Why you don't trust others reloads!

Either myself or factory.

I always carry factory to Africa, because I trust them more.

Unfortunately, but true...

Federal Premium and Hornady DG have never let me down.
@Safari Dave
I trust my hand loads more than factory as I know the care that went into assembly.

A mate bought five boxes of Winchester 308.
Had 16 failure to fires in ONE BOX. Took the whole lot back to the store and exchange for federal. Imagine taking that lot of Winchester hunting.
Bob

@Kevin Peacocke
I either fertilize the lawn or have a bit of fun and burn it
Bob
It's the best way
20191229_214608.jpg

I recently broke down some ammo to post the brass interstate ( can’t post live ammo here) in 38-55 45-70 45long colt a few randoms and 45-90, these rounds came from an older gentleman who was getting out of competition shooting, they were all bagged into different reloads, eg jacketed, cast, hard cast. Luckily they weren’t fired as there was a couple of different smokeless loads and black powder ones all mixed in together in the calibre groups, when I commented on this I got "oh, they shouldn’t have been", he didn’t seem to know what he had there
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
When asked what is in some of my reloads I don't tell as it gets people nervous.
I was at the range chronographing some of my 303-25 loads. Some bloke looked at the speeds and asked what the case was I was shooting. When I told in he said that's crazy in that case you're looking to blow yourself up. I fired another shot, same speed. When I chambered the 3rd round he muttered something and walked off shaking his head. Silly prick didn't even realise it was a highly modified case in a front locking action. Just thought old 303-25, 3,500fps that bloke is an idiot. Some people just don't know and are unwilling to learn.
Bob

Man, since I posted this thread the universe has just been poking me. Got a new rifle on Thursday, and it came as a package: 6x47 (custom built), vortex scope, 2 mags, box of Bergers, and then 200 Lapua cases. Except that 100 of those cases were loaded. They were apparently made by the smith that built the rifle but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

When I did the math on the trade deal I made, I just accounted for the brass as empty. It's Lapua brass, so I'm happy with it. And dies were included. I just hate to let 100x38gr of H4350 go.

Man, since I posted this thread the universe has just been poking me. Got a new rifle on Thursday, and it came as a package: 6x47 (custom built), vortex scope, 2 mags, box of Bergers, and then 200 Lapua cases. Except that 100 of those cases were loaded. They were apparently made by the smith that built the rifle but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

When I did the math on the trade deal I made, I just accounted for the brass as empty. It's Lapua brass, so I'm happy with it. And dies were included. I just hate to let 100x38gr of H4350 go.
Don't fire the ammo! But a nice rifle.

@Rez Exelon,

And just where are the pictures? You should know by now when someone tells of a new gun purchase this forum requires pictures of the beauty,....or slut.:cool::giggle:

1) Talk with the gunmaker and ask for the recipe.

2) shoot 10 rounds of gunmaker's ammo over a chronograph, and note velocities. {It will help to satisfy the: "need", "lust", "fix", etc. :cool: ......Hell no it won't...you have an uneven box count....better to shoot 10 more over the chronograph..."just to verify the first 10 rounds velocities, and to have an even 20/box count.:unsure::whistle::cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:}.

3) do your on reloading and testing for accuracy, velocity, bullet preference, etc.

4) aquire more brass, bullets, powder;
reload, shoot, go hunting, enjoy repeat

Problem Solved.

In this situation having the gunmaker providing the custom ammo for a custom gun is not the same as shooting: your/his buddies reloads, or came with the gun reloads, or gun show purchase reloads.

Last edited:
@Rez Exelon,

And just where are the pictures? You should know by now when someone tells of a new gun purchase this forum requires pictures of the beauty,....or slut.:cool::giggle:

1) Talk with the gunmaker and ask for the recipe.

2) shoot 10 rounds of gunmaker's ammo over a chronograph, and note velocities. {It will help to satisfy the: "need", "lust", "fix", etc. :cool: ......Hell no it won't...you have an uneven box count....better to shoot 10 more over the chronograph..."just to verify the first 10 rounds velocities, and to have an even 20/box count.:unsure::whistle::cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:}.

3) do your on reloading and testing for accuracy, velocity, bullet preference, etc.

4) aquire more brass, bullets, powder;
reload, shoot, go hunting, enjoy repeat

Problem Solved.

In this situation having the gunmaker providing the custom ammo for a custom gun is not the same as shooting: your/his buddies reloads, or came with the gun reloads, or gun show purchase reloads.
I had to get pictures taken. One thing about HS precision stocks is that IMHO they never show themselves as well in pictures as they do in person so I figured I'd take it out back and try to get a nicer one.

IMG20240420144131.jpg

It's a rem700, custom barreled, vortex venom 5-25x56, Jewell trigger, with Magpul metal. Came with 2 mags, Redding match dies. 200 rounds of Lapua brass (100 loaded and recipe noted. Bullets are Berger 105s. 100 in the bullets and 100 in a box.

Couldn't say no to the trade deal I got on it. Had two handguns for sale that hadn't been going anywhere that I traded --- I feel like very much in my favor.

IMG20240420104908.jpg

I've never handloaded, but reading about it gave me the impression that it's something of an artistic endeavor by people who are well-informed, precise, and deliberate in their pursuit of quality. Then I hear horror stories of reloads produced by absolute idiots who are so careless, lazy, and/or ignorant that they become a danger to themselves and their community. Why would they even bother to work at being incompetent? It's got to be easier and cheaper to buy factory ammo.
I don't shoot reloads unless I personally know the reloader.

I've never handloaded, but reading about it gave me the impression that it's something of an artistic endeavor by people who are well-informed, precise, and deliberate in their pursuit of quality. Then I hear horror stories of reloads produced by absolute idiots who are so careless, lazy, and/or ignorant that they become a danger to themselves and their community. Why would they even bother to work at being incompetent? It's got to be easier and cheaper to buy factory ammo.
I don't shoot reloads unless I personally know the reloader.
IMHO it comes down to a personal choice --- I bet most reloaders work hard at the craft of it...I know I do. I don't want to speak for an entire amalgamation of people, but there's a pride in knowing that YOU are doing it right (if you're doing it correctly). The problem is that other people exist in the world and not all of them share the same standards, so by rule number one of reloading that you are your own production, QA, and user there's a conflict when it comes to something someone else made because you can't control them. They might be perfectly competent, or the same person that was driving down the road in the right lane with their right blinker on 5 seconds before jumping across the lanes in front of you to turn left in front of oncoming traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.