Which countries offer the most affordable Sheep/goat hunts?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I've been looking into both guided sheep and goat hunts here in Canada and they are far pricier than your typical deer or bear hunt.

Which international destinations offer a better value for hunting a sheep or goat species without having to spend $100,000 CDN?

Preferences in Europe or Oceania.

If you would consider far west Texas, you can hunt Barbary Seep (a.k.a Aoudad) for remarkably low cost. It’s a real sheep hunt. Steep, scenic country and a unique trophy. They were transplanted decades ago. Now they range freely.

I've been looking into both guided sheep and goat hunts here in Canada and they are far pricier than your typical deer or bear hunt.

Which international destinations offer a better value for hunting a sheep or goat species without having to spend $100,000 CDN?

Preferences in Europe or Oceania.

Thar and chamois in NZ would offer the best bang for buck.

Oddly, looking into an Oryx hunt in NM is what ended up pushing me to Africa. The Oryx tag, which is a draw, plus the drive and lodging, plus the uncertainty being in a new place chasing a new animal on my own, I figured it was cheaper or equivalent to go to Africa and I'd get to chase several things.

Don't mean to derail the sheep focus, sorry.

Surprisingly Ibex in Spain are very well priced for a representative trophy, especially beceite or gredos ibex. I took advantage of final tag of season on my gredos ibex for $8500 all in December 2019.
This is what I'm looking for. Ideally a European destination in a mountainous area.

This is what I'm looking for. Ideally a European destination in a mountainous area.

Would Carpathian chamois be of interest? A number of us hunted red stag with Marius in Romania last fall. It was outstanding. His pricing on chamois has me thinking seriously about it.

As a non resident it is almost impossible to draw this tag. I am putting in for sheep draws in 7 states for 15 years...no tags yet and mostly likely not one in my future.

Mouflon or Ibex in Spain. Chamois almost anywhere in Europe. Those are your best bets.

Central Asia for Ibex, there is 5 species you can hunt (technically I think there are 2 more now).

Tahr in New Zealand.

You can probably do a Dall in Alaska or Yukon for under 40k USD.

If you are super hard-core Blue Sheep in Nepal or Pakistan.

Good luck, mountains get in your blood.

As a non resident it is almost impossible to draw this tag. I am putting in for sheep draws in 7 states for 15 years...no tags yet and mostly likely not one in my future.

Mouflon or Ibex in Spain. Chamois almost anywhere in Europe. Those are your best bets.

Central Asia for Ibex, there is 5 species you can hunt (technically I think there are 2 more now).

Tahr in New Zealand.

You can probably do a Dall in Alaska or Yukon for under 40k USD.

If you are super hard-core Blue Sheep in Nepal or Pakistan.

Good luck, mountains get in your blood.
I drew the Non-Res Stallion Range tag this year. Have been applying since 2010. You’re obviously aware, you can’t win if you don’t play.

Like you I’ve been applying for sheep tags in all the western states for about the same length of time and longer in a couple like WY and UT. Wyoming has me really pissed off since there’s no random draw tags, so the only way to draw is with max points and there’s no way to catch up even at 35 and having started at 18. Makes no sense to keep buying points when there’s more max point holders than tags.

I’ll probably bite off on a Dall Hunt in the next 5 years since a NA Sheep is my #1 bucket list hunt. If Desert prices keep coming down in Mexico I might do that instead and keep trying to draw a really good Alaska Dall Tag.

I really enjoyed Croatia for mouflon. I'll be hunting Spain in December for two of the ibex.
20220919_172328.jpg

Wyoming has me really pissed off since there’s no random draw tags, so the only way to draw is with max points and there’s no way to catch up even at 35 and having started at 18. Makes no sense to keep buying points when there’s more max point holders than tags.

Don't even get me started on that. It is crazy that they count the super raffle into the NR tag allocation. I think they should have made an announcement that there would be no NR random tags, but instead 1000 some people applied with no tag even available.

Don't even get me started on that. It is crazy that they count the super raffle into the NR tag allocation. I think they should have made an announcement that there would be no NR random tags, but instead 1000 some people applied with no tag even available.
It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years. I’m curious to know how many people in the top end of the middle like you and I get out.

It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years. I’m curious to know how many people in the top end of the middle like you and I get out.

Its a great question, when the legislation got killed to turn preference points into bonus points, I realized continuing to buy points for sheep is a losing strategy. I was actually talking quite a bit to people there and was pretty hopefully they were going to make changes.

I will probably but this year to keep it active as they are talking about changing it again, which would at least give us a shot at some tags. But I am pretty close to writing it off.

But if you ever want to talk Dall Sheep let me know, I plan to go back to the Yukon at least one more time. Other than Tanzania, I never had a place that keeps pulling me back. Also hard to believe Desert Sheep will become the cheapest of the 4!!!

Its a great question, when the legislation got killed to turn preference points into bonus points, I realized continuing to buy points for sheep is a losing strategy. I was actually talking quite a bit to people there and was pretty hopefully they were going to make changes.

I will probably but this year to keep it active as they are talking about changing it again, which would at least give us a shot at some tags. But I am pretty close to writing it off.

But if you ever want to talk Dall Sheep let me know, I plan to go back to the Yukon at least one more time. Other than Tanzania, I never had a place that keeps pulling me back. Also hard to believe Desert Sheep will become the cheapest of the 4!!!
I’ll shoot you a PM on the sheep.

Like you I’m considering hanging in there in WY. I’m secretly hoping a bunch of people get out that are close or slightly higher. Then I’m hoping I can out last the rest given my age. I’ve even thought about doing a FOIA request to try and do a little math and see how I fall within the age structure.

I bailed on Wyoming over 20 years ago. Had I stayed in, I might be getting close. However, I have taken that money and pushed into other ventures and am glad I did. The 2000 saved went to shipping fees and upgraded trophies elsewhere.

The more I look into this the more international options I come across. All the different variations of chammis, mouflon, ibex species, as well as the tahr.

Looks like a good chunk of these hunts take place in the middle east/Asia but also across most of co tinentak Europe through the Alps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictoriaKi

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25