Why are you here?

Well I'm here not because I've hunted Africa(would love to). Im here to see how others in different areas of the world approach shooting, reloading, and hunting. I belong to forums all over the globe. I find much value learner how, what, and why others do what they do. I must sheepishly admit I'm fairly young(early 30's) I've only hunted my home province(fished all over the world) and live vicariously through others, for the time being. I'm able to visit places and hunts people have been on past and present. Great for.learning the rich history of hunting.

On a different note some of why I am here is I've found this to be a very mature, intelligent and thought provoking forum. Much different than many others. True pleasure.

Last edited:
I originally came here to learn, and I have not been disappointed! I came here to meet like minded people, and that too has turned out better than I expected. I would go to Africa every year if I could, but instead I stay immersed in it here. I also consider many of you friends and I have not met you yet! To dialogue with so many people who's life experience blows me away is really special. I really have to get to the DSC gathering soon!

I was originally researching reviews and opinions regarding a certain .375 H&H rifle and google sent me here, among other places. Some of you should be writing professionally because those small insights and observations found here can make a trip successful for someone else. Where else will you find such a volume first hand experience in firearms, hunting, international travel, imports, exports, permits, etc.? I largely don’t comment often because I‘m too busy sponging off of the knowledge of others. This forum opened my eyes to a larger world of hunting that I thought out of my reach a few years ago.

We are all learners or we wouldn't be here. Every post has some tidbit of invaluable information for some one of us. Everyone has knowledge, experience and information to pass along and we are all willing and able to do so. Ask and you shall receive.

I joined last Fall after missing my annual African trip due to the Covid Virus which I still caught despite abiding all recommended precautions. I will be 83 my y next birthday so am running out of time for strenuous adventures I enjoy. have been a very lucky man so am not whining and enjoy reading and participating on this forum. Have made my share of mistakes and done some things right. Have been mauled, knocked down, and shot at. Would not trade a moment of it!

I joined last Fall after missing my annual African trip due to the Covid Virus which I still caught despite abiding all recommended precautions. I will be 83 my y next birthday so am running out of time for strenuous adventures I enjoy. have been a very lucky man so am not whining and enjoy reading and participating on this forum. Have made my share of mistakes and done some things right. Have been mauled, knocked down, and shot at. Would not trade a moment of it!
I for one would love to hear those stories of yours.

I am not sure what year I joined, but I have been a curious looker but not really posted that much.

I hunted Namibia in 2005, and lived in Djibouti from 2008-2010.

Hunted Germany, Australia, Spain, and throughout the USA.

I had booked my first hunt in Africa and was looking for information to help me prepare. I also used the Taxidermy forum extensively in trying to decide how I might want my African animals done. I've been a regular observer of the site since. I enjoy the hunting reports and conversations.

AH is the best hunting website for sharing hunting knowledge among similar minded people. I have met a lot of great people on AH, that I would proudly call my friend. The collective knowledge from the people that frequent this website is mind blowing. I’m not on as much anymore because my job is very demanding and draining but I’m happy that AH is around to read in my spare moments. It’s great to see all the success and growth in knowledge and experience of the members that frequent AH!

Hmmm...Thankfully, because my parents apparently had a wonderful evening on Thanksgiving 1967. The DNA of the offspring expressed a deep love for nature and hunting the globe that exceeds many. Some friends growing up were heard to say "He hunts too much!" and I just smiled....it was a compliment. Why ask why? Just do it!

Last edited:
Yes, I recall that curfew by Jerome. Perhaps they're just big fans of Dolly?

Interaction with hunters who have the same interest as I do- Africa !

I had been reading everything I could about hunting Africa since I was a teenager in the late 60’s. I was on the verge of making my dream come true when I stumbled on this site in 2011. Info gleaned from here helped me plan what at the time, I thought was to be my only safari in 2013.

I’m here because as far as I can tell there no better resource from reloading data all the way to hunting recommendations. Have loved reading this site daily and have appreciated the help the forum has given me. Leaving in May to Zim for buff/plains game hunt and read every day to stay current on developing situations and see if there is one more piece of equipment I may need prior to departure. Thanks everybody for keeping us all up to date and helping each other!

My son, at age 11, asked “why don’t we go hunting in Africa?” That was enough push to make it a priority. We went on a grandpa, dad (me) , grandson Safari in the summer of 2018. I began planning Safari #2 shortly after our return. I found this site when researching the next hunt. It is awesome to find a group of people that like to hunt as much as I do. But it is more that just hunting, it is the adventure, the outdoors, and the education of learning about new places.

In 2014, I was researching for my second safari via Google and time and again a link to AH would turn up. When I would go to it, I of course got the "pop-up" of Jerome and usually close it and just read the reports as a guest. I ended up selecting @John Sharp for a 2015 buffalo hunt in Zim, based on what I read on AH. Eventually, the Jerome "pop-ups" wore me down and I went ahead and joined. Shortly after joining, I saw an ad from @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS and booked a 2016 hunt with them for me and one of my daughters. It was so good, we went again in 2018.

I am not into social media at all. I don't do FB. The AH community is what makes AH work so well.

... inbetween I safari in my head.

This... AH allows me to escape and dream :) could become the new AH slogan :D

My reason to join: between the ages 7 till 14 I used to read monstrous amounts of books, something around 4-6 books a week, every week, the whole year (I did not have many friends ;) )Getting into contact with old hunting tales started the dream of one day hunting in Africa. But although I’m from a non-hunting family, over the last 8 years my father and brother followed me in taking the exams, going on our first hunts and looking for more adventures. As we booked a first African safari for NOV20 (which got cancelled) I decided I needed to study more on all aspects of hunting in Africa, so one google search later, here I was.

I must admit that the friendliness of the people here, their willingness to help, advise and share knowledge, is heartwarming!

I’m very thankful to the owner, moderators, and all members here!

V.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois