Why no love for the .358 Win?

For whatever reason the Browning Model 81, steel receiver, 358 Winchester has been a want. I give up on finding one in decent condition at a price that I thought reasonable. A few to several months ago, I bought that rifle in a Japanese 308 Winchester. I thought that sedated the want.

Then today, I walked into the local firearms store and there was the same rifle in 358 Winchester. It was actually in better shape than the previous 308 Winchester. This one does have a Decelerator pad added. It came with a few boxes of factory loads & hand-loads. I bought it.

Reloading dies are ordered. Brass search will be ongoing. Though, I do have 308 Winchester brass to convert if required. I am not decided upon the bullets. I am considering either the 200 or 203 grain Hammer Bullets.
@Idmay375
You are going to be one very happy Vegemite mate.
With the little 225gn Sierra game king or the 225gn Woodleigh RNSP it would be a little thumper. The 250gr speer will turn it into a bigger thumper.
Loading it to its FULL potential it is a potent little round. With proper loading it is almost the equal of the Remington factory loaded Whelen.
Pack Kelly has a good write up on getting the best out of the 358 and you can find it on Dr Google.
@Rick HOlbert is the go to man on all things 358 win. He used his in Namibia I think it was with devastating effect in a BLR.
Those that have a 358 win are reluctant to part with them, those without one want to try one.
For a little case it packs a big hit.
I know shut up but I am a 35 tragic.

Thank you.
New Hornady brass located and ordered.

Yep, agree on the stopping somewhere. This particular rifle & cartridge combination has been in the back of my mind for decades. I was not planning on the purchase. I was a little in disbelief when I saw this rifle and its condition when I walked in. It had just been put on consignment this morning. I am sure it would have been gone within a couple of days. I thought about it for about 5 minutes, and bought it.
The 350 Remington is a neat little thumper for sure. A considerable step up on the power level to the 358 Winchester. For me, this was a case of the combination, of the right rifle in the right cartridge match.

Hell, if it only sees range range use, I will probably smile every time I grab it.
@Idmay375
Please take it hunting, it a round that was born to hunt not punch paper. Once used on game it will be your go to gun.
Bob

358 win should be far more popular than it is so should the 35 whelen and the 358 norma magnum. The 35 calibers never got a fair shake this is the fault of the manufacturers who never properly supported the cartridges as well as the gun writers of the times. I don't own any and its because of the complete lack of factory support. Hopefully this will change in the future but I doubt it and that is a real shame as from what I have heard by people who actually use them the 35 calibers do everything the 30's do and better for the majority of hunting situations.

^ And that is saying something because with the right bullet selection the 30 calibers are very very good for all around use. Maybe that had something to do with lack of popularity of the 35's for what most folks were hunting the 30 calibers were doing the job for them so they didn't "need" anything else

Bob,
Factory brass, reloading dies, and Hammer Bullets 203 grain Shock Hammer are ordered.
Idmay, welcome to the 358 club. Taco Kelly has a great article on the 358 Win on his website Leverguns.com. I've found H-335 works magic with 180-200grn bullets. Target and W-748 is best with 225-250grn bullets. Granted some of Pace's loads seem way over the top but,... factory loads were held down in pressure (around 47,000lbs) because the so called gun writers/experts of the day opined the 358 had horrible recoil. BULL CHIPS!! Doesn't recoil any more than a 30-06 with same weight bullets. Pace's loads bring the 358 into the 55,000lbs range. In my rifle carefully working up these loads are safe in my rifle. No pressure signs, one finger bolt lift and extraction. I started with 225grn Barnes TSX's but due to their length they compress the powder charge a lot but still safe. I've since gone to the 225grn Swift A-Frame as it's shorter. If I use the TSX's in the future I'll go with the 200grn bullet as it has the same SD as the A-Frame. Bob is correct, I did use a 358 for my first African hunt. Worked all out of proportion to what the "experts" say it should. As for the rifle, mine is a Ruger M77R tang safety. That rifle was never cataloged and less than 1000 were made before they introduced the M77RS. When you can break both shoulders and the spine on a BIG Kudu, how much more horse power do you need. If I can help out in the future send me a PM. Enjoy that rifle.

Thank you.
New Hornady brass located and ordered.

Yep, agree on the stopping somewhere. This particular rifle & cartridge combination has been in the back of my mind for decades. I was not planning on the purchase. I was a little in disbelief when I saw this rifle and its condition when I walked in. It had just been put on consignment this morning. I am sure it would have been gone within a couple of days. I thought about it for about 5 minutes, and bought it.
The 350 Remington is a neat little thumper for sure. A considerable step up on the power level to the 358 Winchester. For me, this was a case of the combination, of the right rifle in the right cartridge match.

Hell, if it only sees range range use, I will probably smile every time I grab it.
Yes i agree but i am still looking at used gun sites all the time, not long ago a nice custom M98 FN
358 Win was for sale it was sold in about 2 days.

Idmay, welcome to the 358 club. Taco Kelly has a great article on the 358 Win on his website Leverguns.com. I've found H-335 works magic with 180-200grn bullets. Target and W-748 is best with 225-250grn bullets. Granted some of Pace's loads seem way over the top but,... factory loads were held down in pressure (around 47,000lbs) because the so called gun writers/experts of the day opined the 358 had horrible recoil. BULL CHIPS!! Doesn't recoil any more than a 30-06 with same weight bullets. Pace's loads bring the 358 into the 55,000lbs range. In my rifle carefully working up these loads are safe in my rifle. No pressure signs, one finger bolt lift and extraction. I started with 225grn Barnes TSX's but due to their length they compress the powder charge a lot but still safe. I've since gone to the 225grn Swift A-Frame as it's shorter. If I use the TSX's in the future I'll go with the 200grn bullet as it has the same SD as the A-Frame. Bob is correct, I did use a 358 for my first African hunt. Worked all out of proportion to what the "experts" say it should. As for the rifle, mine is a Ruger M77R tang safety. That rifle was never cataloged and less than 1000 were made before they introduced the M77RS. When you can break both shoulders and the spine on a BIG Kudu, how much more horse power do you need. If I can help out in the future send me a PM. Enjoy that rifle.
Thanks Rick. Will be awaiting reloading components to arrive. I have the powders that you mentioned on hand. I think, I am a member of that Lever Gun group. Though have not been there in years. But, fairly familiar with Paco and his lever work.

Yeah, I just have got my toes into the .358 world. I am still planning on a re-bore to 35 Whelen. Awaiting rifle to be returned, so I can ship it.

The 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma, and 358 STA have all held an intrigue for me. The combination of rifle and cartridge pushed me off the edge on this one. Like I needed more reloading components to add. Once this Whelen is complete, I will appreciate the other .358's through others' experiences.

358 win should be far more popular than it is so should the 35 whelen and the 358 norma magnum. The 35 calibers never got a fair shake this is the fault of the manufacturers who never properly supported the cartridges as well as the gun writers of the times. I don't own any and its because of the complete lack of factory support. Hopefully this will change in the future but I doubt it and that is a real shame as from what I have heard by people who actually use them the 35 calibers do everything the 30's do and better for the majority of hunting situations.
@Rocco490
You better get one and soon. A nice little 358win or a Whelen.
The Whelan loaded with 225s at 2,900fps or 250s at 2,700fps put a lot of hurt on game in close or way out yonder.
A 310gn at 2,400fps should apply all the hurt you need up close.
Bob

Yes i agree but i am still looking at used gun sites all the time, not long ago a nice custom M98 FN
358 Win was for sale it was sold in about 2 days.
@rdog
You should have bought it.
I was tempted but it was sold
Bob

Thanks Rick. Will be awaiting reloading components to arrive. I have the powders that you mentioned on hand. I think, I am a member of that Lever Gun group. Though have not been there in years. But, fairly familiar with Paco and his lever work.

Yeah, I just have got my toes into the .358 world. I am still planning on a re-bore to 35 Whelen. Awaiting rifle to be returned, so I can ship it.

The 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma, and 358 STA have all held an intrigue for me. The combination of rifle and cartridge pushed me off the edge on this one. Like I needed more reloading components to add. Once this Whelen is complete, I will appreciate the other .358's through others' experiences.
@Idmay375
There's plenty if info on this forum about the Whelen and loading it.
If you get stuck pm me.
Bob

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg