Whisky appreciation

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Not sure how many other whisky lovers there are here but I am one of them.

Do a bit of writing occasionally for a few hunting magazines and nothing is a better accompaniment to writing than a nice dram.

20180605_233235.jpeg

Not crazy about the big peat flavor. Now a couple of ounces of Macallan 18 and I am a gentle, happy soul.

Try the Caol Ila 12 years.....I am torn between that one and Lagavulin 16 years...:D Cool Drink:

Not crazy about the big peat flavor. Now a couple of ounces of Macallan 18 and I am a gentle, happy soul.
Yeah that's fair enough, I don't think peat is something you acquire a taste for either seems to be either you like it or hate it.

For what it's worth my favorite islay whisky is ardbeg 10 probably the most approachable of them too.

I am getting into Japanese whiskies right now and Akashi is one of my absolute favorites. Tastes like a great scotch.

Are we talking Scotch or a good old Canadian Rye ...... I took a bottle of Cask 16 (Crown Royal) to Namibia with me in 2011 List price 125.00 for a 26 er ...... That same bottle to day list for between 3 and 4 hundred dollars ...to be honest we were not impressed . I've since acquired a bottle of Bat Masterson's and Jack Daniels Single barrel ......just need to get the guys together for another African Adventure
Glen

DSCF6360.JPG
DSCF6363.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 235800 View attachment 235801 Are we talking Scotch or a good old Canadian Rye ...... I took a bottle of Cask 16 (Crown Royal) to Namibia with me in 2011 List price 125.00 for a 26 er ...... That same bottle to day list for between 3 and 4 hundred dollars ...to be honest we were not impressed . I've since acquired a bottle of Bat Masterson's and Jack Daniels Single barrel ......just need to get the guys together for another African Adventure
Glen
Any and all whisky! I definitely agree that expensive stuff isn't always the best.

I've bought an 18yo bottle of canadian to crack open to celebrate my first youngin (currently overdue!)

Wow.....Lagavulin16.....say no more.......the peated monster from Islay......love it.....

Any and all whisky! I definitely agree that expensive stuff isn't always the best.

I've bought an 18yo bottle of canadian to crack open to celebrate my first youngin (currently overdue!)
Congrats. on the baby .....keep us posted !
Glen

You boys need to try some Kentucky bourbon!!!
Elijah Craig
Angels envy
Woodford Reserve
Eagle rare
All reasonably priced and very good selections!:D Drunk:

Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are two of my favorite KY bourbons that are usually available. Weller and Col. EH Taylor's are better, still not very expensive, but can be quite difficult to find.

We are distilling some fine brown water in Texas these days as well, some are American whiskies, some are Bourbons.

Among my favorites..
Balcone's Baby Blue
Balcone's Brimstone (aged in smoked mesquite barrels, very smoky flavor, though nothing like peat smoke)
Rebecca Creek
Yellow Rose blend, though the rye and straight are also quite good
Texas Giant 91 - hints of walnut and caramel without being sweet
TX
Red River
Cypress Cove
and of course, Garrison Brothers

If you like hints of vanilla, then Texas Ranger is also quite tasty, and under $30 for a 750 mL.

And though definitely not a bourbon, if you guys ever see a bottle of Laird's Applejack, it's also very good, and under $20. Laird's is THE oldest distillery in the United States, they've been around since the 1760s, and was a favorite of none other than George Washington. It takes about 100# of apples to make a single bottle. If you end up not liking the flavor, it's a very good cooking brandy as well. I know, most people see "apple" anything on a liquor bottle and assume "sweet" or "chick drink." My wife is not a NEAT whisky drinker, but she'll drink Laird's, Rebecca Creek, and Texas Giant neat. They're that smooth and tasty. I only drink neat, or maybe a few drops of water.

This stuff is most ricky-tick not sweet, with a character similar to drier Bourbons.

For Scotch, Glenmorangie 10 yo is my favorite.

Headed to the Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ festival in Cary, NC on the 28th. Supposed to be at least 15 different distilleries represented there including Evan Williams/Heaven Hill, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, and more. Should be a great time!

Headed to the Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ festival in Cary, NC on the 28th. Supposed to be at least 15 different distilleries represented there including Evan Williams/Heaven Hill, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, and more. Should be a great time!
Looking forward to your report !
Glen

Scotch is only for Gentlemen and Scholars!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois