Which is the best game meat?

Here in Shetland my my favourite meat out of what I shoot is teal and snipe, not very big but very tasty. Out of the meat I had when I was in Africa zebra and oryx was my favourite.

Snipe poppers, delicious.

Screenshot_20200807-103241_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200807-103301_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Shetland my my favourite meat out of what I shoot is teal and snipe, not very big but very tasty. Out of the meat I had when I was in Africa zebra and oryx was my favourite.

Snipe poppers, delicious.

View attachment 361503

View attachment 361504
I love the taste of gamebird. When in London I book a special meal treat at the Rabbit, the always have the bird in season, but I have struck out on snipe so far.

I have only been to Africa twice, but I have yet to have a bad meal. I know it has a lot to do with the preparation but I have enjoyed it all. My favorite has been Kudu and Zebra, but Gemsbok and Springbok were both outstanding as well. I have yet to try Eland and can't wait for my Namibia trip to have that chance. I have read many places it is top of the list.

There is a safari style restaurant in Bryanston Johannesburg called Wombles, it is outstanding. My favourite there is impala shank, the meat just falls off the bone. With their side of garlic mash it is truly memorable, and of course a nice merlot to finish it off.

I love the taste of gamebird. When in London I book a special meal treat at the Rabbit, the always have the bird in season, but I have struck out on snipe so far.

Out of all the shooting I do, very little beats a walk with the gun and hound after snipe. IMO snipe has it all, beautiful bird to look at at, VERY sporting target to shoot and delicious to eat.

Best imho is eland. Local butchery sometimes has some in the freezer. Second prize for me is kudu and wildebeest. I have had gemsbok- very similar. I find smaller game has a stronger less palatable flavor- impala is about as strong as I enjoy. Duiker is too strong for me. For some reason, whenever I take teenage boys on a camp, they simply have to cook up the testicles of impala. I have had buffalo testes-not impressed !

For those who have hunted RSA, have you taken the time to visit one of their wineries? I have been drinking more pinotage as of late.

So we have turduckens and other such culinary abominations. Your picture made me think we should cook a python right after it has eaten something big.
That’s deals with the snake I guess.
I’m not I want eat a snake or a cat.
I tried different meats in Africa they’ve were all antelopes I think . They were all classed as Venison and that probably sits well with less adventurous eaters.

I have never eaten African game. That said Caribou from the NWT diced and made into a sandwich (Inuit recipe) has been my favorite game meat, to date. Am I the only one that thinks southern whitetail venison is just not that good (steak form)?

I have had North Carolina and Tennessee deer.

First off deer is not beef or pork or chicken.

I'll say this about southern (US) venison: It is all in what the deer have been dieting on.....Then it comes down to who and how...cooking and seasoning, marinating, and wood and/or charcoal when grilling or BBQing the meat.

Very import lesson learned (the hard way).....never ever under any circumstances use drift wood for a cook fire!

Sadly to say, I have cooked my share of...not so very tasty deer and goose, (mainly trying different recipes, and over cooking and cooking goose to quickly).

Then again I have cooked more than a fair share of the best deer and goose to rival the great chefs.

To put a perspective on your question:

Grain fed deer as grain fed beef is better than grass fed beef and acorn, grass fed deer.

Meat its whats for supper! ....breakfast, lunch, between meal snacks.

Last edited:
This Christmas we had smoked duck breast as a starter, with a dressing of rosella jelly. On the dry run i cut a chunk and almost struck it off the menu, it was tough and a bit overpowering. Enter the ultra sharp electric carver and the slithers were literally just a millimeter thin. What a transformation! Like procuitto ham, it has to be paper thin. I would cut all game joints this way now.

On our recent hunt where I was lucky enough to bag a sable bull, we prepared some ribs, lots of crusty salt, straight over the hot coals. It was as tough as heck, but everyone fell silent as they gnawed at those bones - delicious!
One of our group, Garth, proved to be a master bread maker delighting us with loaves cooked nightly in a cast iron pot. The tops for me was the olive, dried tomato and garlic, dip that in the impala potjie and prepare to get blown away.
2288C10A-0AA9-4638-9E07-3FC043ADBBA8.jpeg

Aoudad sheep what do people think of it. I ate one a few years. Mild flavored meat but a little tough.

Aoudad sheep what do people think of it. I ate one a few years. Mild flavored meat but a little tough.
I found the same thing. But it was much better than I had anticipated.

I pressure canned a lot of it that made it tender.

It turned out ok?

Pressure canning made it fall apart. It was good made a great stew. I've done this with a few old buck deer that I shot after rut.

Got to grips with the rug strap of that sable today, slow roasted in an apricot sauce. It was tough, but thin sliced was really good, not unlike topside. Not at all gamey either. Accompanied by home grown veggies, it was a winner.
ADEDCA3D-691B-471A-B2A1-490643C08A6E.jpeg

Best imho is eland. Local butchery sometimes has some in the freezer. Second prize for me is kudu and wildebeest. I have had gemsbok- very similar. I find smaller game has a stronger less palatable flavor- impala is about as strong as I enjoy. Duiker is too strong for me. For some reason, whenever I take teenage boys on a camp, they simply have to cook up the testicles of impala. I have had buffalo testes-not impressed !

You tried slicing thin and frying in garlic butter...?....not had buff ones like that but works well with eland ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,