Why no love for the .358 Win?

Thanks Rick. Will be awaiting reloading components to arrive. I have the powders that you mentioned on hand. I think, I am a member of that Lever Gun group. Though have not been there in years. But, fairly familiar with Paco and his lever work.

Yeah, I just have got my toes into the .358 world. I am still planning on a re-bore to 35 Whelen. Awaiting rifle to be returned, so I can ship it.

The 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma, and 358 STA have all held an intrigue for me. The combination of rifle and cartridge pushed me off the edge on this one. Like I needed more reloading components to add. Once this Whelen is complete, I will appreciate the other .358's through others' experiences.
You know I really hate spell check. Should have looked closer before posting my reply as now it looks like I can't spell worth a hoot. Momma always said I wasn't the brightest bulb in the box!!

I have a 99 .358 but I don't find it as gruntling as I did my BLR.
I don't own a 99, but I do like the rifle. It was sad day when they stopped production. I definitely like the older production ones.
I damn near bought one in 358 Winchester. The same for the Winchester Model 88.

But, for whatever reason the 81 BLR & 358 Winchester was my idea of a match. Apparently that vision was formed 4 decades or so ago.

@Rocco490
You better get one and soon. A nice little 358win or a Whelen.
The Whelan loaded with 225s at 2,900fps or 250s at 2,700fps put a lot of hurt on game in close or way out yonder.
A 310gn at 2,400fps should apply all the hurt you need up close.
Bob
I think the 358 Winchester & 35 Whelen are the easy switch to turn that parent brass into heavier hitters.

My interest in these 2 cartridges began with references to them by Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith. Yeah, when they were still above ground and writing.

I don't own a 99, but I do like the rifle. It was sad day when they stopped production. I definitely like the older production ones.
I damn near bought one in 358 Winchester. The same for the Winchester Model 88.

But, for whatever reason the 81 BLR & 358 Winchester was my idea of a match. Apparently that vision was formed 4 decades or so ago.
Yes sir the 99's are fine rifles. I picked up an early model with the rotary magazine in .284 Winchester. Great rifle. Would love to come across one in 358 Win.

Im thinking Im about to find some love for the 358 Win.. Ive never owned one before.. but have thought about a short action 35 a bit in the past (was gravitating toward 350 Rem Mag).. and recently traded into a 358 Win barreled action (Savage) with another AH member.. my original plan for that action was to re-barrel in 35 Whelen (its a 110 / Long Action).. but the more I think about it.. as long as I can get the 358 Win to work in the long action (don't really see a problem making that happen).. I was only planning on shooting 200-225 gr projectiles at moderate speeds even with the Whelen... so I might as well leave it a 358 Win and see what I think..

Now I just gotta find some dies and get to work :) ... Im already sitting on a couple of hundred 225 gr .358 Accubonds, have more 308 brass than I know what to do with, and a couple of powders that my manuals seem to think are appropriate for 358 Win..

I love spring projects :)

Yes sir the 99's are fine rifles. I picked up an early model with the rotary magazine in .284 Winchester. Great rifle. Would love to come across one in 358 Win.
@Rick HOlbert
Our resident gun writer Nick Harvey built a 284 on a long action BSA and had it long throated to get the most out of it. He really loves that cartridge. Nick seems to love long throating his rifles. I think he must be related to Roy Weatherby.
Bob

Im thinking Im about to find some love for the 358 Win.. Ive never owned one before.. but have thought about a short action 35 a bit in the past (was gravitating toward 350 Rem Mag).. and recently traded into a 358 Win barreled action (Savage) with another AH member.. my original plan for that action was to re-barrel in 35 Whelen (its a 110 / Long Action).. but the more I think about it.. as long as I can get the 358 Win to work in the long action (don't really see a problem making that happen).. I was only planning on shooting 200-225 gr projectiles at moderate speeds even with the Whelen... so I might as well leave it a 358 Win and see what I think..

Now I just gotta find some dies and get to work :) ... Im already sitting on a couple of hundred 225 gr .358 Accubonds, have more 308 brass than I know what to do with, and a couple of powders that my manuals seem to think are appropriate for 358 Win..

I love spring projects :)
@mdwest
Shooting at moderate speeds is akin to having a dodge viper and driving it in first gear.
As it is on a long action get it long throated so you can seat the bullets out so you can use it to its full potential then some and go have fun. You will NOT be disappointed.
Bob

@mdwest
Shooting at moderate speeds is akin to having a dodge viper and driving it in first gear.
As it is on a long action get it long throated so you can seat the bullets out so you can use it to its full potential then some and go have fun. You will NOT be disappointed.
Bob
Shooting a 250 gr bullet@ 2400 fps is a great recipe for a dead animal with minimal bloodshottery. Get over 2700 fps, you have 30 lb of blood sausage before you start skinning.

At the local rifle range about 18 mts ago there was a fellow with 2 Sako Finwolfs a 243 & 308 & 2 Win 88s in 284 & 243, & a Savage 99 in 243. He was not at all interested in selling any. he was nick named the lever looney. have not seen him again. In the 1970s i had a Savage 99A in 250/3000, & in a fit of insanity sold it to a Army friend who as of last week still has it.

Last edited:
@Rick HOlbert
Our resident gun writer Nick Harvey built a 284 on a long action BSA and had it long throated to get the most out of it. He really loves that cartridge. Nick seems to love long throating his rifles. I think he must be related to Roy Weatherby.
Bob
Or related to actress Linda Lovelace in "Deep Throat"? LOL

Your good luck, there's a 99 on Gunbroker, current bid is $705...
Sadly can't do it. just got my money together for my May hunt and the transmission in my truck committed suicide. $4200 to get it back on the road. when it rains it pours eh?

When the universe begins to crap on you, the diarrhea keeps on going...
Well there is that. But as we used to say in the Airborne (82nd.) Tighten up your boot laces and keep on soldiering. Can't let things keep you down.

When the universe begins to crap on you, the diarrhea keeps on going...
@freefall
As Forrest Gump said life is like a box of chocolates.
Instead he should have told the world 3 things
Life is like a bed of roses, but you have to watch out for all the pricks

Life is like a public hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later it is going to get pissed off.
And finally Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have the less shit you have to eat.
Bob

@freefall
As Forrest Gump said life is like a box of chocolates.
Instead he should have told the world 3 things
Life is like a bed of roses, but you have to watch out for all the pricks

Life is like a public hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later it is going to get pissed off.
And finally Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have the less shit you have to eat.
Bob
Words of wisdom Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!