Whisky appreciation

A friend gave me a bottle this. I like it.

IMG_4393.jpeg
 
Being Irish I have to say that any good whiskey has an E between the K and the Y.
I will allow some great Kentucky bourbons that I have tasted also.
 
Any recommendations? I’m new to whisky
The best recommendation I can give is to find a local merchant/society who/which runs whisky and/or whiskey tastings. My preferred local merchant runs 8-9? tastings a year. The majority are blind tastings but there are also special tastings organized by Whisky Galore. This year we met one of Billy Walker's proteges at a special Glenallachie event and last year we net Rachel Barry. Our Glendronach fan girl was ecstatic!
Each blind tasting contains 6 named whiskys and one mystery, which may or may not be a Scottish Single Malt. All great fun and ... when the experts mess up by double- or triple-guessing, they happily laugh at themselves.

The ticket cost is typically less than the lowest price for one of the tasted expressions. You can work out what you like and avoid cluttering up your drinks cabinet with disappointing bottles.

We typically have 30-60 people on a night, dependent upon whether there are 2 sessions in the tasting room OR everyone is brought together for a single session at the nearby cricket ground. We just had a hundred people at the cricket ground for the annual Best of the Best. This time the haggis was piped in by a lady!
Have a fun education.
 
Last edited:
Because it's Veteran's Day... and because I really like this distillery and their product... and because I really enjoyed the tour...
Poppy Scotch.jpg
 
This Still Austin Cask Strength bourbon is definitely worth a try. Showed up recently in Ohio for around $60. I haven't tried their straight bourbon yet. My usual is EH Taylor Small Batch or Weller Antique now.
20250211_213947.jpg
 
This Still Austin Cask Strength bourbon is definitely worth a try. Showed up recently in Ohio for around $60. I haven't tried their straight bourbon yet. My usual is EH Taylor Small Batch or Weller Antique now. View attachment 664783
Their straight bourbon is my favorite bourbon from Texas.
 
We had a Meet the Outfitter with Phillip Bronkhorst cocktail party at Rebecca Creek Distillery a week or so ago. It’s right north of San Antonio, and we go up there every so often. One of the owners recommended this variety, and it’s pretty darn good!
IMG_1287.jpeg
 
A friend of mine brought a bottle of Crown Royal Black to our camp this weekend. I can tell you that I did not appreciate it the next day….. :ROFLMAO:
I've never been a fan of CR, but know several that are.
 
I've never been a fan of CR, but know several that are.
@BeeMaa - agree, nothing special about Crown Royal except the bottle and Blue velvet bag…. Crown Royal is to whiskey as Chivas Regal is to scotch - All Marketing
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,364
Members
169,543
Latest member
BarneyBroc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top