Which Elephant Rifle and cartridge?

I am not sure where I first got the idea, but as long as I can remember, I have always held a sort of romanticism around the Lott but not the 458 win.

So if a top end gun maker told you they would make you a single free DG rifle (bolt or double) in any cartridge... You would have it made in 458 WM?
Not only would I but I did!, I did in anticipation of my upcoming Zim hunt… Here it is!

@Hunter-Habib,

Thank you for that insight. I really appreciate this.
Sounds like a different reality for different folks in the real- world.
Some shooters are good and some not.
The variance from hunter to hunter, recoil, versus shot placement is very interesting.

When moving up from a .458 Win Mag to .500 Jefferey, there is a limit in accuracy and recoil control as a rifleman.
Can't imagine a 600 Nitro Express.
It's more of a stiff shove, then a kock in the teeth.

I have a completely irrational dislike for the .470 NE based solely on the view that NE cartridges look better when straight walled. Give me a .450, .475, or .577 any day.
Such a mean thing to say…..

I’ll be using my .470ne with woodleigh Hydros this July for my first trip to Africa and tuskless - god willing.
IMG_3174.jpeg

Well you shoot better than I do.

Was it regulated for woodleigh from the factory?

No it’s a Sabatti that Ken Owen regulated, load development, triggers & recoil reducer.

It shoots Woodleigh SP, FMJ, Hydros as well as Hornady SP & FMJ all to the same point of aim with Ken’s load as well as factory Hornady loads.

Got my new to me Winchester M70 458 Win Mag out for a few shots this am. I was pleasantly surprised by how I was able to shoot it. Shot it off of a BogPod death grip tripod. Very steady and allows me to roll with recoil. The rifle did come with a muzzle break which I will not hunt with but I’m sure helped with the recoil today. I’ll get a thread protector for hunting.

I felt that the recoil with the break was comparable to my 404Jeffery. This rifle is about a pound lighter. I do believe she will be staying a 458 Win Mag and will hopefully take buffalo and other African game at some point, possibly even my elephant next year. Now to decide on which ammo for hunting. Seems to be some good options available.

These were the 4 from 50 yards.
IMG_7317.jpeg

IMG_7318.jpeg

Got my new to me Winchester M70 458 Win Mag out for a few shots this am. I was pleasantly surprised by how I was able to shoot it. Shot it off of a BogPod death grip tripod. Very steady and allows me to roll with recoil. The rifle did come with a muzzle break which I will not hunt with but I’m sure helped with the recoil today. I’ll get a thread protector for hunting.

I felt that the recoil with the break was comparable to my 404Jeffery. This rifle is about a pound lighter. I do believe she will be staying a 458 Win Mag and will hopefully take buffalo and other African game at some point, possibly even my elephant next year. Now to decide on which ammo for hunting. Seems to be some good options available.

These were the 4 from 50 yards.View attachment 603768
View attachment 603767
very nicely done! She is ready to go!!!

These were the 4 from 50 yards.View attachment 603768
View attachment 603767
She's a steal ! 450Gr Barnes TSX factory loads gets my vote for everything except elephant and the great cats.

@Hunter-Habib,

I actually sorta bought this rifle on accident. I made a bid on the rifle on GB but figured it would sell for quite a bit more that I bid. I actually forgot about it until I got the email that I won it.

It was built in the New Haven Custom Shop in 1999. Winchester never offered LH 458s and 416s that I am aware of unless they came from the custom shop. After this morning’s range session I am pleased with how this all turned out.

Fatback... Is your 458 built on a Standard action or Long action??

@zephyr it is appears to be a standard action long action not a magnum action The same as a 30-06 etc…

Sadly Winchester's new Safari Express series 375H&H 416Rem 458win mag all use the same long action giving the 458 the short straw or in this case the long action... The upside is that the new 458 win is easily changed to a 458 Lott

Got my new to me Winchester M70 458 Win Mag out for a few shots this am. I was pleasantly surprised by how I was able to shoot it
The rifle did come with a muzzle break
@Hunter-Habib,

I actually sorta bought this rifle on accident. I made a bid on the rifle on GB but figured it would sell for quite a bit more that I bid. I actually forgot about it until I got the email that I won it.

It was built in the New Haven Custom Shop in 1999. Winchester never offered LH 458s and 416s that I am aware of unless they came from the custom shop. After this morning’s range session I am pleased with how this all turned out.
@Fatback ...... I apologize for being a little curious about this left hand 458 Winchester of yours, you see, my late hunting partner/friend from Dayton Ohio had a rifle EXACTLY like the one you are showing. Same muzzle brake, sights, everything. He and I bought two guns at Winchester Custom Shop at Safari Club show in 2000. He bought the gun exactly like yours, and I bought a beautiful Wood/Blue 458 Lott, both Custom Shop guns. Later I also became friends with Leslie from the Custom shop and bought a lot of Custom Shop Winchesters over the next few years. My Pal used his gun for many years, taking lion, elephant and buffalo, and later several buffalo in 2009 in Australia. Later I had a couple of left hand B&M rifles built for him, and I think he retired it. He passed away early November 2019. I really can't remember if he sold the gun before passing, or if his kids sold the gun after?

Of course, Winchester may have made more than one, but I am curious if whoever you purchased from might have been in Ohio? Or, it maybe you had any prior history on the gun?

Thank you in advance for taking time to reply........ I have to say that seeing your gun brings back some memories, whether it might be possible it was his gun or not..............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martlee

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?