Why no 375 RUM?

I dont hunt deer with 375 RUM.....

Design of case with its Rebated Rim, Extra fat body, minimal body taper, and sharper shoulder angles are all detrimental for slick reliable feeding. Particularly in a dangerous game rifle that is not ideal. Also requires an extra long action to handle it. Poor factory rifle availability. I didn't know of anyone other than Remington offering rifles chambered in it. Stout (and sharp) recoil for a medium bore. For the level of recoil I would much prefer a 416 Remington Magnum. Poor ammo availability, not often found on the shelves anywhere, and very unlikely to have any available at a hunting camp. If your rifle doesn't shoot the remington ammo well you are mostly out of luck not many others were loading it. Competing directly with the great and long established 375 h&h didn't help it either.
This sound familiar... I know I've heard it somewhere before. Oh yeah, post #4. ;)
It’s a wonderful cartridge…BUT.

And that’s a big BUT. Lack of ammo. Lack of properly head stamped brass. Poor marketing by Big Green. Pushed to market without proper R&D on the feeding considering its intended purpose. At the time, push-feed actions were at an all-time low for the DG market. Length of the action required makes it more expensive to produce rifles. H&H is THE KING! Just a host of reasons. Tough market to break into.

Lucky the 375RUGER is doing so well, but they didn’t make the same mistakes.

375RUM is still a wonderful cartridge. Shame to see this one on the scrap heap.
@Rocco490 - Not busting your chops, quite the contrary. I'm agreeing with you. Big Green screwed this up in so many ways it's hard to keep track.

Yes clearly Big Green made some mistakes with the 375 RUM. Even without those mistakes it would never have supplanted the 375 H&H. Lucky for me, I have not had any of the problems other than Ammo availability and I lessen that impact to me by handloading some and buying the factory ammo in bulk when it is available.

Very capable lineup these RUMs were, when I purchased mine I was really interested in the .375 but went with the .300 instead. I think the majority of the marketing push was the different power levels Remington offered the ammunition in, at least it was for the .300, which I thought was a great idea for the folks out there that were not into reloading. You could have a 30.06 all the way north of a .300 Wby.Mag in one rifle.

Why not, I use a 416 Rigby on rabbits :) Luckily there are not to many rabbits where I hunt. Might be why you do not hunt deer with a 375RUM. :)
I have shot a rabbit with the 308 and a ballistic tip and the damage from that was spectacular, so the 416 should be mooar betterer……or is that mooarr splatterer….
gumpy

Very capable lineup these RUMs were, when I purchased mine I was really interested in the .375 but went with the .300 instead. I think the majority of the marketing push was the different power levels Remington offered the ammunition in, at least it was for the .300, which I thought was a great idea for the folks out there that were not into reloading. You could have a 30.06 all the way north of a .300 Wby.Mag in one rifle.
In about 2006, I passed on a barely used like new enhanced .300 RUM Remington 700 with engraved receiver and floorplate, blued/walnut, removable brake, Leupold rings, 500 once fired brass and dies for $500. I have kicked myself often for passing it up and now could kick you for reminding me of it. LOL

I have shot a rabbit with the 308 and a ballistic tip and the damage from that was spectacular, so the 416 should be mooar betterer……or is that mooarr splatterer….
gumpy
It was a bit disappointing. No splatter as the bullet would not have begun to open but it did seem to suck some of its innards out through the exit hole.

It was a bit disappointing. No splatter as the bullet would not have begun to open but it did seem to suck some of its innards out through the exit hole.
I have a strange but strong desire to shoot a squirrel with my 416 but I'm pretty sure it'll be the same way, just a small hole in him instead of being torn in half. It'll still be fun though lol

I did shoot a possum, in Tasmania ( pests there) with the 458 wind bag and 350gn hollow points.....that was exceptionally ....um....graphic.... The biggest piece left was the size of a marble
Umm.... We seem to have gone off topic.....
Doesn't matter
gumpy

A close friend of mine has a Remington 700 in 300RUM that he used very effectively for elk on several occasions. Ranges beyond 250 with ease. He also enjoyed the power level ammo and bought a bunch of it when he realized how well it worked. As a result, he's in good supply as far as that goes.

I did shoot a possum, in Tasmania ( pests there) with the 458 wind bag and 350gn hollow points.....that was exceptionally ....um....graphic.... The biggest piece left was the size of a marble
Umm.... We seem to have gone off topic.....
Doesn't matter
gumpy
Thats were I went wrong. Should have used a 325 grain hollow point, I just didn't want to have to deal with a charge from a wounded rabbit. :LOL:

Thats were I went wrong. Should have used a 325 grain hollow point, I just didn't want to have to deal with a charge from a wounded rabbit. :LOL:
Hey describe a rabbit without mentioning it's size: large ears provide amazing hearing in every direction, specialized eyes giving nigh unmatched night vision, strong forlegs and claws, huge powerful hind legs giving tremendous speed agility and ability to leap several times it's body length, oversized dagger-like front teeth and soft padded toes making it dead silent and stealthy not to mention perfect camouflage showing it to all but disappear in it's environment... Sounds like a critter I sure don't want mad at me!

It’s a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Nothing wrong with it, just no real need for it. .375 H&H fills that gap as well as anything. I suppose the same could be said about many cartridges.

It’s a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Nothing wrong with it, just no real need for it. .375 H&H fills that gap as well as anything. I suppose the same could be said about many cartridges.
Thats true. I have a 358/338RUM. Why? because I could and liked the idea. A 358 Norma Mag or 350 Rigby loaded to its potential will do the job. Just a bit more of a good thing.

Happy me:
From .375 RUM WinCZechster to .375/404 Jeffery CZ 550 Magnum ...

z001.jpg

... and bolt face/claw is still tight on the .375 RUM.Claw snug on rim, retains against gravity on bolt outside of action,
and it ejects well with bolt in action, using .375 RUM ammo.
I figure original CZ boltface for .375 H&H had enough +tolerance to work with 404 Jeffery rim.

z002.jpg
z003.jpg
z004.jpg
z005.jpg

Mag box front reinforcement with solder and steel is another good feature, as shown above in multiple views. Thanks to the Gunsmith.
So it will be easy to restore that action to its former glory, no billboard on the left side.

z000.jpg

The CZ box and a .375 WbyMag throat of latest CIP revision (about 23 years ago, not the 1945 version)
will allow the .375 RUM to be loaded to approach the +3.800" box length, like the .375/404 Jeffery did ...

z006.jpg

The Germans did a .375/404 Jeffery in the 1920s originally known as the 9.5x73mm Miller & Greiss.
It did not survive WWII.
The .375/404 Jeffery concept is now about a century old.
The .375 RUM is from much later in that century.

Last edited:
Of course the .375 RUM WinCZechster will be an easy fit in the B&C stock that accepts that
Lilja No. 6 Sporter with flutes. Save the walnut for Africa and Sunday go to meeting attire.
Synthetic for Alaska.
Lilja barrel needs to be turned into a .375 Chey-Tac Sporter on a CZ 550 Magnum action for .505 Gibbs.
MRC M1999 PH stainless action would be better if starting from scratch with a 1.35" shank diameter.
Hopefully they can be found again someday. Plus-4-inch inside box length, whoo-hoo.

z007.jpg

Brockman forend sling stud hanger adds "gravitas," about a quarter pound of it !
Not necessary, an Uncle Mike's stud will do.

z008.jpg

z009.jpg

Hey, I have another WinCzechster: A Pre-'64 M70 .30-06 action with a CZ 550 Magnum .458 WinMag take-off barrel.
Barrel was set back 1/8" and re-threaded and re-chambered.
Major diameter of the Winchester barrel threads is same as minor diameter of the CZ.
Getting the sights timed correctly with proper headspace is proper Gunsmith Work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djmviljoen

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.