Which convention - 2022 DSC or 2022 HSC?

jpr9954

AH elite
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
I plan to be in Las Vegas to cover the SHOT Show in January so I hope to also get a day or two at the SCI Convention. I'll be there anyway so why not.

If you could do one more convention, which would you pick Dallas or Houston? And why?

My goal is Africa for plains game in 2023. I've heard that SCI can be a bit overwhelming and the DSC/HSC are more friendly and welcoming to the average hunter. So I'm thinking of adding one more convention to my list. Is this just duplicating what I might have seen in Las Vegas?

As stated above DSC is much more expansive. Also, yes SCI is bigger but just as friendly and welcoming as the outfitters are still trying to make sales.

Now, SCI will cost more due to membership requirements for entrance.

I also would not book anything in 2022 for 2023 would just do research as financial liquidity of outfitters is fluid. The outfitter you book with for 2023 might not be in business by the time the hunt time comes around. I usually book the year of the hunt.

DSC for sure ! Much larger and more outfitters than HSC

I plan to be in Las Vegas to cover the SHOT Show in January so I hope to also get a day or two at the SCI Convention. I'll be there anyway so why not.

If you could do one more convention, which would you pick Dallas or Houston? And why?

My goal is Africa for plains game in 2023. I've heard that SCI can be a bit overwhelming and the DSC/HSC are more friendly and welcoming to the average hunter. So I'm thinking of adding one more convention to my list. Is this just duplicating what I might have seen in Las Vegas?

Most everyone will be in Vegas. It’s the big one for sure. There will be a few outfitters just at DSC that may not be at SCI. This is because booth space is less expensive. I’ll be at both abs enjoy both. Some say more business gets done at SCI maybe because anyone can get in DSC and SCI is members only.
I enjoy both and really look forward to it.

As stated above DSC is much more expansive. Also, yes SCI is bigger but just as friendly and welcoming as the outfitters are still trying to make sales.

Now, SCI will cost more due to membership requirements for entrance.

I also would not book anything in 2022 for 2023 would just do research as financial liquidity of outfitters is fluid. The outfitter you book with for 2023 might not be in business by the time the hunt time comes around. I usually book the year of the hunt.

But hunts are booking up even for 2023 with last year being closed. It may not be as easy to book year of now. If the outfitter is at Either of these conventions they are likely in good shape.

If I had to pick one it would be DSC without question.

DSC was a great event, I was there for the 2020 show. I went to SCI the in 2017 and 2018. I would say both DSC and SCI are very similar.

note: it will be very hard not to spend money at one of those shows, so many cool things. Bring lots of extra spending money.

Am a life member of both and have been to both multiple times. I much prefer DSC. Just a friendlier environment. It is Texas after all. ;)

Am a life member of both and have been to both multiple times. I much prefer DSC. Just a friendlier environment. It is Texas after all. ;)

Agreed, I have also attended both many times and have come to the same conclusion.

I like the DSC overall over SCI. That being said, accommodations, food etc. is much more accessible on the Vegas strip than Dallas.

SCI Convention registration is open now as well as hotels. If you join MLife, the Mandalay Bay Players Club, you can get any room discounted and it is below the convention rate. I’ve already made my reservations and learned this fun fact!
As soon as Southwest opens their flight schedule to Vegas I’ll be booking that too.
Conventions are so much fun, but like has been stated bring some coin with you.

I belong to both DSC and HSC. DSC is the one that I would choose. HSC is small but growing and not even close in size to TTHA show. Give HSC about another 10 years to grow, then maybe.

I belong to both DSC and HSC. DSC is the one that I would choose. HSC is small but growing and not even close in size to TTHA show. Give HSC about another 10 years to grow, then maybe.

Concur.

HSC is great.. but for the time being DSC is the show I’d choose....

The way HSC is growing, it may catch DSC at some point.. but for now DSC is the better show IMO...

Both good Shows. One DSC advantage is it is first show of year. Exhitors are fresh and calander not booked up

Both good Shows. One DSC advantage is it is first show of year. Exhitors are fresh and calander not booked up

Exactly. I booked my Leopard/buffalo/elephant hunt on the third day of the show in 2020. CMS had only two dates available, luckily one was August which was my preference. By SCI they might have sold out.

I'll add another vote for DSC. I've been to both DSC and SCI and both are overwhelming if it's your first convention.

SCI definitely costs more as it's only open to members, not the general public. As a military man, I particularly appreciate that DSC offers free admission to military and LE.

Added bonus if you attend DSC, you can come to the AH.com dinner party. Hopefully it'll happen in 2022... @PHOENIX PHIL hint hint...

If you decide on Dallas it can be a bit overwhelming so do little strategizing. You can get a list of exhibitors in advance and also a floor layout with booth numbers. Take the time before going on the floor to write down who you want to see and what to accomplish. Keep notes. Like a kid in a candy store the show can be fun but overwhelming. Do a little planning. Oh, and wear a pair of comfortable walking shoes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg