Will my Professional Hunter want me to bring more than a .270

Well for all of my extolling the 270 for North America, when I go on my first plains game hunt I'm taking my 500 Jeffery shooting 570g A-Frames at 2300 fps. First of all, I love shooting the gun and am a decent shot with it, second because I can. I can tell you it's hell on feral hogs and cow elk! :)

UPDATE

Some of you may remember that at one point in this thread I stated that I wouldn't have asked the original question if I had a .300 Mag. Well, guess what...

Last night I received a phone call - apparently the Calgary Fish and Game Association was having their annual banquet, and one of the events there was the drawing of the winners of their gun raffle. I entered said raffle at the African outfitters expo in Calgary this past January.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
I had to make a choice between a Beretta 391 and a Rem. 700 in .300 RUM topped with a Leupold scope.
I'll take the rifle, please.

So, now this thread is basically irrelevant because I can leave the .270 at home. I can not wait till the new boom stick gets here!

I don't know if any members of the CFGA are on this forum, but if you're reading this, THANK YOU!!

Congradulations on the new rifle.

Now your next post is going to be what type of ammo should I take along for my African Safari?

I'll start it off with this, use premium ammo shooting a good bullet 180 grains or more such as the Federal Premium 180grain Trophy Copper. And if you reload all the better since you can go to the Barnes TTSX bullets. Just my personal preference.

With the speed of your 300 RUM you need bullets that will hold together, A-Frames, North Forks Softs, I don't have a lot of experience with the TSX bullets but lots of folks love them especially at high speeds

I do reload, and if I didn't I'd start, at $3 a pop I couldn't shoot that round enough to justify keeping the rifle.

The first thing I'd like to figure out is a reduced load with which to practice. Recoil chases me from the firing line sooner rather than later.

For hunting I think I'll try 200s first.

You also might look into getting a removable muzzle brake put on. I have one on my .340 Weatherby and love it for developing a load or just practice off of the bench. But then I can remove it when I head out hunting.

Congrats and enjoy it!

I do reload, and if I didn't I'd start, at $3 a pop I couldn't shoot that round enough to justify keeping the rifle.

The first thing I'd like to figure out is a reduced load with which to practice. Recoil chases me from the firing line sooner rather than later.

I'm a big believer in getting off the bench as soon as the load is developed, which helps because a) you can shoot more when not on bench b) there isn't a bench in the field. :) I'm also a big believer in a PAST recoil pad from the bench.

Or just shoot my 500 Jeffery 5 times from the bench, your 300 Rum will feel like a 25-06 :)
That picture of your bruise should be your avatar!

lol! I agree with all of your advice. I do most of my shooting from either the offhand, kneeling or sitting positions. I only shoot form the bench to check sight in or do load development.

I've got an H&R Buffalo Classic in .45-70. Loaded with 325 gr FTXs at full power and with a metal butt that rifle lets me know what's going on. Hopefully this rig won't be quite as uncomfortable.
I'll definitely be working on a reduced load for plinking and getting comfortable with the gun, not to mention saving the barrel.

Congrats on winning the Rem 700 in 300 RUM. If you are going to do a lot of load development, suggest you get a lead sled or a Evo Shield shirt. (http://www.amazon.com/EvoShield-Protective-Recoil-Shooting-Shirt/dp/B006HCROYK )

Since you reload, here are a few articles from Realguns.com you might be interested in. The handloading link is an extensive table with numerous bullets and powders.

Remington's Model 700 CDL 300 Ultra Mag Part I
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar161.htm

Remington's Model 700 CDL 300 Ultra Mag Part II
http://www.realguns.com/archives/164.htm

Handloading the 300 Ultra Mag (125gr-200gr)
http://www.realguns.com/loads/300UM.htm

Remington's Model 700™ Sendero® SF II Ultra Mag Part I
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar182.htm

Remington's Model 700™ Sendero® SF II Ultra Mag Part II
http://www.realguns.com/articles/236.htm

I was toying with the idea of bringing my 270 Win and using old Barnes X bullets for blue duiker and such....just to have less cape damage. But I might just use the 180 gr. copper tip bullets in the 300 Win Mag.....decisions, decisions, decisions....

North Fork bullets seem to get a lot of attention so I looked them up... BWAHAHA for over $2 a piece I think I'll keep looking.

Congrats on the rifle win! I need to win a double in 470! Anyone interested in donating?

I just shot an impala ram with my .375 Ruger, perfect shot to the vitals, right behind the shoulder, good size exit wound, and it ran fully 150 yards.
This is where I am coming from guys!
Regards
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois