Why You Should Travel To Zimbabwe

Zim's natural beauty is second to none. Their hospitality is A+. Their PH's are the best trained and licensed in the world. Their game density and biodiversity is excellent. Their history is very interesting.

Their politics suck. As a consequence, in answer to the questions above, their accommodations are not spectacular. If they had spectacular accommodations, some greedy politician would find a way to nationalize the property, extort the leasee, or create a tender bid to ensure their crony friends can sweep it out of the hands of the existing operator.

That's the only thing about Zim, things can't be "too shiny and nice" or it creates troubles for the hard working operators and their staff. The worst of camps in Zim are still better than the typical western USA hunt accomodations or the shoddy motels of the southwest, so its not awful by any means. It's just not going to be 5-star. About the two nicest hotels in Zim are Rainbow Towers Harare (I think it was the Hilton or Marriott before nationalization?) and the Old Victoria in Vic. There are many charming bed and breakfast places and what the camps and hunting lodges lack in amenities, they make up for in service.

It's the only place I hunt in Africa.
Not to be a wise guy, but if Zim is the only place in Africa you hunt, you have nothing to compare it to.

Only hunted Zim twice, both were amazing safaris. Far better than ones I have done in SA, wild, real hunts. I love the country, people, hunting, PH's and everything about Safariing there. Most say Canada is good and I would agree but it is going the same as others state about UK and all countries with woke dictators.

I envy those who reside in Zim now, maybe one day I will get enough nerve spend a few months a year there.

MB

The most ideal life I can imagine is the one I live. This is not a brag mail, please don’t get me wrong, but some have asked whether they should consider Zimbabwe. The same may well apply to Botswana, Namibia or Zambia, but I am biased!
A secure house in a good suburb so you can pop up to the shops when the urge takes one to visit the fishing shop.
A double in the gun safe.
A Landy with a name.
Good friends with Landys with names.
A boat on Kariba, good tiger and bream spots.
A lock up and go situation.
A borehole
Solar or generator so off grid.
A fire in the pit whenever.
Warm weather.
A short 90 minute flight to Johannesburg
A flat in Johannesburg with a Suzuki Jimny parked outside.
Then a side trip to Botswana and Namibia (yet to happen)

Yes, this costs a bit to set up, but once there it is there. In my book this is far more fruitful a retirement set up than a slot in a retirement complex for example.

Not to be a wise guy, but if Zim is the only place in Africa you hunt, you have nothing to compare it to.

Only the outcomes and experiences shared by others for which I wish to avoid.

Zim is at the intersection of the “wild untouched wilderness that costs a fortune” and “abundant game for affordable prices” nexus.

There are cheaper places that are wild (Namibia) but they lack the bio diversity. There are extraordinary places that are infrequently hunted (Tanzania) but they are very expensive. There are niche places that provide unique animals but can be quite dangerous.(CAR, Moz) There are places that are very affordable but are high-fenced under active management with non-indigenous game. (RSA)

So I’ll stick with Zim for the reasons I’ve mentioned in large part, although I may do a family bowhunting safari in RSA to attempt to hunt animals I could not in Zim under archery conditions. (Nyala, Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest, Reedbuck)

You’re correct, I haven‘t been everywhere, but I’d say I’ve travelled Zim extensively, having been to every province/region other than the Eastern Highlands.

I have hunted Zimbabwe more than a half dozen times and I have never once had a bad hunt or experience. Camps may not be what those at the top end in RSA are, but I have always been very comfortable and what is more important, very well looked after. The people are friendly and happy to see hunters and I've found that authority figures tend to have less of a hand out than in many places I have hunted.

There is not the density of game you find in many hunting areas in South Africa and while each has its place, I recommend Zimbabwe to all first time African hunters as a place where they can get a more traditional hunt, not shooting from vehicles, and generally working harder for the game they get. Not a knock on South Africa at all - I love it there as well - but it is more developed than Zimbabwe and sometimes I want to get 'more' away from the modern world (Zimbabwe is nevertheless a lot more modern than some places I have hunted!).

I would also add that while the government is far from perfect, Zimbabwe deserves our support. Efforts are being made, and often significant efforts. As a Zimbabwean friend told me about a decade ago when discussing some of the problems the country was facing: "The US gives us lectures. The Chinese give us money." When we see China controlling much of the wealth of Africa, we know why. Every westerner spending time and money in Zimbabwe is helping to bring the country back into the western orbit.

Just my 2 cents.

Only the outcomes and experiences shared by others for which I wish to avoid.

Zim is at the intersection of the “wild untouched wilderness that costs a fortune” and “abundant game for affordable prices” nexus.

There are cheaper places that are wild (Namibia) but they lack the bio diversity. There are extraordinary places that are infrequently hunted (Tanzania) but they are very expensive. There are niche places that provide unique animals but can be quite dangerous.(CAR, Moz) There are places that are very affordable but are high-fenced under active management with non-indigenous game. (RSA)

So I’ll stick with Zim for the reasons I’ve mentioned in large part, although I may do a family bowhunting safari in RSA to attempt to hunt animals I could not in Zim under archery conditions. (Nyala, Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest, Reedbuck)

You’re correct, I haven‘t been everywhere, but I’d say I’ve travelled Zim extensively, having been to every province/region other than the Eastern Highlands.

I love Zim, but you are dismissing Mozambique, Zambia and Botswana without any direct knowledge or experience. They share many characteristics with Zim and are worth a visit.

I cannot think of anyplace in the world that I would rather live than in Matabeland, Zimbabwe. Unlike Mashona land who predominately votes for the ruling party. Matabeland, who votes differently receives little to no govt. support, our roads are worse than terrible. ZESA Zimbabwe's electric company does not even have a service vehicle for our area. We accept this as part of our life.

Someone mentioned security, like all countries there are cities & rural areas. Crime is at its worse in the cities. Fortunately where we live the Tonga people are a very honest and peaceful people. We do not worry about locking doors and I only lock my gun safe because the law states that we must.

If someone's primary interest is luxury, I would recommend Switzerland. If a person is looking for a life changing experience, come to Zim. Do we have some wonderful hotels and places to stay? Yes. One of many differences between Zim and lets say RSA is most hunting takes place on Government concessions, National Parks, Forestry and Campfire. Leases normally run from 5 years to 9 years 11months. Would you build a "luxury lodge" under these circumstances. In addition leases have a way of being forgotten when the Govt. decides they want it back.

Our next client is a AH member and his wife. This will be their 3rd hunt with us. This will be a 30 day hunt. He is looking for a genuine Zimbabwe where he hunts on the days that he wants to hunt we will fish on the days that he wants to fish. Drink and eat with friends, repair things that break down and help with community projects. I believe this is what a true Safari is all about.
Sir, Thank You for your well stated and informative post regarding Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe is the top of my list of African countries to visit...and hunt.
3 real world safari hunters I have met here in Louisiana, tell me Zim is the place for Safari.

Natural beauty, the Zambezi River, and the Zambezi Valley, much wild game, and native Africans eager to welcome westerners, and the benefits that the villagers receive for the licenses, the meat harvested for the villages, all matter.

As a student of history, geography, and culture, Zimbabwe, has always fascinated me.
Working with RSA citizens, that had fought in the Rhodesian wars, delivered a new perspective. They fought hard, but realized change was going through Africa.

To walk on the steps of legendary hunters, Frederick Courteny Selous, Alan Black, John Taylor, Richard Harland, JA Hunter, Kevin Robertson, Wally Johnson, and so many more, will be worth it.

I am being treated in Victoria Falls at the moment. He is a wonderful man & great Docter. He has his own brand new clinic. Best part you can reach him directly 24/7/365. Cost? What you can afford.

Yesterday one of my trackers was seriously injured in a bus rollover. Many riders lost there lives. We were able to get him to an Orthopedic Surgeon in Bulawayo,he will spend most of today getting tendons reattached and other surgeries. Total cost $950.00. Think what it would cost in the western world.

I am being treated in Victoria Falls at the moment. He is a wonderful man & great Docter. He has his own brand new clinic. Best part you can reach him directly 24/7/365. Cost? What you can afford.

Yesterday one of my trackers was seriously injured in a bus rollover. Many riders lost there lives. We were able to get him to an Orthopedic Surgeon in Bulawayo,he will spend most of today getting tendons reattached and other surgeries. Total cost $950.00. Think what it would cost in the western world.
Glad you are being treated Lon, hope it goes well. Sorry to hear about your tracker.

Reactions: WAB
Only hunted Zim twice, both were amazing safaris. Far better than ones I have done in SA, wild, real hunts. I love the country, people, hunting, PH's and everything about Safariing there. Most say Canada is good and I would agree but it is going the same as others state about UK and all countries with woke dictators.

I envy those who reside in Zim now, maybe one day I will get enough nerve spend a few months a year there.

MB

Part of me thinks the USA is going the same way. Once I cross the military finish line... had such a great experience visiting in '18, would be great to live without the cultural insanity of the West... now to acquire a wife who is willing and interested in such a life...

Glad to hear the country is actually really improving. Will have to look at visiting again next year!

If you are going to hunt in Zimbabwe, you should look up John Sharp or Dave Langerman.
Funny, I talked to John Sharp briefly at the DSC show in January and he seems to be very humble for what he has accomplished and would love to hunt with him some day.

It just worked out that Dalton & York Safaris could accommodate my dates & budget.

I love Zim, but you are dismissing Mozambique, Zambia and Botswana without any direct knowledge or experience. They share many characteristics with Zim and are worth a visit.
I agree and while Zim is great, there are very interesting species in Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique and Tanzania that are not available in Zimbabwe. Trophy quality can also be higher in some other areas. Mozambique is safe if you stay out of a couple areas in the NE and pricing is comparable to Zim. Like I said, Zim is great and @rookhawk has some good points about ease of travel and overall pricing but I sure am glad I have hunted other countries after starting in Zimbabwe.

I agree and while Zim is great, there are very interesting species in Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique and Tanzania that are not available in Zimbabwe. Trophy quality can also be higher in some other areas. Mozambique is safe if you stay out of a couple areas in the NE and pricing is comparable to Zim. Like I said, Zim is great and @rookhawk has some good points about ease of travel and overall pricing but I sure am glad I have hunted other countries after starting in Zimbabwe.

I'm not rejecting other countries, @Scott CWO . Just in the name of frugality and to maximize hunting opportunity for those that have an aversion to fences and game ranches, I recommend people hunt Zim a lot. If you still have experiences missing that you could not get in Zim, then "touch up" by going to the countries that have unique species or tough to hunt species in Zim.

Examples of hard to hunt species in Zim, whether due to lack of quota or marginal range in the country: Gemsbok, Tsessebe, Nyala, Roan, Common Reedbuck. You can pick those up in surrounding countries as part of a broader safari plan.

Where Zim really comes to life is in Dangerous game hunting. Whereas their plains game is somewhat expensive because of gov't quota and operator logistics, the DG logistics are quite similar so there are some bargains to be had. Elephant, Croc, and Hippo are great values in Zim. Buffalo is mid-point. Lion is obviously less than Tanz but more than CBL in RSA.

You can't have fun without fun tickets. (money) You run out of fun tickets in Zim at the slowest rate per minute.

Well Gents, its time you all start your bookings asap. With the Likes of Kevin P, and a lot more local boys than I can list herein, myself included, we can get all of you properly Poegaai’d after your amazing Safari/ Hunt of an exceptional experience. Now don’t all rush in at once and take all the hunts away from us locals…

I'm not rejecting other countries, @Scott CWO . Just in the name of frugality and to maximize hunting opportunity for those that have an aversion to fences and game ranches, I recommend people hunt Zim a lot. If you still have experiences missing that you could not get in Zim, then "touch up" by going to the countries that have unique species or tough to hunt species in Zim.

Examples of hard to hunt species in Zim, whether due to lack of quota or marginal range in the country: Gemsbok, Tsessebe, Nyala, Roan, Common Reedbuck. You can pick those up in surrounding countries as part of a broader safari plan.

Where Zim really comes to life is in Dangerous game hunting. Whereas their plains game is somewhat expensive because of gov't quota and operator logistics, the DG logistics are quite similar so there are some bargains to be had. Elephant, Croc, and Hippo are great values in Zim. Buffalo is mid-point. Lion is obviously less than Tanz but more than CBL in RSA.

You can't have fun without fun tickets. (money) You run out of fun tickets in Zim at the slowest rate per minute.

That would certainly be true of Botswana, but with a little scouting, that is not a fair characterization of Zambia and Mozambique. I have hunted buffalo in all of them (with the obligatory plains game as well). Botswana was a cancellation, so not a fair comparison, but the other three all fell within a couple thousand dollars all in. I believe that Zim trips would represent the most and least expensive of these.

Yes, I have most of the species you list, other than tsessebe, which is not high on my list.

I generally agree with you but you would be wise to consider Coutada 9 in Mozambique as another free range area with reasonable prices for plains game in high density, to include nyala and sable. C9 also has DG but not large DG quotas.

As for hippo and crocodile, I’ve got those and am not inclined to hunt them more than once, even if the price is reasonable.

What are you hunting over and over again in Zim? Buffalo? Anything else?

That would certainly be true of Botswana, but with a little scouting, that is not a fair characterization of Zambia and Mozambique. I have hunted buffalo in all of them (with the obligatory plains game as well). Botswana was a cancellation, so not a fair comparison, but the other three all fell within a couple thousand dollars all in. I believe that Zim trips would represent the most and least expensive of these.

Botswana had and certainly have nice PG ranches, particularly in the Tuli Block area. Their prices are similar to Zim with similar biodiversity. As you know, until recently there was a DG moratorium. Upon its end, the prices for DG in Bots were astronomical as there was pent up affluent demand. That demand is being met and prices are falling, but in so doing it is moving demand from other countries (Zim) making Zim an even better deal. My first Zim ten day PG hunt was $14,000 all-in. What I learned is that a DG hunt in the valley all-in at the same time (buff/hippo) with PG was $20,000 all-in. (these are <10 year old prices, but not current) I realized DG is the better value in Zim as you still get PG.

Moz is a very tricky place as you know. From the poachers penchant for putting bear traps on game trails in the flooded areas, to the terrorist killings around the Total Petro refineries and villages two years ago, to the game damage from poaching in the Nyassa, its high adventure with perils not considered in Zim/Bots/Nam/Zam/Tanz. One of my PHs spent several years in Moz as a PH and he does not advise going there at present time. Last time we discussed it around the campfire we were streaming video of the day of mercenary friends of his going in to kill terrorists. (about two years ago) I'm not a Moz expert, but given the species available there and the concerns expert friends of mine have told and shown me, I don't think juice is worth the squeeze presently.

So back to my endorsement of Zim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianne1092

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.