Reaction score
Website
www.lechasseurmauricien.com
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
S.C.I
Hunted
Benin, Senegal, Burkina faso, Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Madagascar, Cameroun, Tanzania, Mozambik...
Hello,

Who use the Blaser S 2 Safari Double Rifle in 500 N.E... Not the safaris R93 but the side by side BLASER because I would like to get one but I don't know anybody who says something on this rifle?

Cheers.

Attachments

• blaser-s-2-safari-double-rifle.jpg
    blaser-s-2-safari-double-rifle.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,190
Have not used the 500 NE, I have used the 500/416. I think the Blaser S2 is the most accurate double I have ever shot, however I do not like the push to cock feature, and it decocks everytime you open it. I find the barrels chunky too. It accurate though!

Ed

hello and many thnaks for your reply and your comment...

What I am thinking about this rifle is that
- it's a very good balance rifle,
- the barrel are chunky but I think that they are not too bright (with hight sun) so its good,
- the price is very faire for a double rifle,
- the barrel is very accurate because I have shot with a 500/416 and I put the 2 bullets at 4 Cm from each other at 50 meters,
- I like also the safty, this is a very safe gun even if it's take time to use it and understand how it's work!

In 500 NE I don't know if it's that much accurate and if the balance is good because i can not try one on the last Dortmund faire (germany), After that does this rifle kick a lot ? They put a reducer inside the stock but does it work well? If some people try it please let me know...

A good friend of mine shoots one in a 470. He had the smaller recoil reducer put in( there are 2 sizes) the gun felt better than when it had the heavier one in it. The finish on the blaser the toughest in the industry. I have been a blaser fan going on 10 yrs. I have owned D99, BBF 97, 4 R93's (11 different barrels), and a K95. They have all been accurate and their customer service has improved 10 fold in the last 2 yrs here in the states.

I really like the tilt block action, and if the gun stayed cocked between reloading and shooting again, I would give one a try in a 500/416. The Kreighoff Big 5 is the gun Blaser should have built. My good friend is a Blaser dealer here in the USA, he has sold quite a few S2's. Good luck

Ed

LIO, I have an idea that you want a double rifle for use on dangerous game like lion, buffalo, and elephant. If that is the case then I would not buy a Blaser S-2!

Accuracy is very good in most double rifles if the proper load is used. Looks is not a factor in the usefulness of a double rifle but the S-2 is about the ugliest double rifle I've ever seen, but that is a personal thing.

There are a couple of things that, IMO, make the Blaser unstable for use on dangerous game. First off the so-called safety system is, in this case, anything but safe. Let me explain! The system "IS" safe as a loaded rifle can be when placed on the safe (de-cocked) position. So far this system is the same as the Krieghoff rifle, but that is as far as it goes in that comparison.

The K-Gun can be carried loaded exactly the same as the S-2, and when the switch is pushed forward the rifles both are cocked and ready to fire. That is where these two rifles part company.

Now let's do a hypothtical!

Your walk in on a cape buffalo and he charges from 25 yds! You fire the right barrel, then the left, the buff is still on his feet, and continues on to take you on. Now you break the rifle re-load one or both chambers slam the rifle closed and fire three and four on the closeing buff. If you are shooting the K-gun then that is the way it will be.

However if you were fireing the S-2 Blaser you had better not have forgetton to re-cock the action or you will not fire the rifle again, because that rifle automaticlly de-cocks the rifle when opened for any reason. That is a feature I certainly do not want on a double rifle I'm useing to stop a mad buffalo. The auto safety makes no sense at all on any rifle used to hunt dangerous game. It makes no more sense on a double rifle than it does on a bolt rifle. I don't think anyone would want an auto safety that re-set the safety every time he worked the bolt!

The K-gun, once cocked, and fired, re-cocks it's self when opened for the re-load just like all hammerless double rifles, and is ready to fire as soon as the rifle is closed. To place the rifle back on safe if the rifle is not fired again, simply push the switch (safety button) forward slightly , and release, and it is de-cocked and safe again.

The other thing on the S-2 that is a potential problem is the hooded barrel breach, making it difficult to remove a stuck case if the extractor doesn't pull it out enough so it falls from the chamber.

You may use what ever you want, as long as you are willing to live, or die for that decision! I will not reccomend the Blaser S-2 to anyone who hunts anything more dangerous that a whitetail deer.

I have had the oppertunity to fire both a 470NE and a 500NE Blaser s2. fit and finnish where very good and they are very accurate. If you practice with your rifle then the push to cock mechanisim isnt a handicap.

I have fired one in 500 and although it was accurate, I did not like the Safety and all the plastic and rubber components, Including parts of the Rib and the Stock Fore-End. That's right its not Ebony or Buff Horn BUT Plastic!

I own a Blaser S2 in 500 NE. Very accurate and was easy to find a good regulation load with Hornady DGS/DGX. Triggers are superb. Yes some rubber (strip under the rib and barrel) but my barrel rib is all steel and the forearm's black tip is wood (Ebony) , not plastic.

I have shot both the Krieghof and the Blaser in 500 NE only two shots each and the the 470 blaser around 20 shots. Also the 500/416 krieghoff 2 shots.

You can get use to the cocking system with enough practise but when in a real confrontation with a pissed animal using either the krieghoff or the blaser you will have to keep your witts about you and that includes it for any rifle.

So lets take that out of the situation and say that you are able to work that cocking system like a charm.

I still would pick the krieghoff they just feel better in my hands.

But the chances that you will be hunting alone after DG is also small and you will most likely have a ph as backup so you can make that call on your budget.

[video=youtube_share;0RvubP1CphY]http://youtu.be/0RvubP1CphY[/video]

At then end of our hunt in Mozambique had a couple of shots with the doubles the 470 NE is Krieghoff and shot 4 shots with it and the Blaser 500 NE was the double with the slings only fired 2 shots both of them the recoil was no issue the krieghoff lifted a bit more but the blaser was felt a bit more.

I have little experience with doubles but did recently have one of the Remington (Baikal) SXS guns in .45-70 to play with for a while. It too had an auto safety which I easily converted to manual and agree that on a DG gun an auto safety is not what one wants. The other thing I would insist on having in a double for DG is ejectors. I know some claim they are noisy etc which seems pretty silly to me when you are already making a lot of noise by shooting the animal, and true they add many dollars to the cost of the rifle but I think it would be worth it to not have to manually remove the empties with shaking fingers in the middle of battle with a wounded buff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg