Which CZ550?

Buy all three and then find that CZ550 in 416 Rigby. You can never have enough guns.
Yes, a complete set, that's what he needs, well it would be nice to have at least.

@One Day... I've heard the pool,poo stories about Ole' Clumpy, sold a .458 to fund a .375H&H maybe 12 months before learning production had been ceased.

Some still like the .458, bought mine new had all the components I done ok on the deals I done but with I'd have just stretched to budget and held onto the .458 as well.

If I buy enough guns I won't afford the hunts to use them. Probably plenty of us still in that vicious cycle of work vs money vs time.

I'm only 50 so I might have time when the other 2 are second place to living.

I went back on my lunch today and I was too late the .375 and the .458 both went Saturday after I was in there and someone put the 9.3x62 on layaway this morning... I'm on a mission now. After handling the cz550 safari magnum, I have to have one!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 6.38.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 6.38.45 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 6.38.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 6.38.49 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
on my first trip to hunt africa in 2013 i used a friends cz-550 in 375 h&h and in the next five hunting trips to africa i used the same rifle and i never lost a animal in taking over 60 species, i fell in love with it and i bought one and have never fired it, i also picked up a .22-250 varmit and a 6.5x55. all three are american stocked.

DSCN0022 (2).JPG
DSCN2040.JPG
DSCN9687 (4).JPG
DSCN9705 (3).JPG
DSCN9030 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
on my first trip to hunt africa in 2013 i used a friends cz-550 in 375 h&h and in the next five hunting trips to africa i used the same rifle and i never lost a animal in taking over 60 species, i fell in love with it and i bought one and have never fired it, i also picked up a .22-250 varmit and a 6.5x55. all three are american stocked.
Beautiful rifle and beautiful trophies!

Already been sold they just haven't taken it off line yet, but there's a couple more out there I'm looking at too. That was a great price on that one too!
They are out there... If you are able to find one with an AHR (American Hunting Rifles) upgrade #2 or #3...take it. Don't be shocked by the price, just buy it. You will have yourself a DG ready rifle out of the box.

Here's the one I had. CZ550 375H&H with a #2 upgrade and a few extras...
1668460255946.png

I sold it to another member here who's using it as a client rifle.

Impulse buys are good if the price is right but if you hunt for one it will come up sometime.

Narrow down the cartridge preferences and be patient.

Good luck.

They are out there... If you are able to find one with an AHR (American Hunting Rifles) upgrade #2 or #3...take it. Don't be shocked by the price, just buy it. You will have yourself a DG ready rifle out of the box.

Here's the one I had. CZ550 375H&H with a #2 upgrade and a few extras...
View attachment 500354

I sold it to another member here who's using it as a client rifle.
I think those are about as good as it gets for a using CZ coming with a few mods. I replaced the factory synthetic with a Bell & Carlson to my LOP. Mine was sent to AHR prior to me owning it. It is minus the barrel band sling stud. It does have the trigger, safety, bolt handle work, 22" barrel, coating, and sights. It set on a rack for months, until I was offered a price that I could not refuse.
I have not shot it since changing the stock. I have been playing around with a MRC stainless/synthetic 458 Lott. The CZ is on the list for some hand load work. I do like the rifle.

A3E7CEA1-8A99-42EF-B316-01C8D20E8AFC.jpeg
03B77D93-BBE3-4FB3-A092-5B26F1B0B8AD.jpeg

I think those are about as good as it gets for a using CZ coming with a few mods. I replaced the factory synthetic with a Bell & Carlson to my LOP. Mine was sent to AHR prior to me owning it. It is minus the barrel band sling stud. It does have the trigger, safety, bolt handle work, 22" barrel, coating, and sights. It set on a rack for months, until I was offered a price that I could not refuse.
I have not shot it since changing the stock. I have been playing around with a MRC stainless/synthetic 458 Lott. The CZ is on the list for some hand load work. I do like the rifle.

View attachment 500495View attachment 500496
Nice. Wish I were man enough for such a caliber.

View attachment 500495View attachment 500496
That is a sweet looking rifle. I have been looking at one just about by exactly like it on a online auction! I have not bid yet, but I really like it. It is about a perfect build for anything big around the world! The only thing holding me up from bidding on it is that I'm not sure I need a .458 Lott. The caliber really intrigues me, but besides bear and possibly a buffalo on a trip Africa I'm planning for in a few years to celebrate when my son graduates college those would be the biggest game I would hunt. How versital of a caliber is it?

The 375 is the most useful but as others say, you can probably resell them all for more than you are paying. The 458 begs to be reamed to a lott as it has a long magazine and action- i have one- quick and easy job for your smith and you can use win mag and lott ammo.

The Lott is not really versatile but @Badboymelvin uses his win mag for all sorts of plainsgame so you can do it.

That is a sweet looking rifle. I have been looking at one just about by exactly like it on a online auction! I have not bid yet, but I really like it. It is about a perfect build for anything big around the world! The only thing holding me up from bidding on it is that I'm not sure I need a .458 Lott. The caliber really intrigues me, but besides bear and possibly a buffalo on a trip Africa I'm planning for in a few years to celebrate when my son graduates college those would be the biggest game I would hunt. How versital of a caliber is it?
I guess by conventional needs-thought, I don't need it either. But, the 458 Lott & Winchester are in my opinion mighty flexible to 200 yards / meters in North America -- if you like the .458 diameter. Hand loading the 400 grain and below weight bullets certainly give them new areas of operation and performance for me. Some of these bullets will surpass conventional heavy / normal weight bullets in penetration performance. Which I am not going to take part in a pissin contest about.

With the great help of @michael458, I have been loading a few of these. The Hammer Bullets 404 grain Shock Hammer has a bc of over .400. I have been using a stainless MRC 458 Lott for my loading trails. This bullet seems to be very accurate in this rifle. This rifle has close to / if not the current SAAMI 458 Lott chamber. My CZ has considerably longer throat since it began as a 458 Winchester. But, 2500 fps in my MRC is an easy velocity. As it would be in the CZ with a slight powder increase and probably lower psi than the MRC. This bullet will fits in fine for my longest moose shooting distances. Also, Not by me, but it has performed very well at least one Cape buffalo.

I have also been playing with the North Fork 350 grain Expanding Cup Point Solid and the Lehigh 380 grain copper flat point solid. Next on the list is the brass 325 & 400 grain CEB #13 Safari solids. The 400 grain Swift A-Frame and 350 grain TSX would certainly handle anything thing in North America. And there are several more lighter weight non-conventional bullets. I think the 458's have lots of versatility.

I also hunt with a 416 regularly, as well as a 375. So, I cannot say needed. But, I think the 458's are certainly versatile to my limit of 230 yards.

.366, .375, and even .416 cannot do the things or perform the magic of a .458.........

But....... the 458 can do everything the lesser calibers can do, and then some..........

And, this is not mere speculation....... I have seen it in the field time after time and time again.......

there is a reason I am Michael458

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefwava

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.