Which Scope

Really hard to beat Swaro glass and for your application. The Z6i 1.7-10x24 with the 4A-I (illuminated) reticle would be an excellent choice for putting the crosshairs on a dark colored animal standing in the shade of a tree. Much more difficult to see the lines without illumination.

Yes, the Leupold VX-5 & 6 series of scopes are very good, but when compared to the glass of the big three (Zeiss, Leica and Swaro)...it's not even close.

This isn't to disagree or be contentious with anyone but I really think the mag argument is too generalized. I also think some people missed your point about this being a multi-use platform. I am in the same boat as you. I want a multi-use rifle for plains game, NA big game, and really everything in-between (save smaller game because something like 7mm, 30-06, etc would just vaporize them). African DG = different animal so lets just leave that out.

I personally don't think a 3-15x is over-magged. I have limited experience but I've been playing around with my scope from 50-100 yds and I actually prefer the scope on about 4-5x for those shots. Some hunters will want it at 2-3x. Some may want it at 7-8x more towards 100 yds. There's probably even a few guys with DG scopes that will run it at 1x.

I think the real problems come into play for NA game. You'll want that extra mag for potentially longer shots which you may get here which could be 200-300 yds if your ability/training allows. I've shot around at 50 to 300 yds with the VX5HD in 3-15x44mm. 3x is fine for 50 yds. Dialing it to the higher end of the range for 300 yds is also perfect. Brand aside, I really don't see how you could go wrong with something in the 3-15x, 2-10x or something in that realm. The only thing I will say is definitely don't go bigger than 44mm. I am a pretty in shape guy. Gym 3 days a week, cardio, hiking, kettlebells, and even lugging the 44mm around is a "PITA."

Had quite a few NF and leupolds - to me the NF have a slight tint that I don’t like and they are pretty heavy - SHV included. Leupold are good but swaro are always my choice for hunting rifles - weight and quality of glass put them at the top of the list every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg