Where do I start for building a 9.3 Ruger?

Maybe you could share some background - never heard of it - guessing a .375 or .416 Ruger case sized to 9.3?

Yup not a 9.3 I have heard of...

Yes, obviously I meant using the 375 Ruger case, necked down to 9.3.

Look something like this.

20210129_124037_copy_954x1315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no illusions it was a commercial chambering. Just did not want to make assumptions...

In the midst of .22LR, 5.56, and .308WIN shortages, Winchester comes out with the 6.8 Western - so was this another AR wunderkind? Just being sure...

You would have to send drawings of the reamer you want to Pacific Tool and Gauge or JGS to get the reamer cut/ground.

Then buy a barrel in 9.3 at the twist rate you want and find a riflesmith that can chamber rifles.

Probably would also need to send drawings to RCBS custom shop for them to make dies.

I had no illusions it was a commercial chambering. Just did not want to make assumptions...

In the midst of .22LR, 5.56, and .308WIN shortages, Winchester comes out with the 6.8 Western - so was this another AR wunderkind? Just being sure...

You would have to send drawings of the reamer you want to Pacific Tool and Gauge or JGS to get the reamer cut/ground.

Then buy a barrel in 9.3 at the twist rate you want and find a riflesmith that can chamber rifles.

Probably would also need to send drawings to RCBS custom shop for them to make dies.
Funny you mention that crazy 6.8. Just seen an ad for yet another AR cartridge by Hornady. The 6mm ARC ? I don't get it personally lol

PS: my last post had a line of smileys, that somehow didn't transfer. It looks bitchy without the emojis, it was meant as sarcasm lol

This 9.3, he and I have discussed for awhile. Looking 2500-2600 with a 286 grain bullet, and stay at 59k psi or under.

Can you scratch this itch with the .35 Whelen?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but there is factory ammo and a small quantity of rifles out there - your 9.3 Ruger is a total "build one from scratch" proposal. If that is still what you want to do just because, that is a good enough reason for me to cheer you on.

I have read on the reliable interweb: The military is transitioning to a 6.8mm. Bids have gone out for ammunition and build specs. Ammo mfgs. have submitted different versions. Most likely, will then become a mainstream cartridge.

I have read on the reliable interweb: The military is transitioning to a 6.8mm. Bids have gone out for ammunition and build specs. Ammo mfgs. have submitted different versions. Most likely, will then become a mainstream cartridge.
Believe that was the 6.8 SPC. Should be interesting

For reamer and free consulting on the cartridge design specs. (so they can grind the chamber reamer for a successful project) contact:

David Kiff, Pacific Tool & Gage (PTG)

He does this stuff in his sleep. There may be a reamer
design already out there.

Also, research if anyone has necked down a .375 H&H case to 9.3mm. That reloading data would be a good place to start. That is how reloaders attacked the .375 Ruger when it first came out.

Buds

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.09 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.11 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.12 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.34.15 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
don't quote me on this but a 9.3/375 ruger might have more capacity than the 9.3x64.
if so it would have some punch
the neckdown would be a fairly small one.
this looks like an interesting project.
another consideration might be a 338 win mag necked up to 9.3, and it would be a ballistic twin to the 9.3x64.
in fact almost the same case but with a belt.
there is one based on the 350 rem mag that is a waste of time due to retarded case capacity.
the ruger case necked down will require quality bullets, as many 9.3 bullets were set up for the velocities of the 9.3x62, and are insufficient even for the x64.
bruce.

Dave Manson, Manson Precision Reamers. He’ll make you a reamer that cuts on all flutes like they are supposed to (your gunsmith will thank you) and actually cares that you are a real living and breathing customer.

There are some choices for a 9.3 barrel but not every manufacturer makes them. Lilja has the tooling. I’ve had good luck with Wilson barrels from Ragged Hole, he stocks 9.3 but his are too heavy a contour. McGowan also has 9.3. The only cut rifled barrels I’ve seen in 9.3 are JES rebores.

I like the idea of where you’re going, I say go for it.

it's all good, and a great journey.
this includes the std 9.3x64 if your boltface is not too big.
bruce.
Talking about rebarreling my Ruger Alaskan .375. So it has the .532" bolt face. If memory serves, the 9.3x64 needs a .308 bolt face, slightly opened up.

don't quote me on this but a 9.3/375 ruger might have more capacity than the 9.3x64.
if so it would have some punch
the neckdown would be a fairly small one.
this looks like an interesting project.
another consideration might be a 338 win mag necked up to 9.3, and it would be a ballistic twin to the 9.3x64.
in fact almost the same case but with a belt.
there is one based on the 350 rem mag that is a waste of time due to retarded case capacity.
the ruger case necked down will require quality bullets, as many 9.3 bullets were set up for the velocities of the 9.3x62, and are insufficient even for the x64.
bruce.
Thanks for the insight! This is just something my friend and I have been batting around for awhile. I never had any interest in the .366 stuff until I met him. He's doing a pretty good job training me on all things Africa. I'm getting pretty good at identifying tracks now lol He loves the 9.3x62, but does his "guiding" with a .416 Rigby.

My eventual goal, is to have this rifle built, and give it to him when I go after my buffalo. Im just not sure if US guns can even stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Al Gamecock

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you