Which Scope

Really hard to beat Swaro glass and for your application. The Z6i 1.7-10x24 with the 4A-I (illuminated) reticle would be an excellent choice for putting the crosshairs on a dark colored animal standing in the shade of a tree. Much more difficult to see the lines without illumination.

Yes, the Leupold VX-5 & 6 series of scopes are very good, but when compared to the glass of the big three (Zeiss, Leica and Swaro)...it's not even close.
 
This isn't to disagree or be contentious with anyone but I really think the mag argument is too generalized. I also think some people missed your point about this being a multi-use platform. I am in the same boat as you. I want a multi-use rifle for plains game, NA big game, and really everything in-between (save smaller game because something like 7mm, 30-06, etc would just vaporize them). African DG = different animal so lets just leave that out.

I personally don't think a 3-15x is over-magged. I have limited experience but I've been playing around with my scope from 50-100 yds and I actually prefer the scope on about 4-5x for those shots. Some hunters will want it at 2-3x. Some may want it at 7-8x more towards 100 yds. There's probably even a few guys with DG scopes that will run it at 1x.

I think the real problems come into play for NA game. You'll want that extra mag for potentially longer shots which you may get here which could be 200-300 yds if your ability/training allows. I've shot around at 50 to 300 yds with the VX5HD in 3-15x44mm. 3x is fine for 50 yds. Dialing it to the higher end of the range for 300 yds is also perfect. Brand aside, I really don't see how you could go wrong with something in the 3-15x, 2-10x or something in that realm. The only thing I will say is definitely don't go bigger than 44mm. I am a pretty in shape guy. Gym 3 days a week, cardio, hiking, kettlebells, and even lugging the 44mm around is a "PITA."
 
Had quite a few NF and leupolds - to me the NF have a slight tint that I don’t like and they are pretty heavy - SHV included. Leupold are good but swaro are always my choice for hunting rifles - weight and quality of glass put them at the top of the list every time.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,050
Members
170,214
Latest member
EdwinaMayg
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top