Which is the signature animal for each Hunting country?

Americans gotta be the white tail deer . Mostly because I don't see the attraction with elk lol

I can understand why people in the east U.S. would say White Tail but in the West it would be Mule Deer or its sub species Black Tail. The only White Tail in the West, that I know of, would be the Coues Deer, which is highly prized.

If you haven't experienced Elk hunting, all I can say is you just don't know what you don't know. Elk are a very majestic, tough and powerful Cervid. Also its meat is mouth watering delicious.

I can understand why people in the east U.S. would say White Tail but in the West it would be Mule Deer or its sub species Black Tail. The only White Tail in the West, that I know of, would be the Coues Deer, which is highly prized.

If you haven't experienced Elk hunting, all I can say is you just don't know what you don't know. Elk are a very majestic, tough and powerful Cervid. Also its meat is mouth watering delicious.
Oh, we have LOTS of whitetail deer here in Colorado! Mule deer are much more plentiful, but plenty of whitetail too.

USA: Groundhogs in the east, prairie dogs and ground squirrels in the west. :cool:
Black or white tailed prairie dogs? Wyoming, Thirteen-lined or Richardson’s ground squirrels? I think a groundhog is a groundhog? For this thread, pick ONE!

My vote for RSA would be their national animal-the Springbok followed closely by the vaal rhebok. Somehow I screwed up and didn't kill a springbok when I was there and need to rectify that mistake. Want to do a special trip for vaalies and some other specialties someday. . .
In the states I would agree with the whitetail but really you have to break them up by state. For example North Carolina produces monster black bears which I would go there to hunt but would have no interest in their dog sized whitetail. Wyoming is the holy land for hunting pronghorn antelope but don't overlook it for any big game animal. Since I'm a Utah guy I would say we are a mule deer state even though elk are my favorite of all animals to hunt. Just started bowhunt yesterday, came home for Sunday then back to elk in the morning!
One last thought-RSA has beautiful paper and metal currency wonderfully decorated with game animals!

Canada should be moose or black bear but I'm hardly qualified lol
Moose is one that pretty well every province has some of.

Ethiopia: Mountain Nyala (not found anywhere else)

Cameroon: bongo or Lord Derby eland. If I had to pick one, it would be the LDE. Bongo hunts are tough, but bongo can be hunted elsewhere and success rates are near 100%, while LDE hunts are equally tough (though in a different way), the animal can't realistically be hunted anywhere else, and success isn't guaranteed.

Aren't they eradicating the Tahr in NZ for not being a native species?

Is any animal native to NZ? Red Deer and Elk were imported too.

Aren't they eradicating the Tahr in NZ for not being a native species?
I've heard as much, but I've also heard the locals are fighting it. Himalayan Tahr are native to the Himalayas and were imported to New Zealand. When it comes to hunting Tahr New Zealand is where most go.

Is any animal native to NZ? Red Deer and Elk were imported too.

Yeah, but they are not after the others.

Someone else suggested Whitetail deer for Canada, especially Saskatchewan. I'm from Saskatchewan, and I vote moose. They are much more widespread than whitetails, and are hunted in every province and territory, from the USA border to the arctic, and from coast to coast to coast. With the small exception of Prince Edward Island. I know a lot of deer hunters who say they "only" hunted whitetails last season, but everyone wants to hunt moose.

Just to give an idea to the foreign based hunters, this is just one state's quota for antlerless deer. There are close to 400,000 antlered deer killed in addition to the antlerless quota. One has to remember, this is just for one state, albeit one of the most popular for white tail deer hunting. I hunt 5C and 5D plus my home state of Delaware and kill five to eight a season.

The link shows how many antlerless licenses sold and unsold.

For further perspective, in Georgia, each basic hunting license allows for 12 deer per season (2 antlered).

I am hardly qualified to choose for Zimbabwe, but it has overlaps with all of the countries around us. Being blessed with Kariba and the Zambezi i would say hippo and croc are big here. We have buff, but Mozambique probably has more. Elephant, yes, but others have those too. What about impala? Hmmmm, I think it's down to croc. What think the 'real' Zim hunters?
When I think of Zimbabwe I think of elephant. Yes, there are other countries that offer elephant hunting, but do any have the amount of opportunity Zim does and especially at price points that are in reach for many traveling sportsmen? Trophy and non-trophy bull, ration cow, tuskless... pretty hard to beat Zim, although there probably are other destinations that may offer better odds for a large trophy bull.

The only White Tail in the West, that I know of, would be the Coues Deer, which is highly prized.
Plenty of whitetail in Idaho and Montana as well as eastern Washington and Oregon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross