Who is shooting their Ruger Hawkeye African .280 Ackley?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.40.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.40.06 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.40.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.40.07 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
I think the .280 AI being a straighter case than normal can cause some feeding issues. I’ve seen it on a couple of guns. Not to be a buzzkill but I had a friend that ran a gunsmith shop that did some restoration work. I told him about a Ruger No. 1 I was eyeballing that had a stock that only Bill River’s mother could love. His feedback “Don’t bother trying to refinish it, that’s as good as it’ll ever look, I’ve never been able to make anything out of factory Ruger wood.” Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Todays Ruger wood is largely straight grain, boring stuff, but early on especially in the No1 spectacular wood was common. Sadly that class of wood is largely available only to custom rifle makers as its become too expensive for anything like a factory priced rifle.
Even some straight grain can look good though. I have a No.1-S in .35 Whelen that is very attractive even though very straight. It has just enough color variation in grains streaks and is light enough to look like Circassian walnut.

I think the .280 AI being a straighter case than normal can cause some feeding issues. I’ve seen it on a couple of guns. Not to be a buzzkill but I had a friend that ran a gunsmith shop that did some restoration work. I told him about a Ruger No. 1 I was eyeballing that had a stock that only Bill River’s mother could love. His feedback “Don’t bother trying to refinish it, that’s as good as it’ll ever look, I’ve never been able to make anything out of factory Ruger wood.” Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Sorry, Bill RUGER. Autocorrect ruins most of my witty comments. Like this morning when I shut my pants.

Interestingly enough there is one listed on GB now with a buy it now price of $1350….wonder if anyone bidding in that auction bothered to look. It’s the same dealer in Florida I bought mine from and he’s had one listed almost continuously since November.

CBECK....who is the dealer on GB as id buy that in a hot second? thanks

Keep us posted.
I have read heaps on the .280ai, a few members suggested it performs well.

Mine a .26" C/F barrel seems to have increased velocity second time I chronographed it. Tweaked the neck tension as best I can tell. Maybe 100 rounds down the tube . Notes are in the shed but I recall improvement.

Chrony is new to me too.

I read a great review on Petersen .280ai Brass, right after I recieved the Nosler stuff. At $3 a piece. Aussie $

Still thinking the .280ai is a good thing.

Does anyone use Hammer Bullets?

I have tried an Australian mono named Outer Edge, from my recollection they killed stuff dead.

I am hearing a lot about Hammer Bullets on another forum.
@CBH Australia
Chris try some Atomic 29 projectiles, Australian made as Welland by all reports they work very well on everything from dingoes to Buffalo from what I've been talking to Ted about. Leves big hole in a dingo but will hold together to almost punch thru a buff.
Bob

Well it has a bid on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.