Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA, SCI, NAHC, RMEF, NBU, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, RSA
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on where to hunt. I'm thinking Roe Buck, Red Stag, Boar and maybe a Fallow Deer. I'm thinking about Romania, Poland, Hungary or Austria as I've never been to any of these countries and always like to experience something new.

Where is the best hunting for the price? I would like to stay away from the sliding trophy fees but know that is the European way. Doesn't have to be luxurious, just clean, warm and good food.

Consider Serbia, and Croatia as well.
Consider hunting season.

Speaking strictly for Croatia, hunting season for roe buck is from 16 April till 30 September.
For red deer hunting season is from 16 August till 15 february.
Boar hunting season is all year long
Fallow deer hunting season is from 16 September till 15 February.

To have overlapping in hunting season for all 4 you really have time period from 16 September till 30 September.
Roe deer by end of September, is hard to get. Most quotas are almost fulfilled, and roe deer is resting deep in woods, after mating season, having discrete life, and collecting fat for winter. Hard to find, and with minimum activity.

If you discard roe deer, then you will have wider time frame. for red, fallow and boar.
more over in September and early october is fallow and red deer rut, they are vey active. Hunted by stalking, calling or from high stand
In most countries, driven hunts start as well - with note, that driven hunts are mostly for wild boar. But that can depend from country to country.

Also, note for trophy size boar in free range hunting areas, is very hard to guarantee the trophy size. Old boars are smart. Almost without exception they are hunted during night from high stand, or in driven hunts. In both cases luck is major factor.

How ever, hunts in fall give best experience to hunter, when hunting red stag in rut, and boar in driven hunts

roe deer 2021.jpg

I really enjoy hunting in Poland. Is roe buck your primary animal or is your goal obtaining multiple species? Like mark-hunter said. September isn’t the best time for roe deer. Best time for roe deer is generally May and the rut in late July/early August. The hunt I did was sold on fixed pricing and was advertised as roe deer and boar, with the boar hunting at night. I wasn’t interested in the boars, but my guides actually shot one after dropping me off at hotel on their return home. If your goal is multiple species you should go during stag roar and make that your primary species. In Poland at least, and I think most European countries, if you remove fallow deer it will open up a lot more areas for you to take red stag, roe buck, and boar without changing areas mid-hunt.

I really enjoy hunting in Poland. Is roe buck your primary animal or is your goal obtaining multiple species? Like mark-hunter said. September isn’t the best time for roe deer. Best time for roe deer is generally May and the rut in late July/early August. The hunt I did was sold on fixed pricing and was advertised as roe deer and boar, with the boar hunting at night. I wasn’t interested in the boars, but my guides actually shot one after dropping me off at hotel on their return home. If your goal is multiple species you should go during stag roar and make that your primary species. In Poland at least, and I think most European countries, if you remove fallow deer it will open up a lot more areas for you to take red stag, roe buck, and boar without changing areas mid-hunt.
Thanks for your input. The boar and fallow are really add on's. My primary species is the roe deer and red stag. Enjoyed your report.

It is doable, but like @mark-hunter said you would be looking at the end of september hunt.

There are loads of options. Are you taking you wife with you? If so near Paris, France is something to consider. But there are loads of options. First begin with where you want to hunt in Europe.

I know a polish gamewarden where one can hunt for a fairly low amount of money. Perfect english speaking, good food and good accumodations. The area is in eastern Poland where among people like Hermann Göring hunted. I have been there and can vouch for it.
gwrFvdsl.jpg
OzTivbNl.jpg
Sc76ocsl.jpg
sNqmwSIl.jpg
y2CKe9El.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input. The boar and fallow are really add on's. My primary species is the roe deer and red stag. Enjoyed your report.
Something to consider if this is strictly a hunting vacation, European hunts are short and very easy to travel to. You take an evening flight from USA and land in Europe in morning and start hunting in afternoon. You could do a two part hunt to take advantage of best timeframes for roe deer and stag. Hunt roe deer and boar earlier in year, then hunt red stag and fallow end of September.

It is doable, but like @mark-hunter said you would be looking at the end of september hunt.
To check hunting seasons locally, and local ways as it can be different in different countries.
For example in France, if not mistaken, they can use shotguns for roe deer, and hunt them in driven hunts, for example.
So, first is to chose country, then local season for each animal, and hunt specifics, then to go.

Thanks for all the information. Think I'll make plans for roe deer now and the red stag at a later time.

Hungary is said to have the biggest roe. I’ve hunted them in Hungary, England and Scotland, and am told that many sportsmen follow the roe season across Europe. Pannovad is who I hunted w in Hungary. We were on private land every other time. Budapest is a great city, and hunting traditions of the Austro-Hungarian empire are theatrical and ancient and something to experience. You might be able to tack on a red stag hunt in Hungary, but might have to move acros the country. Ask Toni or Peter Horn at Pannovad. Peter wrote a good book on hunting Hungary and Romania that you should be able to get on AMZN.

Last edited:
Hungary is said to have the biggest roe. I’ve hunted them in Hungary, England and Scotland, and am told that many sportsmen follow the roe season across Europe. Pannovad is who I hunted w in Hungary. We were on private land every other time. Budapest is a great city, and hunting traditions of the Austro-Hungarian empire are theatrical and ancient and something to experience. You might be able to tack on a red stag hunt in Hungary, but might have to move acros the country. Ask Toni or Peter Horn at Pannovad. Peter wrote a good book on hunting Hungary and Romania that you should be able to get on AMZN.
Do you have any contact info for Peter and Toni. My Google search isn't showing any.

I know of roe deer from back home in Sweden.
Tiny little deer, like a Labrador But still delicious.

Most people sit in stands to hunt, not sure what the laws are in Italy on feeding them and trailcams. Shotguns works on them.

So, the quest is now search for best area.
The best, strongest roe buck are traditionally found in the area where in prehistoric times was Panonian Sea.
WIki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonian_Sea

The sea dried up, and soil below is full of minerals and salts from the seas origin. (when digging the dirt, even shells from that period can be found there)

So, the minerals and salts get in grass, and effect the grow of antlers, which is probably the reason for the strongest roe bucks in Europe. This is also agricultural part of the area, with corns, fields, crops, etc, that supplements roe deer natural diet. So, they grow fat, and strong.

The area is north east Part of Croatia, North Part of Serbia, and southeast part of Hungary.
This is where you will find the strongest roes bucks.

This is for european roe buck Capreolus capreolus (up to 35 kg body mass)

The strongest roe bucks in the WORLD are another species, Siberian roe buck Capreolus pygargus. (up to 60 kg body mass), signifcantly stronger in body, and in size of antlers - but that is another subject. (Hunting in russsia..)

Panonian Sea.jpg

As others have said, Roe bucks dont overlap that well for a joint trip. Any of the places you have mentioned will have great Roe buck stalking. Red stags I dont know much about Austria but Poland, Hungary and Romania has fantastic red stags (im sure Austria does too, i just dont know much about it). Fallow bucks I would be going to Hungary or Romania. Wild Boar ive gone after in Poland and Hungary and had good trips to both. Feel free to drop me a PM for any outfitters ive used or other questions.

I know a polish gamewarden where one can hunt for a fairly low amount of money. Perfect english speaking, good food and good accumodations. The area is in eastern Poland where among people like Hermann Göring hunted. I have been there and can vouch for it.View attachment 496270View attachment 496271View attachment 496272View attachment 496273View attachment 496274
Hello, I would like the name and contact information for the game warden that you hunted with please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I just want to mention a problem:
The hunting seasons for the roedeer and the red stag (and fallow deer) are differents.
The red stag has his trophy between September and April, when he loose the antlers. On August, many deers still have velvet (principally, the biggest ones)
The roedeer loose the antlers on September-October, The bigger ones, earlier and have ready the trophy at the end of April.
It's difficult to find days that coincide to obtain the two trophies, maybe some days on september, it depends of the weather that year.
On Spain the legal seasons are differents: May to septembre for the roedeer, October to February for red stag and fallow deer.

That is way too early, roe deer begin to lose their antlers in October- november. The younger bucks later than the older ones. But maybe their is some different between regions. In september I never see them without the antlers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg