced hunters that knew the area well. They knew the Roe Bucks well too. All three were able to call in multiple bucks from over 600 yards to a range of 100 yards or even closer.

As a North American hunter, I have never witnessed a hunter actually using a doe bleating call to bring in bucks in the grip of the rut. The bucks announced their presence by "barking" just like a dog, and then came in for a look.

It was pretty cool. For those that have never hunted these deer before, they are reddish brown, a bit larger than a duiker and smaller than a white tail. They are extremely quick and rarely present for more than one shot before they slip into the corn or sunflower stands. They also like to just lay down head and all in a field, making them real hard to see during the middle of day. I harvested three roebucks within a couple of days (photos attached). For two of the bucks that I took, Niko and I stalked them across a field and stream for about thirty minutes. We came up 50 yards from both while they were locking antlers. Christi called the third one I harvested into within 100 yards of me at the end of third day.

The wild boar were more elusive. We went out to stands on each of the three nights we were there. We heard and saw plenty of piglets and small boars and sows each night. Whether it was the heat or they could smell the DEET on my arms, the big ones never presented themselves, which happens here in southern NM or west Texas all the time. Regardless, I loved the Roebuck hunt and George threw in a third shoulder mount because we did not get a shot at a big boar. My wife even enjoyed the roebuck hunting. She has eagle eyes and can spot them even when sitting. She even impressed Vasile by spotting numerous deer as we went from field to field. Will post pictures of sightseeing in next post.

20190804_074026 Revised.jpg
20190805_214945.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome @JOHN WATERS ! Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing!

Nice trophies! Congrats on the hunt.

Congrats on the hunt and glad that you had a great time. Thanks for sharing @JOHN WATERS!

Congratulations.
They are an incredible little deer to hunt in the rut.

On the sightseeing portion of the trip, we saw the 12th century town of Sighişoara, the birthplace of the national hero, Vlad Tepes, or Vlad the Impaler (of Dracula fame) as he is known to the world. We also toured several castles including Bran Castle (of Dracula fame) and Pele's Castle (the summer castle of the Romanian royal family until 1947). The old buildings, churches and history of Romania were impressive. It was evident even in the small villages throughout the countryside. We even toured a 13th century salt mine t Turda with a Farris wheel and bar inside at bottom.

20190807_094043.jpg

Mammoth Door Knocker for Dracula's Bran Castle

20190807_091648.jpg

Bran Castle

20190802_143218.jpg

Beautiful Carpathian Mountains

Again, thanks to George and his son Condrit for their hospitality and for showing us the special places in Romania.

Last edited by a moderator:
A hunter visited another hunter and was given a tour of his home. In the den was a stuffed lion. The visiting hunter asked, “When did you bag him?” The host said proudly, “That was three years ago, when I went hunting with my ex-wife.” “What’s he stuffed with,” asked the visiting hunter. “My ex-wife” replied the hunter.

Hi John, glad you had a great hunt.

I booked with George for September 2020 and sent in my deposit. I’ve been reaching out to him several times but he has not responded as of this date.

I’m beginning to think that this outfit is a scam. I hope I’m wrong.

Hi John, glad you had a great hunt.

I booked with George for September 2020 and sent in my deposit. I’ve been reaching out to him several times but he has not responded as of this date.

I’m beginning to think that this outfit is a scam. I hope I’m wrong.
Hi @Retired Sgt, Please know that we informed this morning via the PM system George from @Romania Hunting Outfitters of your post on his Profile Posts page. I also just emailed him to inform him of your post above and asked that he contacts you as soon as possible. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any further assistance. Jerome

Hello sir, I did not receive any email, but in the past, I have problems with some emails going to my spam box or maybe I was out hunting. Lucky I was just checking the forum and just saw your post. Did not enter the forum for more than 6 weeks I think. Can you please PM or send me a whatsapp message if you use this app?
Best regards,
George

Hi Sarge,

His operation is legit. In addition to my wife and I, there was a hunter from Illinois, USA and a couple of doctors from Spain that were hunting with George's company at that time in Carei. He was a great host and has a number of hunts offered throughout the country. I am planning on going back in November of '21 for a chamois and boar hunt with him. I communicated with him using WhatsApp and his cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg