Where to Overnight in Atlanta (with Rifles)

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by shootist~, Oct 13, 2019.

1. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    Due to the somewhat limited flights out of Albuquerque, we are going to spend the night in Atlanta in route to S.A. (Delta 200). This will be next July.

Is there a preferred place to stay that won't hassle us when we check in with rifle cases?

There is a Holiday Inn Express close to the airport that might work assuming there is no "No Guns Allowed" signs posted. But that's just guessing on my part.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

Philip Glass likes this.

2. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    If you are flying into Atlanta on Delta, can't you just check your luggage and firearm straight through to Africa? Keep your carry -on with you.

3. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    Hi Shootist43,
    I asked Lori at Travel Express the same thing, since she is booking our flights. (All legs are on Delta, btw.) She indicates we cannot leave luggage at the airport overnight. We will have to take it with us and re-check the following day.

4. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Just call the hotel that you are looking at and ask them. Ask for the manager and not just the front desk clerk

Philip Glass and shootist~ like this.

5. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    There is a relatively new Hilton Garden Inn I have used. I would not use the Hilton.

shootist~ likes this.

6. greyfox

greyfox AH Fanatic

This is Georgia - everyone has a gun! Hotel policy aside, I'd not say a word, just check in and go to your room. Firearms are in a locked case, etc. do not dress like you're going hunting - I think more people get alarmed by the dress and appearance of the person rather than a hard case with golf clubs or a musical instrument in it.

I was in Arizona and booked a room because I had an early flight out. Once there I saw the No Firearms sticker; walked right in with my rifle in a hard case and luggage - no one said a word.

Rob404, GA Hunter, ufg8r93 and 3 others like this.

7. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    You have all day why cant you get to ATL? DL200 is an evening flight. It looks like there is a nonstop on Delta from ABQ to ATL. Does it not work out on your dates? I’d ask more questions of @Travel Express on this one. There must be a way to get there in a day.
    Regards,
    Philip

8. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    Well, yes - there is a 6:00 AM flight out of ABQ that would get us to Atlanta with an all day layover...that plus checking in at 3 or 4 AM and hoping TSA had the right personell on duty. We elected not to take it. The early afternoon flight would have put us in Atlanta about 55 minutes before Delta 200 left, so that was a no go. Then there was puddle jumping all day long on non Delta flights....

Philip Glass likes this.

9. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I agree with this 100%. Pick one of the hotels close and just move through without a mention of the guns. There aren’t many places here that don’t allow guns. You won’t have an issue.

BD

GL1960 and shootist~ like this.

10. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    Sounds like a plan.

Thanks, everyone.

11. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    I havent asked about "policy".. but for what its worth, I have checked into Hampton Inn hotels (owned by hilton) with obvious long gun cases on several occasions, in several places.. and never once have gotten so much as an ill look.. never had anyone ask whats in the case.. tell me I cant have guns.. etc..

Same thing with Marriott select service hotels like the Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Courtyard, etc.. I've taken long guns into lots of them over the years.. all over the country.. and never had a problem at all..

Granted, it was in Texas.. but about 18 months ago my wife and I stayed at a Residence Inn about an hour north of Houston.. and there was a firearms "swap meet" going on in one of the conference rooms.. they actually had a sign in the lobby.. and people were coming and going all day bringing both handguns and long guns in the open (no case, etc) through the lobby..

I think its pretty safe to say Marriot doesnt care if you check in with a long gun in a case :)

shootist~ likes this.

12. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I have stayed at a number of motel/hotels over the years without any problem. Granted I do not stay at the high end, for the rich libtards, better than everyone else type of motels. All I need is a clean bed/bath and maybe internet. No need for 5-Star+ rooms/services/dining------especially for one night. After all I will have that in Africa. :) I just pay for my room and haul my luggage and rifle case to it.

shootist~ likes this.

13. 3S Safaris

3S Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Canada, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas
    Been awhile but we stayed at a Best Western with no troubles. Stay with a major brand with a free shuttle service and you should have no troubles , but due to the size of guncases can be troublesome if a lot of people trying to go so I would call ahead and let them know so you are not stuck waiting.

shootist~ likes this.

14. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    If they ask tell them it’s a case for a classic electric guitar and move on to your room.

15. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I believe that I read on here a few years ago that to prevent thief of the gun case you should plaster it with music stickers.

More like urban cammo

16. thriller

thriller AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NWTF, NRA, DU and QDMA
    Hunted:
    Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
    What about that hotel that’s in the airport

17. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    One of the guys likes Hilton, because of the points they can accumulate. However, on checking he thinks the Atlanta Airport Hilton has no guns policy posted.

We are leaning toward the nearby Holiday Inn Express ( with shuttle). I've never had an issue with them when traveling.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Philip Glass likes this.

18. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    The Atlanta airport Hilton is not a great hotel. Some pretty undesirable folks hang out there. Try the HGI. It’s new, quiet and comfortable.

19. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    No matter how you do it getting to Africa is a pain! Does Emirates from DFW not work for you? Or Qatar? Seems it is worth checking out you have time versus an overnight at ATL.

20. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    That is one option. The consensus though is people would rather steal a guitar than a gun bc it's easier to get rid of