When did Tanzania become so expensive and why?

WilhelmM

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
I mean no disrespect to any of the outfitters operating in Tanzania but the prices are just ridiculous at this point. Hopefully, the prices will eventually drop but there doesn't seem to be any reason for the prices to be as high as they are. I understand that Tanzania is a classic safari destination and of course, it would make sense to charge a little more than other African countries but not to this degree. I understand that all the money goes directly to conservation and what-not, but you can't really expect a significant amount of hunters' dollars to pay for conservation if they can't even afford it. Maybe the Tanzanian government is inept and believes that everyone outside of their country is rich (most of us aren't) or the USFWS feels the need to get involved yet again even though they have zero experience with African wildlife.

O, my... I went this direction, made my reasearch, and I will rephrase the question.
There are no "other African countries" where you can happilly go hunting, on budget.
There is only South Africa and Namibia. (Speical cases) Full stop.

The reason for economic pricing there is system of succesful game ranching, or game farming.
You can hunt on a budget on the farm, And in many cases in low or high fence. And in some cases (Namibia, farmland, and conservancies) out of fence, limited number of species.
A lot has been written here on the forum about fenced hunting, but do not jump to conclusion, it is not free range, or that every farm is "put and take - ear tagged animals". Certainly it is not the case

The farms are triving, full logisitc is set up and in place, transport established (mostly by roads, with some cases by charter plane) and then you also have healthy competition where pricing is acceptable, on supply and demand basis. Foreign hunters are coming in large numbers.
It is my estimate 80% of all safaris are conducted in South Africa and Namibia. And maybe 20% of safaris in the rest of Africa. Game farming, gave us the otpion, first time in history that middle and working class western hunter, can finance, go to safari and taste Africa.

South Africa and Namibia are also, a great conservation success, as the numbers of game continously grow. These two countries saved from extintion number of notable species by this system, on hunters dollars, to name few: rhino, black and white, black wildebeest, bontebok, etc....

You move away to safari in African true wilderness - away from farm land - say in Namibia, you will get similar prices as "the rest of" Africa. (Check for example pricing for safaris in Caprivi strip, Namibia)
But this is not then "a farm", it is wilderness. Concession fees, camp staff, anti poaching team, flying by local charter plane, maintenance and logistics of camp in wilderness... etc...

I was reading recently an old article, in Gun Digest, issue of mid 50-ties. Lets say 1955 (approximately), good full bag safari at that time, hunting 1-1, the price estimated then was 10.000 USD (Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda - All east Africa). This safari will include some of big 5, but not all.
Historically converting money from 1955 to today, would be cca 100.000 USD. (infaltion calculator available online). Pricing does not change too much, after 7 decades.

Think if you look you will find this has been done before
Yes, it has however the question wasn't answered and instead, everyone went into a tangent about all sorts of other things. That's why I started this thread in the hopes that people would actually pay attention this time.

Yes, it has however the question wasn't answered and instead, everyone went into a tangent about all sorts of other things. That's why I started this thread in the hopes that people would actually pay attention this time.

Was in the one I saw....you have big expenses running camps etc hundreds of kms from base....years ago day rate was high but trophy fees were low compared to other countries ...also more animals on quota per hunt ..ie 21 day 3 buff ..other species 2..then as governments do they said thata countries trophy fees are lot higher...so put them.up...then other countries looked at this and decided to put theirs up...also minimum bids for the concessions were raised...same as what happened in other countries providing wild area hunts....and yes I think there is a perception that people from overseas that hunt have lots of money....the companies were running very big anti poaching operations as well...the reason a lot have given their areas back is that the lion and elephant hunts were the icing on the cake ,...their profit...the other hunts paid for running costs..anti poaching community projects....etc....but with usfw stopping imports they couldn't keep operating...some tried but couldn't absorb the losses while waiting in hope for a change of policy....not being rude but yet again you are coming out with simplistic statements that just dont work....dont hold your breath for prices to drop the operators will have stopped before that happens....as I said lots of costs you haven't even thought about

Was in the one I saw....you have big expenses running camps etc hundreds of kms from base....years ago day rate was high but trophy fees were low compared to other countries ...also more animals on quota per hunt ..ie 21 day 3 buff ..other species 2..then as governments do they said thata countries trophy fees are lot higher...so put them.up...then other countries looked at this and decided to put theirs up...also minimum bids for the concessions were raised...same as what happened in other countries providing wild area hunts....and yes I think there is a perception that people from overseas that hunt have lots of money....the companies were running very big anti poaching operations as well...the reason a lot have given their areas back is that the lion and elephant hunts were the icing on the cake ,...their profit...the other hunts paid for running costs..anti poaching community projects....etc....but with usfw stopping imports they couldn't keep operating...some tried but couldn't absorb the losses while waiting in hope for a change of policy....not being rude but yet again you are coming out with simplistic statements that just dont work....dont hold your breath for prices to drop the operators will have stopped before that happens....as I said lots of costs you haven't even thought about
Yes, I'm well aware of the camps being very remote and air charters always being pricey. I was just hoping that there may have been another reason but this is about what I'm going to get which is fine. As for me making "simplistic statements" I guess I'm sorry that we had a disagreement over the Selous a few weeks back? If that's what you're referring to...

50% of hunting blocks could not be leased (in 2018) because the ruling ones can't get their necks full.
"Corruption Perceptions Index" ranks Tanzania 99th in 2019, ahead of Kenya (137) .
At least a ray of hope

Government imposed fee's and licenses add a lot to the cost of a Safari. A 21 day license and fee's are approx $7600
I believe the safari operator has to purchase the yearly quota, or a percentage of, the concession(s), even if they don't sell the entire quota.

Some interesting answers in this article.

50% of hunting blocks could not be leased (in 2018) because the ruling ones can't get their necks full.
"Corruption Perceptions Index" ranks Tanzania 99th in 2019, ahead of Kenya (137) .
At least a ray of hope

What does that mean?

What does that mean?
The free hunting blocks were all much too expensive.Would never have been profitable for the decent Outfitter.One beats still what on it and hopes: one will already be so stupid and it lease.
Not so few oligarchs lease the blocks over straw men because money plays no role.
There is the same with us, even if in a smaller dimension. And the owners believe it always goes only upwards.
But at some point, even the greatest fun has a hole.

it would make sense to charge a little more than other African countries but not to this degree. I understand that all the money goes directly to conservation

Things like that...nothing to do with other thread...but as I said on that one you try to compare to what you know..and other countries aren't the same

Things like that...nothing to do with other thread...but as I said on that one you try to compare to what you know..and other countries aren't the same
I understand that. Please understand that I'm simply trying to learn more from others' experiences and I don't mean any disrespect.

I suspect part of the reason is people are willing to pay more to hunt Tanzania. There are a wide variety of hunt animals located in a variety of adventurous romantic areas located in remote spots. Tented camps with lion and hyena prowling at night. Vistas in the morning and afternoon worthy of lifetime memories. I have a hunch costs imposed by government may be higher than in other African areas. A Tanzania safari is a delightful vacation. In contrast, decades ago, my first hunt in the C.A.R. I realized hunting was a way of life for me, not a pastime. Kindest Regards

I suspect part of the reason is people are willing to pay more to hunt Tanzania. There are a wide variety of hunt animals located in a variety of adventurous romantic areas located in remote spots. Tented camps with lion and hyena prowling at night. Vistas in the morning and afternoon worthy of lifetime memories. I have a hunch costs imposed by government may be higher than in other African areas. A Tanzania safari is a delightful vacation. In contrast, decades ago, my first hunt in the C.A.R. I realized hunting was a way of life for me, not a pastime. Kindest Regards
Thanks for your response, @Happy Myles

My understanding is that government fees (concession and quota) are much higher in TZ. Add to that extremely high air charter rates and some of the more difficult logistics in Africa and you have a much more expensive hunt to conduct. Does it justify the difference? I really don’t know. A remote buffalo hunt in Tanzania is close to double what one can be had for in Zim, Zambia or Mozambique. I would love to hunt Tanzania but it is hard to justify the premium on my budget.

Expensive is a bit of a subjective term. One guy might scrape up the $10K to go to RSA game ranch or Alaska for an ungulate once in a lifetime. Another fly’s around in a $40mil Gulfstream jet costing $8K per hour and doesn’t care if it’s $100K to go to Tanzania.

When I got out of the lodge business in Alaska 12 years ago we were basically $1000/day per person for fly out fishing/lodging. That scared a lot of people with real money off. Too cheap.

I suspect there are additional costs in Tanzania due to government and travel issues, but also the vendors have chosen to cater to folks who aren’t going into debt to take a vacation. Those folks are WAY easier to deal with, generally speaking.

Sounds like some govt costs have been mentioned

From what I understand from one if the Bullet Safaris zoom meetings, the camps must be taken down after each season. That added cost, plus storing them in the off season

Then theres good old supply and demand. From unique plains game to just wanting to hunt in the areas from the "old days", people are clearly just willing to pay the prices

Subjective yes! I wish I could fly business on every long flight but it would severely limit my travel, period. If I were limited to only 75-100 K safaris, it would eliminate that opportunity completely as it would probably most of us. I think Tanzania has been high cost for a long time. The reasons may be varied but there have always been enough well healed hunters to supply the market for that high dollar adventure. Some destinations are literally controlled by international money and power most of us have no concept of- Middle East oil money and Russian power come to mind. I think also, many have read, including those with a ton of money, such classics as Horn of the Hunter and Green Hills of Africa and even watched Hatari.... all these included areas of that part of East Africa, so the "romance" of the location was established, sealed if you will, as being the gold standard for the modern safari. When Kenya went away in the 70s that basically left Tanzania. If you had the money you went to Tanzania. Pretty simple really. Nothing wrong with it nor with having a ton of money... wish I did. That's not the point anyway. And now the Selous is being chopped, opened up and promoted for other reasons...will likely really be damaged for good. A real loss in the long term. So, did the high dollar safari in the Selous help it stay as it was intended??? No. So that is my only real concern with high cost, exclusionary destinations like Tanzania. It may benefit a few on both sides of the business model in the short, but long term support and power for sustaining anything is political in nature. Political clout means lots of people being in favor of or demanding its continuation. Not just the few. That would be my concern with an excessively high cost system anywhere. Tanzania is just an example.

Gov't increased fees back in 2007(?) I think. It was quite the large increase at the time and it has kept them at the top of the pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg