Which provinces in South Africa can you hunt Elephant?

DieJager

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Netherlands, Portugal, USA [FL], South Africa [NW]
Just out of curiosity, I have read that in 7 of the 9 provinces of South Africa there are wild elephants.

In which of those provinces can they be hunted besides Limpopo and Mpumalanga?

I would be interested in which provinces and if possible the territory and outfitter. Some times I have something in my head and I need to know:giggle:

Tried to Google it but to no avail

Outfitter is not necessary, just out of curiosity. Somebody out there who knows in which provinces elephant can be hunted?

I don’t know the answer, but curious why you want to look into South Africa for elephant instead of Zimbabwe?

Just out of curiosity, I have read that in 7 of the 9 provinces of South Africa there are wild elephants.

In which of those provinces can they be hunted besides Limpopo and Mpumalanga?

I would be interested in which provinces and if possible the territory and outfitter. Some times I have something in my head and I need to know:giggle:

Tried to Google it but to no avail
I have zero doubt that Google provided nothing.

Elephant hunting is done in large part in the APNR.
Otherwise, whatever you were reading is a few hundred years out of date.

I don’t know the answer, but curious why you want to look into South Africa for elephant instead of Zimbabwe?
I am just curious where they hunt them in South Africa. Which territories et cetera. My plans of hunting elephant are still years away and South Africa is not on the list for now. But I could not find besides the provinces I mentioned where they also hunt them.

You can hunt South Africa for elephant, the park Kruger, sells permits to the outfitters/ph. The park is overloaded, it can sustain a herd of 8500, but there are 22500 living there. They need to be hunted. The permits for a tusked animal depends on the weight of the tusks. I have been there and seen them. The hunt is carried on in an area they close off so the "sensitivity" of killing elephants is shielded from the public. I have hunted dangerous game and plains game with Hercules Safaris in 2019 and 2021. They are top notch, and he can arrange the hunt for you. Good luck, have fun. Exciting stuff. If you want your trophy mounted, there are services that can reproduce your ivory in wood, so the elephant would look like it did prior to your hunt.

Wild elephants in 7 of the 9 provinces?
No.

Firstly, a somewhat philosophical question? Define "wild"?

Do you mean not fenced? Then there is no such thing as an unfenced elephant in South Africa. Everything is fenced, including Kruger National Park.

You have to help my with this one.. :giggle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Private_Nature_Reserves basically the private reserves bordering the Kruger National Park that have opened their fences to the Kruger.

Since SanParks (the government parks body) ceased culling elephants in the Kruger in the 90s (due to short sightedly bowing to some international pressure threatening funding) the population of elephants in the Kruger NP has got out of control and they are seriously affecting the environment. I was last in the Kruger four years ago and our guide was lamenting the drastic loss of trees.

One assumes, partly because of this the NP is probably glad to have some control going on 'off it's land.' From what I gather there are licences for only a few bulls and the biggest ivory bulls are not on quota. All of these reserves also need income from photographic safaris so sadly are very discreet about the hunting element for fear of deterring photographic safari guests.

One reserve that is more transparent is Timbavati - see https://www.conservationfrontlines....nancing-the-timbavati-private-nature-reserve/

Wild elephants in 7 of the 9 provinces?
No.

Firstly, a somewhat philosophical question? Define "wild"?

Do you mean not fenced? Then there is no such thing as an unfenced elephant in South Africa. Everything is fenced, including Kruger National Park.
Just copied what Google said. Probably wild as in not in zoo or circus
Therefore my question

THE TREE HUGERS NEED TO PROTECT THE TREES, LEFTIES ARE AS DESTRUCTIVE TO THE WILDLIFE AS POACHERS! POOR MANAGEMENT OF WORLD WILDLIFE HAS BEEN DEVASTATING AND THEIR $19.95 ON THEIR CREDIT CARD EVERY MONTH DOESN'T GO TO PROTECT WILDLIFE IT GOES TO LOBBING TO STOP HUNTING!

Check the map of elephant distribution on IUCN web site.

I am not sure is it updated at all, but it is the official source I can find.
1628093585512.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.26.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.26.59 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.00 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.02 AM.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.05 AM.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.27.07 AM.png
    437.8 KB · Views: 112
THE TREE HUGERS NEED TO PROTECT THE TREES, LEFTIES ARE AS DESTRUCTIVE TO THE WILDLIFE AS POACHERS! POOR MANAGEMENT OF WORLD WILDLIFE HAS BEEN DEVASTATING AND THEIR $19.95 ON THEIR CREDIT CARD EVERY MONTH DOESN'T GO TO PROTECT WILDLIFE IT GOES TO LOBBING TO STOP HUNTING!
Off your meds today...

I am not sure is it updated at all, but it is the official source I can find.
Thanks. Seems only a few provinces still have elephants roaming.

Thanks. Seems only a few provinces still have elephants roaming.
This is typical for many countries of elephant range.
Same is for Zim, Namibia, and we see now in South Africa as well

It has nothing to do with politics and left - right orientation.
In all communist countries of eastern europe, during cold war, hunting was allowed.
In eastern germany even during soviet occupation, they allowed production of hunting guns - while in west germany all production of guns was banned.
In USA practically all states allow hunting. But not all states are republican.

Antihunting movement:
It may have something with culture and religion. (non hunting cultures) For example India, sri lanka - when they integrate this religous tradition in their national laws supported by majority.

BTW, why do you shout? (block letters means shouting)

Limpopo
Mpumalanga
KZN

You can hunt elephant

Limpopo
Mpumalanga
KZN

You can hunt elephant
I just knew you would deliver. Had a gut feeling. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevkala

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double