Why all the 6.5 Creedmoor Hate?

@CBH Australia
The 243 was only popular due to advertising bullshit trying to make us believe it was actually useful.
The same for the manbun. At least the manbun is a useful hunting round within its limitations.
Bob
Now Bob the 243 is useful,-- if you're hunting Bull Gerbils!

Man! Did I screw up.

I should have read the fashion pages before I bought my 6.5 CM.

Unfortunately I just researched the ballistics, wanted lower recoil, and excellent component availability.

Boringly accurate.

Does anyone know who has the best prices on Birkenstocks? With socks of course.

DB
Seattle is going to be your best bet for the Birkenstocks and socks. Of course, you'll have to wear them with shorts year round.

i am admitted new owner of a 6.5cm. i have hunted namibia for plains game, and have gone on several hunts in alaska for both caribou and interior griz. i tend to run heavy when i am hunting. i took a griz with my 416rm, and prefer my 338wm for caribou. i also have doubles in 9.3x74r and 450ne.

so its not about recoil issues for me lol

i picked up a 6.5cm because 1)i ran into a fantastic deal on a tikka stainless superlite at sportsmans warehouse. 2)ive gotten the itch to hunt europe for ibex, lol.

could i take my 30-06 or 338? yep. but the 6.5 is a fantastic choice for the specific hunting i plan on using it for.

anyway gentlemen, this is my rationale for adding yet another rifle to the collection. lol.

my 2 cents

We don’t like new things.
That's exactly it for me. We were discussing it at work the other day. I was thinking about the things in my safe. There's the 6.5X54, from 1903. The .30-06, from of course 1906, and the 9X19 from 1908. Then, there's the 9.5X57, from 1910, and finally there's John Moses Browning's wonderful .45ACP. Call that 1911, give or take. Someone asked me about the .300 H&H Magnum, and I had to admit, I wasn't ready for something quite so modern...

.270? Nasty, flash, gimcrack things...

i am admitted new owner of a 6.5cm. i have hunted namibia for plains game, and have gone on several hunts in alaska for both caribou and interior griz. i tend to run heavy when i am hunting. i took a griz with my 416rm, and prefer my 338wm for caribou. i also have doubles in 9.3x74r and 450ne.

i picked up a 6.5cm because 1)i ran into a fantastic deal on a tikka stainless superlite at sportsmans warehouse. 2)ive gotten the itch to hunt europe for ibex, lol.

could i take my 30-06 or 338? yep. but the 6.5 is a fantastic choice for the specific hunting i plan on using it for.

anyway gentlemen, this is my rationale for adding yet another rifle to the collection. lol.

my 2 cents
Consider a double in 6.5CR? You'd be the first on your block to have one! LOL

That's exactly it for me. We were discussing it at work the other day. I was thinking about the things in my safe. There's the 6.5X54, from 1903. The .30-06, from of course 1906, and the 9X19 from 1908. Then, there's the 9.5X57, from 1910, and finally there's John Moses Browning's wonderful .45ACP. Call that 1911, give or take. Someone asked me about the .300 H&H Magnum, and I had to admit, I wasn't ready for something quite so modern...

.270? Nasty, flash, gimcrack things...
Love it! I agree. 1925 was like 5 minutes ago! They could have stopped developing sporting arms in 1913.

Love it! I agree. 1925 was like 5 minutes ago! They could have stopped developing sporting arms in 1913.
But then Bob's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen beloved .35 Whelen would have never been born and he'd be left with a wildcatted .35 Creedmoor or .35 BNE? LOL

Having said that, I know nothing about the poor round and balistics in general, heck I am the guy who started the thread on best looking rounds because that's about the limit of my knowledge. Maybe we should start another thread on rounds with the coolest name - I'll make a plug for Holland and Holland Magnum, no caramel custard on that one.
Kp, you are the man!

Why do choose to use the 6.5 creedmoor for elk? I can see some valid reasons if you have a difficult time handling recoil, but there are more appropriate cartridges. Do you put any restrictions on your shots while hunting with this cartridge?
Actually, I include the 400 Jeff and the 375 H&H in the pile of rifles that go with me to prairie dog towns each year. When I tell family to bring everything they got, I do mean everything.

"more appropriate cartridges" - gawd I luv hearing that. It just cracks me up. I had a gun counter guy in a old timey store in a small town once tell me something like that. I simply told him he needed to get out more. He 'bout blew a gasket on that one.

Growing up on the ranch I witnessed my Aunt kill everything with her .257 Roberts. And I do mean everything; deer, elk, black bear, cougar, coyote, you get the idea.

I killed my first 400+ yard elk this season. First time ever in probably 35 years. Know what I did? I swapped my CM with my hunting buddy's PRC just because I knew the same bullet I was using was leaving the barrel of that PRC around 200 fps faster. Call it dinner insurance.

It should be a great cartridge. It does almost everything the 6.5x57, 6.5x54, and 6.5x55 have been doing for a hundred years.

Actually, I include the 400 Jeff and the 375 H&H in the pile of rifles that go with me to prairie dog towns each year. When I tell family to bring everything they got, I do mean everything.

"more appropriate cartridges" - gawd I luv hearing that. It just cracks me up. I had a gun counter guy in a old timey store in a small town once tell me something like that. I simply told him he needed to get out more. He 'bout blew a gasket on that one.

Growing up on the ranch I witnessed my Aunt kill everything with her .257 Roberts. And I do mean everything; deer, elk, black bear, cougar, coyote, you get the idea.

I killed my first 400+ yard elk this season. First time ever in probably 35 years. Know what I did? I swapped my CM with my hunting buddy's PRC just because I knew the same bullet I was using was leaving the barrel of that PRC around 200 fps faster. Call it dinner insurance.
I searched your name and found the answer I was looking for in a different post very quickly. Sounds like you choose your shots very carefully to stay inside the 6.5 creedmoor’s limitations. There are more appropriate cartridges for bulls at less than ideal angles.

“In the last 2 seasons I have used the 143 grain ELD-X to take 4 mature Elk cows.
From a 22 inch barrel the average MV is 2660 fps. This is not a bonded bullet.

I purposely wait for broadside-only shot opportunities and fire as the near side leg takes a step, avoiding as much bone as possible. Following this approach, the shots have been less than 200 yards and all have been pass-throughs. The animals have never gone further than 50 yards before dropping with the average follow-up distance being about 30 yards.”

The main problem is that the 6.5mm Creedmoor is over-hyped. It was designed as a mid-range match cartridge which can fit in medium/short actions. And sold like snake-oil. I have one Remington 700 rifle chambered for it, as well as a Tikka 595 in.260 Remington and a Sako AII in 6.5mm x 47 Lapua. of the three, my favorite is the Sako in 6.5 Lapua.

@crs
Ron Spoomer did a comparison between the 6.5 manbun and the 25-06. The 25-06 won hands down in flat trajectory and hitting power.
I know it's an apples and oranges test. He opined that if the 25 had a twist faster than 1 in ten to stabilize the new 131gn 25 cal Berger the old 25 would be superior in all aspects.
Then again any 6.5 or 25 is better than the 243 ever was or will be.
Bob

A study done years ago….. the .25 caliber killed more deer at a devastating rate than any caliber in-terms of point of impact vs. distance to recovery…… basically distance from where they where hit. That was done based on calibers ranging from 223-300WM. The good old 25-06 is/was a beast to be reckoned with at least among TX deer.

my 2 cents
I've bought guns for much worse reasons than that!

A study done years ago….. the .25 caliber killed more deer at a devastating rate than any caliber in-terms of point of impact vs. distance to recovery…… basically distance from where they where hit. That was done based on calibers ranging from 223-300WM. The good old 25-06 is/was a beast to be reckoned with at least among TX deer.
@BWH
That's why everyone should have a GOOD 25. They just plain work.
Simple
Bob

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 6.5 CR and took it to Africa on my last hunt for pg. I collected springbok and impala at ranges from 80 to 286 yds. One shot kills with Hornady 143gr ELD-X and 37.5gr of 4064. It really flattened them in their tracks. Good medicine for small and medium pg.
@Newboomer
My impala was flattened at 275 yards with one shot from the 35 Whelen using a 225gn accubond. Didn't move off the spot.
Bob

@crs
Ron Spoomer did a comparison between the 6.5 manbun and the 25-06. The 25-06 won hands down in flat trajectory and hitting power.
I know it's an apples and oranges test. He opined that if the 25 had a twist faster than 1 in ten to stabilize the new 131gn 25 cal Berger the old 25 would be superior in all aspects.
Then again any 6.5 or 25 is better than the 243 ever was or will be.
Bob
You cant say Berger and superior in the same sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.