AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
My dream is to one day go on an elephant hunt, and if I ever win the lottery I'm going to do it ( unfortunately that's the only way I'll be able to). Obviously, with a dream like that, I need to get a suitable rifle, one that starts with a .4.
My question is , where does one find a large caliber rifle? I know most gun shops could order one for me, but I need to hold and look over a rifle first and preferably, I'd like to be able to hold a couple different ones side by side and compare. I have been working near Tulsa OK for the last year, where a lot of stores sell the same, most popular guns and that's it. There are several gun shows here every year, but the sellers there haven't yet heard of the internet and don't understand that when they price a used and abused gun at 30percent higher than new, people now have the ability to check.
So I will keep watching for deals here, and checking out gun shows but if anyone has any ideas on where else to look, please let me know.
Thank you.

LOL. My fingers frequently get dyslexia too.

If you have a Cabelas in your area there are allways a bunch of 416, 458, 459/400 there and for $25 they will ship any rifle to the one that is closest to you. I have got both a Ruger #1 in 300WM and a Ruger M77 Hawkeyes in 375 Ruger that way for a good price. My guess is the bigger ones were used to get the DG and then traded in to get something else.

Forgot to say look in the Gun Library!!

My dream is to one day go on an elephant hunt, and if I ever win the lottery I'm going to do it ( unfortunately that's the only way I'll be able to). Obviously, with a dream like that, I need to get a suitable rifle, one that starts with a .4.
My question is , where does one find a large caliber rifle? I know most gun shops could order one for me, but I need to hold and look over a rifle first and preferably, I'd like to be able to hold a couple different ones side by side and compare. I have been working near Tulsa OK for the last year, where a lot of stores sell the same, most popular guns and that's it. There are several gun shows here every year, but the sellers there haven't yet heard of the internet and don't understand that when they price a used and abused gun at 30percent higher than new, people now have the ability to check.
So I will keep watching for deals here, and checking out gun shows but if anyone has any ideas on where else to look, please let me know.
And yes, J J has heard of the internet and uses it quite effectively.
Thank you.

You can find plenty of .40 caliber and larger rifles at the Tulsa Show every year held in April and November at the fairgrounds, and they mostly are fair priced. That is the largest show in the US if not the world. If that doesn't work, drive 100 miles west to Champlin Firearms in Enid. J.J. Perodeau can show you more than a few. None of these rifles are cheap, some are just less expensive than others.

Go to George Caswell's excellent store, "Champlin Arms", located at Enid, Oklahoma to examine in person, many large bore rifles.
Also, his web site is:
www.champlinarms.com

As everyone has said, conventions (DSC, SCI, others), Cabelas, or if you want to get really fancy, fly to the factory and get one custom fitted to you!

Dude. You obviously haven't been to the Tulsa Gun Show http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/ You will be able to handle any number of .375 plus rifles at that amazing gun show.

Where do you find a big gun? At a big gun store, of course!
I'd look at Gunbroker too. Used, big caliber guns don't get shot a whole lot, so the barrels aren't going to be warn out. New Rugers, Rems, Winchesters, CZ are too expensive either.

Yep, been to many gun shows , including the big one, in the last year here. Honestly, not that impressed. Prices are high and too crowded. That doesn't mean I won't be there the next time it comes around though.

I am hoping to take a Friday and Saturday off work to go to DSC this year. I seems awfully expensive,but I've heard it's really great to see. Also, I have a hunt booked with KMG next June, so I thought it would be cool to meet the famous Marius there. Didn't know there would be firearm's dealers there too. Thanks for the tip.

Champlin Arms looks awesome! I had never heard of it before. Now to find a way to visit them during business hours.
As always on this site, it's "ask and ye shall receive"

Thanks all for the great ideas!

Once you go to DSC, you will be spoiled for good. As you said you weren't aware of Champlin's in Enid, you will see and learn many things at DSC you are not aware of also. Keep up with our site, there will most likely be a AH dinner on Friday or Sat night in which you can meet a lot of people that you only know by screen name here!

Dong's guns in Tulsa usually has plenty of 375 up rifles in stock. Their prices aren't the best but you can find one that fits and then shop it.

Cody

Cabelas in Wichita KS is only a few hrs from you, we had a 458Lott Ruger on the shelf for about 6mos, beside about 9 or 10 other DG cartridge rifles. Gander Mountain across town almost never has anything big, but they've had 416 and 375 Ruger Guide Guns one or the other for some time - these match up for handling to ANY of the Guide Guns too. Cabelas is the place to look at the big ones here though. The Kansas City Cabelas has had a handful off and on when I've stopped there, but oddly not as typical as what I've seen in the Wichita store.

I picked up a nice used CZ550 in 375HH from Cabelas which I Promptly sent to a GS and re-barreled and re Chambered to 404J, but theres plenty of 416 out there and for reasonable money. I'd maybe research 375HH which can be used on DG but also makes a Nice plains game rifle, and theres always a 375 conversation going on around here

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Winchester Model 70's. They are fantastic guns for just a mite under $1,500, ready to go out of the box. They come in .375 H&H, .416 Remington Mag and .458 Winchester. I would think you could have a .458 Winnie opened up and bored out for .458 Lott without too much trouble.

Also, as I am saving for a buff hunt in 2020 or 2021, just set your priorities. I hear a lot of people at my LGS, when I tell them I am planning an african DG hunt, say "Oh if I ever win the lottery, I'll go too..." Then they cash out with their 19% interest credit card, get into their $50,000 truck that the bank mostly owns and drive to their $300,000 house that the bank mostly owns. It's all about priorities. I make enough money to finance a nice car, but I drive around in a $3,500 Hyundai and my home is a duplex so that my tenant mostly pays my mortgage for me. I have paid off all my credit cards and save as much as I can so that when I go to Africa, I can do it on my own dime, not on a loan. I have nothing against loans, but I refuse to pay the bank 20% more than I borrowed just to have them loan me some money.

If you are willing to make sacrifices, you can ABSOLUTELY buy an elephant hunt. In fact, look into cow hunts as, from what I have read, they are more dangerous and exciting than bulls anyway. In the meantime, pick a good .400+ rifle and have fun shooting it at the range. I just ordered a .416 Ruger and I can't wait to get it! Best of luck!

You could also look into having a one built on a P17 or Remington 30 action ( I don't remember if it's the A or S version that can be used for magnum rifles). May not be as pretty as a CZ, or Winchester, etc but it will be functional and budget friendly. Another "cheaper " choice would be a Zastava. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's one strong Mauser action. I have the Mark X version in 7x57 which shoots very well. There are Mauser K98 clones that can be used as well.
Good article if choosing the custom built route: http://www.chuckhawks.com/actions_custom_rifles.htm

You don't need to spend silly amounts of money for DG rifle. Heck I think it was Walter Bell shot the vast majority of his elephants with a 7x57 using 173gr FMJ's! Granted he knew what he was doing and was a bit nuts IMO.
It's all about shot placement. You could make a lousy hit on an animal with a 700 NE and still see it get up and get totally pissed at you. I shot a whitetail deer with a 450 Rigby (long story) at about 25yds. It wasn't the best shot. The shot knocked it about 20ft backwards but it still got up and ran about 60yds before going down for good.

You need to decide what you are comfortable shooting. A 375H&H or 9.3x62 is a good start. I really like my 404 Jeffery. It has a bit more recoil that my BRNO (probably because it weights 8.5lbs with scope vs 11lbs with scope for my 375H&H BRNO) but it is easy to shoot. It can be used for all of your African DG.

Neat thing is having fun trying all the different rifles and finding one that you are comfortable with and can shoot well from ALL shooting positions.......except prone......that's owchie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg